Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Just found this thread tonight, you sir are a craftsman love the door treatment.I bought my 31 two years ago out of p.a. it's all stock full fender's three inch chopped top with the four banger . My question could that door treatment be done on my doors and still keep the fenders.Love to have you do it, but the only thing i could pay would be attention :rolleyes: I highly think that will work... could it be done????

2. Noland

Noland

Thanks

What kind of automobile do you have?

Thanks alot, I try to do my best. I have some craftsman tools too so that really helps out :D. Sounds like a neat car just the way it is. Im sure door treatment could be done and keep the fenders. the hardest part would be keeping everything looking good along the bottom because I pulled my quarter panel out about a half inch to build the door jam area, also requires cutting the roof just above the b post to bring it out. Im also always interested in the chance to work on old cars. Im sure we could work something out if you really wanted.

3. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Well Ken love to take you up on your offer ,we dont live that far apart, just go west to alliance oh. but my motor is down for a valve job and the mama has that c word cancer to deal with so things are going to get real tight here before long, but i appreciate the offer maybe later down the line thanks again jack

4. Noland

Noland

Yea I know where alliance is. I go to some swapmeets in Ohio. Canfeild,Canton,Randolf. Got some good stuff too. its a standing offer, even if its in 10 years dont matter. Im sure we could figure something out. As far as mama and the cancer Im sorry to hear that,thats a real sucky situation. I hope she kicks that stuff right in the ass and everything works out.best of luck to you jack. Ken Noland

5. farmer12

farmer12

This build thread just keeps on getting better and better. Awesome work!

6. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

It's a 1948 Austin 4 door. Looks like a ford Angliea.

7. Noland

Noland

Finally I can post with some pictures of what Ive been up on my car in the last few months.

needed to rebuild the top of the roof section from the 32 header, plus the design didnt quite match the model A so I made it all match.

[​IMG]

as you can see, there wasn't much left. So I made a new piece with the bead roller.

[​IMG]

And welded it in place.

[​IMG]

And across the front so it all matches up nice.

[​IMG]

I also made a wooden top filler from a piece of 2x1 oak I got at lowes and drilled some holes in. also made the aluminum filler panel from the same aluminum I made the trans tunnel from. decided to mount the tach up there because seemed like if I was to mount it on the column I would have to really look down to see it and it seemed in the way mounted to the top of the dash.

[​IMG]

I had to make a piece to attach the panel below the back window to the square tubing I installed to hold the gastank. pretty simple but needed.

[​IMG]

all welded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made Up some hair pins from a old set of crappy split wishbones, some tubing, 3/8 plate and a tie rod I bought at hershey for a dollar. In progess picture. I have them finished now just no picture.

[​IMG]

How the car looked on the floor before I decided to z the front of the frame to gain another 2 inches drop and help with draglink alignment.

[​IMG]

I then took the car back down to the frame to put back on the table to cut the front of the frame and work on boxing plates and other stuff the frame still needs. frame is upside down in these pictures.

[​IMG]

I added some rivet to give it some style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats about it for now.Thanks for looking.

8. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Love the tach mounting, it seems as if there wouldnt be clearance there but I dig it, and more close up pics of that?

9. n847

n847

Wow...nice work. That tach mount looks great!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Finally some pics! Looks great man, and I love the home made hairpins.

11. Noland

Noland

Thanks.You are correct on there not being enough room, there is just enough for it. it isnt flush mounted it sticks out the width of a hose clamp at the tightest spot. I might make a stainless band someday to take the place of the hose clamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kingpins

kingpins

man this car is turning out awesome

13. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks Noland, I love it, thanks for the idea!

14. Just found this...excellent work, subscribing to keep the updates!

15. Russ Tee

Russ Tee
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Nice work the car looks fantastic and I love looking at the background images of the shop, looks like a lot of great history in that garage.

16. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

here is mine....I don't know if it is any help, but ask me anything if you have a question....

Attached Files:

17. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

18. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Nice work on the tac Ken, keep them coming and dont let this cold front freeze you up:rolleyes:

19. Noland

Noland

Not a problem, I do know you will probably have to use an electric tach,thats what Im using. I have a mechanical SW that I wanted to use but its almost twice as deep as the electric.

Thanks

Yea, the garage is only about 10-15 years old but its made mostly from recycled stuff. My father built it, I helped alittle. lots of old stuff inside of it though, sometime too much.

Thanks

Thanks, yea I think todays high is suppose to be like 14. I wish it would get warmer.

20. syracusegli

syracusegli
    from ny

21. Progress!! Lookin good man

22. great progress noland! I totally dig the chop/windshield area on this car!

23. Noland

Noland

Thanks, alittle at atime.

Thanks very much. your car looks real awesome too.

This is what Ive been up to lately. I got the frame plates for boxing the frame made up and tacked in place but I put the body back on before taking pictures.Sorry dont worry Ill get some next time the body is off. I was just so exited to work on the back part of the body I forgot. So I started on the trunk floor. I framed it all out with some 2x1 and some smaller 1x1 tubing. It looks alot fancier from underneath.

[​IMG]

Then I made the floor plan from some 18 ga sheetmetal and I had my dad help me roll some beads in it, then I plug welded it down to the tubing.

[​IMG]

ground the welds down, added some fake rivets and mounted the battery box.

[​IMG]

Then I added some side vertical supports.

[​IMG]

Now Im about ready to install the rear panel and build a trunk lid. Thanks for looking

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  24. Awesome work its looking great !!!

25. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I think you do really nice work I'm in

26. Francis569

Francis569
    from usa

nice engine mounts![​IMG]

27. A brilliant thread - I spent all lunchtime at work reading this, what a cracker - Keep it coming.

Cheers. Tim W.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  28. Russ Tee

Russ Tee
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. Great work Dude! Keep going!

30. Noland

Noland

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Im still working on the car. Ive been building the trunklid the last few weeks. I got the inner structure all built. I started on the outer skin today but it still needs alot more work. I used model A door hinges for trunk hinges. they worked out good. Well here are some pictures of the lid so far. I ll post more of the outside when I finish up the skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]