Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RWYB at Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds ,GA Oct. 29, 2016

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Can't wait :cool: Got new lexan for the door windows, tach adapter for the 6al and starter heat shield coming. None of which will make me any quicker :rolleyes: but is much needed in my case.

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Am I remembering correctly? Was thinking your coupe was open engine, sorta surprised at starter heat problems.

3. Yeah them darn headers have cooked two Tilton style mini-starters and is working on the third.

The overheating was generally a problem putting around town. Stopping here, stopping there and shutting the car off each time. It has give me a fit but I hope to solve that as soon as Speedway decides to ship my shtuff :mad: May have to send Blacksmith Tom to ride to Nebraska to tighten them rascals up :D

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't remember whether you have inside the frame headers or fenderwell type with no fenders. Must be inside the frame to have that much heat.
    Is your fuel mixture correct and timing not retarded?

5. 1) Inside the frame headers and they collect right at the starter.
    2) Fuel mixture unsure of, as in with the low vacuum due to the bumpstick along with the lack of experience with the Holley. I couldn't get the optimum vacuum reading on my gauge while adjusting the air/fuel mix screws. I believe it's a little fat, but I don't want it too lean, especially on the big end.
    3) Timing, I have yet to put a light on it. Haven't really felt the need to. I have changed the plugs and wires and it starts up reasonably fine after warming up. Probably due for a distributor cap and rotor button by now. I have not tried to start it up since dry fouling the plugs and changing them with a hotter plug. I wanted to wait until I got all my parts together and installed.

It does have a MSD 6AL ignition box along with a magnetically triggered MSD distributor with no port for vacuum advance.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This conv ersation does help keep the thread near top, but I think you and I need to talk a bit about your tune up procedures and "dry fouled" plugs. Will try to give you a call soon. When is a good time to talk a while on the phone?

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wow!!!!!!! I got distracted (don't ask), for a big ol' five days, and yall let this thread get down almost 25 pages!

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This time it's down 4 pages in 14 hours. HAMB moves fast.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm hearing good reports about the new surface At SDR.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget there's free camping Fri. and Sat night.

11. How many wieners are in this pic?

[​IMG]

12. ^^^ :D :D ^^^

Well the tach adapter, lexan and heat shield finally arrived :rolleyes: I am going to slap these on and go from there.

I'd like to find some cheap window regulators so I don't have to "bolt" in the side windows.

13. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Well SIM is over and as before it was GREAT!!! Now I can look forward to RWYB in Reynolds GA in October to be a smaller but just as fun event!! Be there for sure!

tylercrawford and GAOldsman like this.
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yep, time to start making plans for RWYB now that SIM is history(and great history).
    I'm planning on a few pounds less air in slicks, a higher launch rpm, a higher setting on the rev limiter, and maybe a shift light, as I can't read the tach too well at speed as it's right behind the banjo wheel spokes. Been just trying to run it up til it stutters from the rev limiter, and may be losing a little time by doing that.
    Scot, there's a place in/around Forsyth, GA that sells/ installs power windows in hot rods. I realize you prolly ain't too interested in power windows, but these are the type they install in glass repro cars, and designed to install where there are no regulators and tracks already there.
    I'm assuming since your car is an old oval track car that the regulators and tracks, etc. are all gone, and this just might be the easiest, and if you count time searching for stuff, and cheapest way to go.
    Let me know if interested and I'll see what I can find out about the name and contact info.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  15. Sounds good Dave. Trying to do something before I do the door panels. Which are needed prior to even thinking about stabbing in the four speed back in. This is due to the sharp metal all around where my knees would ride. My Dad didn't have that issue, but his legs were shorter than mine. His issue with the four speed was the pedal pressure and his back problems.

I do see where Speedway has a kit like you are talking about for around $150. Looks easy enough to wire and is used in applications where the "glass" travels straight up and down. Which mine would.

Anywho, I am whittling at it and even have a guy at work that enjoys working on and don't mind helping me thrash on Da Hoodlum. Unfortunately this weekend I have to change my central A/C out on my house :rolleyes: But next weekend I plan on rebuilding my fuel pressure regulator (again) :rolleyes: and hopefully running hard line from my fuel pump to my regulator and hopefully have enough to run a return line back to the tank. Come to find out, this time when my regulator went TU, it was pegged out at 13 psi and there was no change while trying to adjust it :( Maybe that had alot to do with my plugs and carb issue. Hopefully there is no harm done to the carb, stay tuned for updates... :cool:

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad you found the fuel pressure problem before you soent a lot of money and time on the carb. I agree, a regulator with a return line rather than a "deadhead" type is better.
    Hadn't thought about Speedway for w/indow st.uff, do you have thje parts to hold the channels down inside the doors?
    Sounds like we all have a few projects planned before RWYB.

17. Three steps closer to RWYB
    New drive shaft, new coil and new fuel lines.
    IMG_0347.JPG It looks like it is sticking out a bit but the T-5 has a output shaft that extends well beyond the seal, it is a 4" yolk with 3" engaged with splines and 1" out

IMG_0345.JPG

Broke the old coil, threads snapped off. So I got a factory reconditioned unit, nearly half off new direct from MSD. Also did all new hard fuel lines from a new extra capacity steel tank.

Major stuff left to do is getting front fenders in paint, fab up a simple tube stock transmission crossmember, plumbing brakes, getting an alignment and re-wire. Shooting for September so I can get some miles on it before RWYB.

Attached Files:

GAOldsman likes this.
  18. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Looking good. Keep on it, I want a ride at RWYB.

19. Not sure which parts you're talking about Dave. But there is a metal strip where the old regulator bolted to and the felt/aluminum weatherstrip channel inside the window "frames" are there and extend down into the door a ways.

Ordered some fittings to run hard line with a return, three rebuild kits for that dang regulator and will try to thrash on it hard next weekend.

Time for another post of the flyer

K:cool::cool:L

RWYB 11 Flyer.jpg

Floater03 likes this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wow! 6 days and this thread is on page 22! Guess I better do a BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Hey Scot...I have a DIY power window kit somewhere. best I can remember,its pretty much complete. I'll go see if I can find it and give you a real good deal if you're interested.

22. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Okay, bringing it to the top with some pics,finaly, from'15's event...
    Saving some for later. DSCN0001.jpg DSCN0003.jpg DSCN0006.jpg DSCN0007.jpg DSCN0018.jpg DSCN0024.jpg DSCN0026.jpg

23. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Damn who is that fat gray headed guy in photo 7 with the blue solo cup? I need to go on a diet!!!!!!!

24. Sounds good Mark. Let me know what you have brother. Great pics :cool: Got more? :)

25. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

yes I do Scot,but they are on the computer at the house! I'm gonna keep posting when this thread drops off to bring it back to the top. I'm gonna look for that p/w kit and I'll let you know when it's in hand.

GAOldsman likes this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Anybody got a new build or major change going on that they hope to debut @ RWYB?

27. I hear them boys from the Columbus area may have stepped up their game with the black sedan named Abigail....

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Scot, remember I didn't make it last year due to SiL,s death. What "black sedan are you referring to?

29. The black one with the IH? grill that had Hot Rod Walt pinstripe the "new" perpetual trophy. Low 11's IIRC he also won quickest street a few times.

[​IMG]

Last year we had a guy from Atlanta I believe with a very, very fast Topolino that took it. In the 9's he ran :eek: Guy claimed it was "street legal" and I know for sure it was tagged and insured but this thing was wicked fast and I had a hard time not putting him in the race only class. (He won both which wasn't fair to others IMO) He is supposed to ship the perpetual trophy to me prior to Oct 29 or bring it then. I hope he comes back honestly, but I'm going to have to figure out a better way to do the trophies :confused:

[​IMG]

Yes it's blown, full cage and if you squint you can see the top of the No2 bottle. Que Sera Sera I guess.

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There are street driven hot rods with blowers, yes.
    But this Topolino is stretching "street legal", IMO.