Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. n847

n847

Impressive as usual!

2. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Great thread, looking good, will follow this build for sure

3. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

I don't know what impresses me more , your work or your imagination . Keep it up .

4. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm Subscribed!! Lot's of inspiration!
    Awesome Work! HOLY HOLES!!

T

5. Noland

Noland

Thank you.

thanks. Ill be posting more when I get it done. Just like Johnny Cash said "one piece at a time"

Thanks, alot of inspiration comes from here on the hamb.

Thanks, yea there are a few holes. Ive been saving the knock-outs from the holes and I have save 50 -60 pounds so far. Im pretty happy about that. yea its mostly for looks but I still wanted to know how much I was weight saving. Im just dreading painting this thing though. gotta get paint in all that stuff.

Also good to see mopar guys on here even know Im building a ford, but its got a chysler engine anyways.

6. Dude that trunk lid looks kickass! aswell as everything else!!

7. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Like your reply, the man in black wrote songs that has lines that you can use as one line, my favorite is "when i was arrested i was dressed in black" but this is a car thread so i will stop babbling about Cash....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. Noland

Noland

Thanks. wait till you see the outside.:D

Yea I enjoy Johnny Cash. Thanks for looking. I got the trunklid primered I just need it to dry so I can paint it and weld the lid on it and Ill be posting some pictures.

9. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

This post is awesome. A lot of details and quality work! Subscribed...

10. Noland

Noland

Thanks just trying to build a quality hot rod.

Here are some new pictures of stuff Ive been working on.

I primered and painted the inside of the lid before welding everything together. I dont want it to rust up in there.

[​IMG]

I made the trunk lid skin by starting with a piece of 18 ga sheetmetal cut to size.

[​IMG]

then I english wheeled it abit to give it some shape and laid out the louvers.

[​IMG]

Then welded together and on the car. pictures alittle dark.

[​IMG]

you can see it better in this picture. I also built the spreader bar for the back frame rails.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

11. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I know someone that is going to have some sore fingers when there done sanding around ALL those louvers:rolleyes: lookin good ken

12. Noland

Noland

You know it. Atleast it doesnt have as many as some. I think its like 96 louvers or so. I see some that have as much as 140 theyre smaller obviously.

13. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Really neat thread. I can't believe I just found this. I like your vision, very creative, original and clever engineering solutions.

Subscribed. I'll be watching.

Andy from STL

14. Noland

Noland

Its been awhile since Ive posted on my build. Im still working at it in between working on other peoples cars and everything else going on. But I felt a update was in order or atleast some random pictures Ive taken along the way. I hope you enjoy.

I installed some 58 ford tailights. I actually cut them down alittle bit to make them more shallow and not angled. Then I decided they needed some coverage so I built little hoods for over them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also rebuilt the entire rain gutters in the trunk because the originals were cut off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to make a set of headers that go inside the frame for a much cleaner look. I used a set of SBC headers I had. theyre 1 5/8. This is how they look after a few dozen cuts and lots of fitting. I had pictures of them off the car but Im unsure where they went too.

[​IMG]

I also decided the car should have a hood top. I dont know why I think I just wanted to build one. So I started with a piece of 20 ga tin. after some tweaking in my metal brake and english wheel I got it fitting decent.

[​IMG]

after a few louvers and a hole cut for the scoop. I also hammered the edges over for added strength and to give it a nice unsharp edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

meanwhile between these larger projects I work on making small trinket things that also need to be built.

I built this overhead consule using a chrysler interior light and a imperial door panel, well the aluminum piece anyways. I also installed some switches and lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made this speaker cover/mount for my speakers eventually this will mount up under the dash. The speakers are from a cavalier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  15. artful dodger

artful dodger

nice work, it looks bad ass!
    love the early hemi too!
    if you have any more pics of the header build I would love to see that.

16. Noland

Noland

I did have some pictures of the header build but Ive seem to misplace them with some other pictures I had, but I have some of the finished headers off the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made end caps for them so I can cap them when I want. I used stantion wingnuts and drilled them for safty wire to keep them from falling off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to build the rest of the exhaust. Im planning on running it threw the crossmember so it will not hang down. along with a million other things to do.

17. OK, I am totally blown away by the tailite "hoods", first pic shows a piece of 1/4 dia steel rod formed to shape and then two pieces of sheetmetal and tacked together. Is it mig or tig tacks? And then the next pic shows smooth radius to the body and the 1/4 rod. Did a magician stop by for hocus pocus ??? How did you get it so smooth in steel? Looks like it is ready for prime and paint. Die grinder ? Details please.

18. Noland

Noland

Thanks for the comment. Yea, you pretty much have the Idea. I tacked it in with a mig, but I grind the tacks down before its finish welded which was done with a tig. As far as finishing the weld once its fully welded. I start with a thick grinding wheel on a air cut off /zip wheel to to make the weld almost flush with the surrounding tin. sometimes using a thin cut off wheel in tight areas or to make sharp inside corners. You must be careful not to over do this step or you wont be able to get the deep grind marks out. Then I use a 3in roloc 24 grit on a 90 degree Die grinder to blend out the remaining weld and stone grind marks. I also have a 2 and 1 inch roloc for tight areas. Once I get everything smooth and flowing, I use a cheap da, the type you can lock like a grinder. I use that da locked, with a soft da pad and 80 grit to grind out and blend the 24 grit marks left by the roloc. Then I follow that with another da, I have a palm sander type, with 80 grit to sand out those marks. then you pretty much have the finished product. One of the biggest tricks is your abrasives, both roloc and DA, must be sharp or its hard to get the welds to blend like you want. I hope that helps.

19. n847

n847

Love the tail light hoods and those headers look great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. How did I miss this thread? Awesome work! Subscribed.

21. Noland

Noland

Thanks for the positive feedback.

22. Noland

Noland

I figured its time to post some of the stuff Ive been making/building on my car.

I decide to build a custom oilpan because I had a smashed pan that was about good for nothing to most people anyways. I started by bolting the pan down to a 3/4 inch plywood to keep it from getting out of shape on me.

[​IMG]

I used a porta-power and alittle heat to get the buckles worked out the best I could but as I figured the bottom of the pan was just to bad to fix so I made a custom bottom. I used 16 ga and put a few beads in the bottom to give it some style and strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did put a drain in it for all you wondering. I used the plug and bung from the original pan and welded it in the passenger side. I just dont have a picture. I still want to make a windage tray for it also.

I decide to add some nerf bars/ push bumpers to the back because Im going to make a nerf bumper for the front and it didn't make sense to me to have one in the front and not in the rear. I wanted them to look racy not like those s type. I started with some 3/8 plate and some black pipe I hade around.

[​IMG]

I capped the ends of the pipe with some knock outs from all those holes Ive drilled. Polished them the best I could because I would like to get it chromed someday if I can afford it.

[​IMG]

I mocked them up, but I haven't decided where to mount them yet but this is about what I had in mind.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Noland,

Make sure you put a dam in the forward part of the pan. That is a long pan and oil will flow away from the pickup, and your oil pressure will fluctuate on heavy braking. Ask me how I know.

Ago

24. Noland

Noland

Thanks for the advice.

25. 1954ROYAL

1954ROYAL
    from Georgia

cool, Cool, COOL!!!!!!! Awesome work!!!

26. D-man313

D-man313

I love the look of the scoop peaking over the hood! Keep up the good work.

27. Noland

Noland

Thanks for the kind words.

28. 343w

343w

Don't know how this one got by me but I'm onboard now, nice job from start to -----!

29. Noland

Noland

Thanks, its easy enough to miss the hamb is a big place. I still find stuff that was posted way back in 2007 and wonder how I've never seen it before

30. dusty123

dusty123
    from Akron

Nice craftsmanship. Subscribed.