Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty Bores

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FSHTNK, Apr 22, 2008.

1. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

Hey, I had my 324 Rocket all machined up, and I painted her real purty. But before I could assemble her, work and family comitments kept me outa the shed for a couple months, now the bores all have a light coating of surface rust:eek:. Should I go back for a re-hone, or is there something I can do at home?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any 'rust solutions I found here involved rebuilder engines, not a fresh one.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not having seen it I would guess that I would hit it with some WD40 and Scotch Brite and run it.

3. R Pope

R Pope

I'd use penetrating oil, not WD40, but the Scotchbrite pad will do it if it's just a bit of rust. If the hone marks look dulled, it may need a touch-up honing. Fresh machined surfaces sure do rust quick!

4. Scotchbrite and (one of the few instances that I would recommend) WD-40. It has fish oil in it, just wipe clean before assembly.

5. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just curious, what's it going in ?
    Cheers Dago.

6. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

what effect does the fish oil in wd have? i use wd on the bores instead of oil, i wipe everything with metho before putting the head o & thinners becuase i have a copper gasket wich i fit with 3bond, then i sprayed the wd in the spark plug holes.
    i had simular problems with mine, i spent alot on machining and then the motor sat for a year before i put it together, i kept wiping wd in the bores but if you leave it too long it still rusts, i just wiped lightly over the rust with a scourer then put wd back on to protect it. I hope it runs in ok.

7. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

At this stage Dago, it's going in my garage:D. If I git my Shite together, there is a 54 98 coupe sitting in the panelshop. (But then I also have a 455.........)

Attached Files:

8. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is really cool FSHTNK .I had a '54 "88" coupe, years ago. It was another one of them I never should have sold it cars. Here is a pic, if you don't mind me hi jacking your thread.
    Cheers Dago.

Attached Files:

9. time_xx

time_xx

Personally, I would use light machine oil and a hone on a drill. You want to keep the crosshatch pattern, which will be difficult with scotchbrite...

10. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

That's what I thought. I'll try the scotchbrite & wd40 trick this w/e. If the crosshatch pattern is affected, I'll have to drag it's sorry arse back to the machine shop.

11. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

It's easy to get carried away with a hone sometimes. I would stick with the scotchbrite and a lubricant. WD or a penetrating oil will work fine. Like others have stated, just ensure that you clean the bore before you drop in the piston. Acetone works well, or brakleen.