Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Enjoying the build. just Subscribed too.

2. Noland

Noland

Thanks guys, Ill try to keep on updating. My air compressor is actually down right now, motor needs a bearing. So it might be alittle while but who knows took the motor for service yestarday.

3. Very kool build, love the gas tank idea! I might have to copy that idea, I have a 64 parts truck out back with a good tank!

I'm just collecting parts right now for my 29 coupe on 32 rails while I finish other builds.

4. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Yea go for it on the gas tank. Ive seen alot gas tank mounted behind the seats of model As and 32s but usually they where custom tanks and I felt they left something to be desired in the styling department so my solution was to use a factory tank to give it a factory apperance. Also 60s chevy trucks look like they would work well also. But I do like using ford parts on a ford. Good Luck with your builds

5. volksjunky

volksjunky

Wow,just found this thread .Loving it man ! thanks for sharin' .

6. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Hey thats what the hamb is about. just trying to give back alittle for all the inspiration Ive goten off here. You a VW guy. Both my cars have alittle VW in them, This one has a early 60s glovebox and my other model A has 59 taillight. most people cant tell, everybody asks me if the taillights are LED.

7. volksjunky

volksjunky

Yeah, Im one of those poor souls who got bitten by the VW bug !
    The only part to make it on here is a brake fluid reservour, so far ...

8. Noland

Noland

heres the dash Im building for this car, like I said I used a vw glove box door and opening that I cut down.
    [​IMG]
    I want a beetle to make into a drag car. put a engine up front, big wide tires hanging out of the rear fenders. I think they look so cool like that.

9. 1938ute

1938ute
    from australia

Nice build, great fabrication. I see why you called her Rusty:D

10. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Im slowly reversing the rust

11. Noland

Noland

I figured I would post an update of what Ive been up to just a bunch of random unfinished stuff.

I was building the door garnish, I started with a 1953 4 door Imperial back door garnish, I dont know if they made a 2 door in that year but maybe. Then afther a bunch of cutting and welding I came up with this. It still needs some more work. I have to fill some holes, make filler pieces for the door to make it line up nice around the outside edge and some tabs to screw it to.

[​IMG]

What Ive been working on lately is the firewall support. Its going to house my ansen style swing pedals (need to finish bracket) and give them support and also give me something to attach the flat stainless firewall to. I still need to finish up the bottom half.

[​IMG]

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! Lots of progress since the last time I checked in. I like all the subtile body changes. This is going to look great when it a roller.

13. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Yea I cant wait to get it into a roller. I still need to buy some tires and Im waiting on the front hubs that Im having fitted for buick brakes. Plus I need to build the whole passengers side and a trunk lid and rear panels and stuff. LOTS of stuff to build

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tires cost money, lost of money for the ones I want. When the time comes I plan to get the size and height of the tires I want and find some cheap rollers when it comes time to build my chassis. If I bought the new tires they would be dry rotted when the project was road worthy. I need to find the right year Ford hubs for my Buick drums, I see that Pete & Jakes sell new repo hubs for the Buick drums, have to see what they cost. Bob

15. Pete

Pete

NICE work! She looks great so far, keep the pics comin'.

16. Little Terry

Little Terry

Now this, I am really enjoying! Keep it up.

Nice to see plenty of fabrication going on.

LT

17. Noland

Noland

Yes tires do cost a bit of money, I do have a set for the back for mock up but I dont for the front. I was lucky to have a set of later hubs that I bought at one point or another but of course they were rusty as all heck. The guy that does my machining does me alot of favors, I help him out to. The hubs are one of the favors so it gets done when it gets done but the last time I saw them they looked alot better than they did when I gave them to Him. Im also getting them redrilled to the small ford bolt pattern to match my rear end and so I can run my pulsar wheels. Thanks Bob, My names Ken by the way, Ken Noland

Thanks Ill keep posting as it develops.

Thanks, I enjoy it too. Yes mostly everything will be hand built and fabricated. Mostly by me and some help from my father too. Also alot of inspiration taken from the hamb and old magazines.

18. Noland

Noland

I managed to get the firewall all finished and welded up. Lots of holes.

[​IMG]

I also made this column drop out of aluminum. I took the column and box from a '75 postal jeep. looks like everythings going to work great for cross steering. I wanted to use a F-1 or F-100 box but I just couldnt get it to fit with the starter on the drivers side.

[​IMG]

Tim and kiwijeff like this.
  19. Noland

Noland

Its been awhile since Ive updated, sorta got busy with other things and wasnt working on the car but Ive still managed to get some stuff done.
    I got the swing pedals all rebuilt and mounted. I started with a old set of ansen swing pedals that were in rough shape. I had to rebuild the whole mount because it was cut for a different master cylinder and broken and brazed. But using it as a template and made my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All welded together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got some of the floor laid out and tacked in. The plan is to used a colored lexan to make the front floor so you can still see all the holes. Then Im going to make an aluminum transmission hump.

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  20. greaser

greaser

You're moving right along, keep it up!
    You might want to modify that column drop though....looks like a knee scraper.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is awesome!!!! Also love the dual pot on the firewall.
    [​IMG]

22. Elrod

Elrod

A lot of great work here!!! Keep it up! Looking forward to the next updates

23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

This build is awesome! I have a total FNG question, why all the holes? Besides looking sweet, does it serve a purpose such as weight reduction or anything? (Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere in the thread.)

24. kingpins

kingpins

i think you need a few more holes ;) awesome job!!

25. Noland

Noland

Thanks everybody, yea the holes are mostly for looks but I am saving all the knock outs from the holesaws to about how much weight I am actually saving. Its up to about 35 lbs so far. Its really hard to tell because all the small 1/2 holes are done with a regular drill bit so I lose all that weight, I dont save all the shavings. I should have weighed every piece before and after and it would I would know how much weight I really saved but its close to 35 lbs so far.

26. Noland

Noland

thanks JJ, Im petty exited about seeing it covered with a piece of stainless. Im going to polish both sides so the insides probably going to look awesomer than the outside.

27. Besty34

Besty34

Just read the whole thread wow fantastic work thanks for sharing

28. Noland

Noland

Thanks. Ive made some progress on things but Im having a problem uploading pictures lately but I ll post an update soon.

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Noland, things are coming along really well. Have you considered rounding the lip other side of the top of the doors/body by the b pillar? At a quick glance this car is going to be tricky to ID.

Keep up the good work, man!

30. Noland

Noland

Thank you. Yes I was considering rounding the other corners. My opinion is I would have to round all the other corners for it to look right. Meaning the two on the bottom of the door and the one at the top by the b pillar so all the corners were round. I just didnt know if I would care for that look.