Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rusty Old Chevy Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitar man, Oct 6, 2010.

1. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Well,I've been around here a little while so I figure it's time I start my own build thread.

I've had this old '65 Chevy for around 13 years, drove it for a while then it developed a rod knock so I pulled the engine to rebuild it, got busy with a lot of other things and it wound up sitting for over 10 years. The bed became a place to dump junk when cleaning up the property and yes,that was a tree that grew up through the engine compartment :eek:

Recently I finally decided I was going to fix the old thing up so I started in on it. The first step has been to "dig it out" from under the junk, weeds, brush and the tree. That took about 3 weekends. I'm in the process of going over it from end to end and formulating a build plan of where I want to take it. It's still sitting out in the open, I've got to knock up some sort of a shed around it as I go along.

I'm also still digging out my tools and equipment and getting them organized since I haven't really done any building for 20 or more years. I work out of town during the week and have pretty much weekends only to work on it so it's probably going to be a pretty slow moving project at times. But, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, so here's my progress so far:

Day one,here's how it looked after sitting all those years:

[​IMG]

Got the tree cut out and clearing the junk and brush away, starting to see what I've got left to work with:

[​IMG]

Pretty well "dug out". Pulled the wheels and sat it on blocks so I could get a better view of how much rust etc. in the fenderwells and so forth.

[​IMG]

Pulled out the seat and rotten old rubber floor mat. Pleasantly surprised at the condition of the floorboards:

[​IMG]

This past weekend, yanked the bed off. Can't wait until the weekend to do some more :D

[​IMG]

2. Nice project.

3. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

And now the plot thickens. My friend just texted these pics to me, he's been telling me about this truck for a while. It's a '60 or '61 and he says I could probably pick it up dirt cheap. One thing is for sure, the cab looks a hell of a lot better from the outside than the one I have. Going to try to go look at it this weekend. And it's a shortbed too :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin forward to seein some progress,please dont leave it further dismantled for another 10 years.
    What are your plans or goals?
    Clean it up and get it running and driving.
    (The patina on this truck is cool as is;))

5. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

I'm going to fix it up and paint it up the best I can with the shoestring budget I'm going to have to work with. Goal number one is going to be safety,I'm planning on going with power discs up front and am going to re-locate the gas tank out of the cab and between the frame rails. I have a 4 year old daughter that will want to ride with me and that's got me thinking on how to be safe with it.

I have the 283 that came with it in the little shed there. It has power pack heads, I think I'm just going to do a mild performance build on it, maybe with a modest hydraulic roller cam and if I can fit a 3 deuce setup into the budget that would be cool. It's got the original 3 in the tree that I might keep, would convert to floor shift since I hate those dang column shifters.

I'm kicking around, style, colors, theme etc but am leaning toward just making it like the type of street customs I remember the high school and college age kids driving in the late 60s/early 70s when I was growing up. Metalflake chrome steering wheel with the holes in the bars, Hurst shifter with the 8 ball or T-Handle, Mr Gasket "barefoot" gas pedal, bucket seats....stuff like that. No modern day billet crap, maybe a set of chrome reverse with moon hubcaps for wheels.Maybe a home spun flame paint job too.

6. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

7. sir

sir

nice score...if you are not familar with all the "usual" places that rust frequents these trucks. don't forget to look above the windshield aera on the "brow" for rust out spots there not only hard to spot but hard to fix...good luck with your project,your gonna love it,I have one also...

8. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Thank you sir!

I was just looking at your webshots album, that's some first rate work you did on your truck.

Yeah I had read about the rust above the windshield and gave mine a good look-over. It doesn't appear to be rusted badly up there. When I go look at that other frame/cab it will be something I look real hard at before making an offer on it.

9. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Just a couple of sketches I've been doodling with at lunchtime. Trying to get an idea for a custom woody bed that I've had in my head down on paper. If I keep it on the longbed frame I'm thinking about bobbing a couple of feet off the ass end behind the rear axle and doing a little woody box that's probably just a little over frame width with some flat type fenders that sweep out in the back, may use trailer fenders to start with, that's where I got the idea from, a little flatbed utility trailer that someone had put plywood sides on. I just wish I could draw it out the way I see it in my head...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

For that engine, a Comp Cam 270h will give you a great thump, sounds good at the exhaust, and can be used with hydraulic lifters and maintain vacuum for the brake booster.
    3 dueces look good, but you want to think about flooding the engine with too much carbueration.
    Power pack heads work good with a 500 to 650cfm 4 bbl.

11. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks Jim

I've been leaning towards the Comp 268h cam, I know a couple guys that have them in their 283s and I really like the way they sound and run, may go up to the 270h, iirc the specs are similar to the L-79 cam.

I think I've about given up on the 3 deuces idea for now, everybody I've talked to with a 3 deuce setup has wound up with more money in it than my project's budget is going to allow.

Now if I can just figure out something
    unique to do for a bed....

12. if ya need anything body or front suspension wise lemme know I am getting a 65 as well..

13. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

thanks.

I found that '60 down in that boneyard and it's already set up with disc brakes and a power steering box, if I can raise the funds to bring it home I'm going to build on it, it has a lot better cab and doors than I have and the wraparound windshield is just too cool.

But when I'm done with it, if there's enough left of the '65 longbed I might just build it too. My wife says it's a sickness lol

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

id go for the green cab just beacause wrap around glass is so sweet

15. 64cheb

64cheb

I would just build a narrow flatbed as wide as the 'rails. My 64 has it, and it hauls whatever I want and looks slick.
    If you need pointers on making stacks as shown in your sketches, let me know, just made a sweet set on my 64.

16. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

That sounds cool, I'd like to see it. I'm still kicking the idea around whether I want to go with the stacks or not. My Dad was a semi truck driver, he passed away in '07 and I was thinking about putting the stacks on as a tribute to him.

I'm always looking for ideas to steal....er, I mean "inspiration" :D

17. 64cheb

64cheb

Do it up. Those stacks make a 283 sound like a 454 and really perform.

18. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Ok, you convinced me :D

19. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

I agree. I'm trying to get it out of there, just have to get my wife to stop spending so I have the funds :(

20. jason65

jason65

Cool man, good to see a 65 build going on. Good luck.

21. lawman

lawman

You have a very nice project started. I like you plans so far also.Please
    keep us updated with pics.Tom (Tired Old man)

22. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks Jason. If we can save the cab I think I'm going to just keep it a '65 too. :)

I went back and looked that '60 with the green cab over real good and have decided it would be more work than it's worth. I think I'll just build the truck I set out to build longbed frame and all

23. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks Tom. It's been moving at a maddeningly slow pace for a while while I clear some things out of the way (home repair, ugh :()

But I should be able to get back on it soon. I'm still kicking around what it's going to look like in the end, sometimes these things take a different direction in progress :D

24. Deadbird

Deadbird

Keep your chin up. Worthwhile projects take time.

Gotta love an old Chevy.

25. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks Deadbird, it helps to have you guys encouragement.

I've been stalled for a little while trying to figure a few things out but I'm about to get moving again. Jason65 is a righteous dude, he hooked me up with a cab corner piece for the rear of the cab on the drivers side where it's torn up. Now I just have to see if I can still gas weld after not touching it for 20 years :eek:

Hopefully nothing else will break on the house for a while and I'll have some time to work on the truck. The joys of home ownership, damned old shack is falling apart on me :(

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010