Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Noland

Noland

worked on building the rocker panels today. I made the inner out of a piece of 16 ga. Its pretty simple but hey I need something to attach my outside sheetmetal too.

[​IMG]

Then I worked on the outside sheetmetal. I first bent a 90 on the bottom so it would have a way of attaching to the inner. Then I hammered it alittle more round instead of a perfect crisp break so it line up nice with the cowl. Then I gave it a run threw my trusty beadroller to give it the body line. And finally some work from the shrinker to give it the curve I wanted. Im still not sure if I like it or not. I wanted more than a 32 has I also will round the bottom corners of the door. I think not really sure at this point. I will see how it starts coming together then go from there.

[​IMG]

2. Noland

Noland

Over the weekend, I managed to get the inside of the rocker built and tacked in place. The pop rivets will get the center holes welded up so that the theme from the rest of the door jam will fallow threw. I also got the quarter panel patch built. I will post some pictures of that soon but for now here is the rocker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Noland

Noland

I got the quarter patch fairly well attached today. I made it in the bead roller just like the rocker. It still need some more staightening once I get it better secured to the wheel well and the door jam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

lookin REAL good!

5. Noland

Noland

Thanks alot. Im not banging it out as fast a you are on your car but its getting there.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What the hell happened? I leave this thread it's a model A....I go to detroit and now it's a hybrid!!! Looks so good!!!!

7. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome build I like it.

8. Noland

Noland

Hybrid I like that, Thanks Jeffrey, Trying to make something alittle unique. I already have a 30 model A coupe with the Visor and overlapping doors etc. Not that I dont like it but I dont really want two of the same car.

Thanks

9. hallrods

hallrods

That looks great. I love the mods one of a kind yet still traditional

10. hallrods

hallrods

To make it look more like a 1932 you need to put a rake on the rear window section. Model A's are to straight up and down.

11. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Really cool build. Keep the progress pics coming!

12. Noland

Noland

Thanks, trying to be creative

Yea Im trying to do everything and keep it looking decent. Im trying to keep it fairly traditional looking. Thanks

13. Noland

Noland

Thanks I did, I moved the top of the roof ahead 7/8" this will give the back window a slight rake. If you meant the quarter window I did that too.

Thanks,Ill try to keep taking pictures and posting them

14. hallrods

hallrods

You seem to have really thought this out. I have a model a that I flush mounted the doors, building it on a 32 ford frame, I have a 32 ford windsheild frame I didn't make a new rain gutter I welded round stock in it's place and leaded it to look like the 1932. I also have a hemi,354 in mine. I was going to raise the wheel well part were the fender bolts to to the hight of the tire.Mine is on the back burner again after I bought the car my father built in 1959 I realy want that one done first.

15. Noland

Noland

Yea I put a fair amount of thought into it. Some things you dont think of but you cross those bridges when they come up.Sounds like you have some really neat project, both of them. You should post some pictures or a build thread.

16. Noland

Noland

I got the inside of the door rebuilt today. I just made it pretty simple. Its just some 16 guage that I bent a 90 on it. Then I cut it to the desired arch of the door and welded another 3/4" strip of 16 guage to it creating a arched 90 to attach my door skin to. I drilled some holes for the water to drain. I have the skin fairly well attached need to finish the ends and stuff.

[​IMG]

17. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice work. Great ideas! Keep the pics coming.

18. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Sure will do

19. Noland

Noland

I have gotten alittle more done on the coupe. I got the 32 wheelwell fit and tacked in. The rocker is about 3/4 of the way weld in. the door bottom is on so I figured I would post a side shot. The picture is alittle on the crappy side.

[​IMG]

Lately I have been messing with this gas tank. I started with a late 60s ford truck tank. The type that mounts behind the seat. It was in very nice condition.

[​IMG]

Then I cut 20 inches out of it so it will fit behind the seat of my coupe. I would reveal some more but Im sorta saving it for tech week. I just need to finish up all the mounting and stuff before I post it.

[​IMG]

20. Noland

Noland

I also managed to get that ugly gold/yellow paint of the drivers side today. I think it makes the car look alot better. Its still got some rust spots but its coming together.

[​IMG]

21. Noland

Noland

bengeltiger likes this.
  22. Tank turned out nice man, nice work!

23. Noland

Noland

Thank you

24. spoony

spoony
    from L.A.

Inspiring!! Awesome work .

25. hallrods

hallrods

Sweet looks great.

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I really like how this one is turning out.

27. Elrod

Elrod

Cool idea on the tank and mounting. Lots of work going on here to be proud of!!

28. Noland

Noland

Thanks very much
    Thank you
    Me too. I wanted to do something different but most of the changes are very subtle and not even noticable to the average person. It should be pretty neat when all finished.
    Thanks Im pretty proud of all my work and I try my best to do my best. But at the same Time theres always room to improve.

Thanks everyone for the support.

29. Looks nice! Let's see more. Subsribed.