Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty Ol' Pile O' Hot Rod: Part 2 (pix)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Clash, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

I Will Start This Thread By Restating The Point That I Have No Idea What The Fuck I Am Doing! I Am Very Scared And I Might Die Building Or Driving This Car, But Goddamn Is It Fun! Hope You Dig It.:d

Attached Files:

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

What the passion of Hot Rodding does for us just be sure to have a safe build.

3. I like the simi-eliptics. Take your time and do a good job! Looks like you're off to a great start. Have Fun!

4. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

thanks! i'm trying to do a good job and learn a lot from you guys. I love this stuff and maybe spend too much time on it. tools are limited and so is money but i'm doing my best and really love the challenge of this build compared to my 53' Plymouth.

5. 36C8

36C8

Do you know Aaron Jackson? A real good mechanic guy there in town, drives a 49 shoebox. He might be some help mechanically...

6. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

I don't know him, and by the "I don't know what the fuck"... statement i meant , fabricating. i was a mechanic for 5 years before i became a tie guy service writer. mechanics i know,wlding and fabricating, i'm learning the hard way.
    thanks for the tip though. i'll keep an eye out.

7. Erik B

Erik B

Johnny-

I just started work on my 29 Pickup here in Portland. I have been learning some sheet metal fabrication here and there and will be doing a bunch on the '29. I'm currently working on the front suspension trying to find the right axle, spindle, brake combination.

I dig the 27 coupes! PM me if you are interested in talking hot rods.

-Erik

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

what motor you planning

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

that looks a hell of a lot like a 40's Dodge pickup straight axle...I dig the 1/4 elliptical front springs and the way you mounted them, but wouldn't shackles be a better choice than straight mounting to your axle? That way it'd allow the leaf spring some movement as it "flattens" out during travel, while the axle is traveling on a set arc because of the radius rods...I don't know anything about 1/4 elliptical systems, but I just thought that'd make sense...

10. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

The solid spring mount lets the spring be the top bar of the 4-link. Clean & simple. I like it!

John

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

so that means your camber changes to positive every time the suspension hits a bump? doesn't that create a ton of bumpsteer? You'd think it would make turning squirrely on a long slow curve of highway hitting bumps and the steering gets easier and harder to turn as the camber changes...weird...

12. Is that an old Chevy AD pickup axle? I like the quarter eliptical setup with the solid perches on the axle. If done right you'll have a cool, simple four bar setup.

Do you plan on using those radius rods? If so the pivot is at the wrong angle (bolt should be parallel to the ground, not verticle). You should use a heim to avoid binding. It you do these two things it should work correctly.

Good luck... I'm a 26 T guy myself..

13. butch27

butch27

Heh: That car is good enough for the kind of girls we go out with!!

14. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

thanks fopr the tips! i was thinking about changing the way the radius rods are set up, but wern't they mounted that way when they were together. those are 26 bones. i got a set of four off a guy up here for $10! As far as using spring perches, i think I'll leave it the way it is for now. I have seen a couple guys use this setup with success, so I think i'll try it.here are some pics of the other stuff i got for thing, all for $80! and one of my tiny shop. There should be a contest to see who can build the coolest car out of the smallest shop!
    thanks again.

Attached Files:

15. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

By The Way, It's A 49 Chevy Front Axle

16. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

damn! forgot this one too. a buddy is pulling out the engine and trans out of his 65 mustang and selling it to me for $200 bucks. can't pass that up. runs perfect. 219 six. ford in a ford.