Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Worse comes to worst, take a rubbing of it and send it to me, I can make you a new opening (the whole piece) to splice in.

It'll be more expensive than finding one locally, but it might save you a big ordeal trying to fix what's left of that one.

A set of Lincoln buttons would look pretty good on those doors too.

I wonder where you could find a set of those . . .

;)

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see you back at it Steve!

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey koolkemp-

On your rotted cowl panel flange...........that would make a cool little hammerform project for those days/nights when ya can't/don't wanna bend or crawl on the cold floor. Trace the area to some butcher paper and transfer to some 3/4'' ply or MDF board, cut out board, cut out 18-20 gauge crs. clamp and work with corking tool and hammer. trim to fit and weld in.
    Ain't no way in hell I'd fill over that panel, or try and tack weld up the holes in it, there's always more ya don't see until the build see's its' first rainstorm:(
    It gets hot enough to roll down the windows in Nova?:D

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Outstanding work.

5. 89lxstanger

89lxstanger

sick with the flu and stuck in the house this weekend i read 95 pages, fantastic rear great work and i am gonna use some of the ideas i gained

thanks from ontario

6. DeadGuy2

DeadGuy2

3 HOURS to read this thread today.

And worth every MINUTE!!

Great job Steve. Amazing work and dedication.

chuck

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks for the kind words guys, I had been in bed with the flu until yest, started feeling shitty new years day ,dragged my ass in to work last wed then felt like dying...I have never been so sick in my whole life as this last week, spent 8 hrs in the ER and an ambulance ride to Halifax thurs night for a CT scan (they thought I might have been having a brain bleed) came back to work today but I probably should have stayed home. Mrs Koolkemp and my daughter are sick too but didnt get it as severe as I did...I wouldnt have wished this misery on my worst enemy! 4 litres of iv fluid ,another bag of some pain killer then finally morphine to try and help with the head pain :eek: Hopefully I will feel a little better by the weekend and might get a little time in the shop...heres a few crappy iphone pics from new years day when I got the primer on the floors and the cowl. I havent had the energy to take any more pics with the real camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

nice progress!

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Geeze Steve!! Glad you are doing better.
    Hopefully the missus and little koolkemp get better quickly.

10. oldman2

oldman2

Car looks great, sorry about you being sick. Hope you and the family get better real soon...Jim

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

News I've been hearing is that this season's flue strain is especially bad. Sounds like that's the one you got brother. Glad to hear it's behind you.

12. Some sicknesses have such bad timing, one has to wonder when you'll get a break the other way, but when you do get a break it's never good enough to compensate for the bad break. Does that make sense?

Glad you are on the mend. Don't feel obligated to kill yourself in order to post progress. We are just glad you've survived.

Doug.

13. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

We've had some of that crud around here, nasty stuff! My 2-cents on your cowl vent; you've blasted the bad stuff out, metal prep it and use a non-hygroscopic epoxy like J. B. Weld. You can form it and it works about like body filler. Nobody would know, 'cept all of us Hambers!!! What's the weather like up there??

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man oh man! Sounds like you ran the medical gauntlet on that one Steve! Hope you and the family all recover completely; that's some mean stuff! We even have that stuff overe here; took me down for a few days over the holidays.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks!

Thanks Joe! Stay away from anyone thats coughing alot! The Doctor said 7-10 days to loose the virus and another 2 weeks to feel "normal" again...

Thanks guys, its a real nasty flu this year,anywhere in North America,be careful out there!!

Sure does make sense Doug !

Believe me this thought has crossed my mind, I blasted the underside as well so its nice and clean...POR15 then some epoxy? Its either that or make a hammerform, I havent got a chance in hell of getting a donor cowl top around here lol! I really thought I was done with the rust on this thing! We just got our first snow a couple of days before Christmas, nice and sunny +5' celcius, dont remember what that is in normal temps anymore !

You got that right Eli this one was a royal shit kicking...when I dont check in here for a week you know it was bad :p

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Check with mkilger on the HAMB. He was offering a cowl from a 4 door back in November in the classifieds.

17. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Quote: Thanks Joe! Stay away from anyone thats coughing alot! The Doctor said 7-10 days to loose the virus and another 2 weeks to feel "normal" again...

Day-am. Nasty.
    500+ people in the campus I work in. They are dropping like flies.
    I'm practically bathing in hand sanitizer and griping at everyone to do the same.

Everything I read is that POR15 doesn't like being on super clean metal but maybe ok on blasted?
    I hope it holds well for you so I'll try it myself. ;) As you have learned... we have RUST here like few others have.
    Joe

18. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

POR-15 works only on rusty metal. On clean metal it will peel off. So use JB Weld or Allmetal filler or lead or something. Or let it rust a little first.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

great looking work, hope you are well enough to get back on it.
    ditto on the POR-15 on clean metal, it needs the rust to react with.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks I will take a look for it!

It works as good or better on blasted metal than on rust.

Sand blasting gives it an even better porous surface than using the marine clean etch that they sell to use it on "clean" metal, try it out and see what you think!

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I'll take your word on the sandblasted steel, who can doubt it based on your work
    Just bare metal seems to be the problem

22. eastwildlife

eastwildlife

Followed this thread for over a year and then some, and still mucho impressed. Hats off bud. Get well and keep posting all your projects.
    Dan

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Iknow all about using it on bare smooth steel...learned that lesson along time ago :eek:

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

The budget on this thing is pretty much shoestring at this point, wife hasnt worked for 6 mos :( I do want a set for this and my someday 36 project...still on my wishlist for sure!!

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You over the crud? I had it for about a week, slowed me up...

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am functional but not up to full speed yet, got about 5 hrs in the shop yest remounting the column at the dash and re doing some metalwork I wasnt happy with...totally drained me of energy, gonna try and get a couple more in this afternoon....

27. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Wow cant believe that's the same car u started with I would have gave up I think. glad to see u sticking with it looks great

28. n847

n847

You know this is still a f'n outstanding build thread. I just check in every month or so to see how its going. I've been watching on and off for so long that it blew my mind when I clicked on the thread title today instead of last page and remembered it started with a rusted out 4 door! Keep it up. In fact pick it up! I'm ready to see that Merc build.

29. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Whoa! :eek:I just notice you had a post there. Did you notice the car is PROPANE fuled ? I researched that concept nearly 60 years ago. Decided against it because only one Propane station in miles. Back then there was a gas station on every corner. :D Bill aka Tnomoldw

When the going gets tough the tough get going!:eek: