Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rusted fuse box terminals, replacements?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Mojo

Mojo

My 64 Riviera has rusted terminals in the fuse box. I was able to clean off the fuse contact areas fairly well, but I checked the backside of the terminals, and they've got some surface rust. I'm concerned about where the wire crimp meets the terminal. I suspect it's rusted, and may cause poor connections.

Does anyone know if these fuse clips are available for a 64 Buick? Should I replace the whole box? I wouldn't mind going to later blade type fuses. The car's wiring appears to be in really good condition, so I don't want to rewire the car. Besides that, I'd like to get it drivable in the next year. I have no electric coming into the car, but that might be a fusable link. I haven't checked that yet.

Attached Files:

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Take a picture slide the clips out soak the clips in vinegar for a couple of days. Rinse well with baking soda and water. Are you can clean the fuse side real good and go on.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Evapo-rust works really well, just soak and rinse.
    KK

4. Mojo

Mojo

I'm just going to replace the box somehow. I've seen some marine quality boxes that are reasonably priced and about the same size. Here's a pic of a contact up close. It's bad, I can see pitting. I can pull and replace these, but not the ones attached to the bus bar sides.

Attached Files:

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

dont know Id worry too much , just clean as above....

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

After cleaning, I like to paint them with a copper infused paint, that is electrically conductive. It helps prevent future corrosion, I think at the time I got it from Eastwood, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

7. 54vicky

54vicky

the trouble with the rust on the clips is it really weakens them.clean the worst one then test the tension.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Here is a Keystone 3533 that might work. Digikey has them. Also try Littlefuse.
    [​IMG]

9. Mojo

Mojo

That clip looks close. I'll check digikey. I've been looking at fuseboxes, and finding some interesting ones.

My big issue is the fuse clips that are riveted to the bus bars. I can figure out how to get it apart, but not back together easy.

10. I had the same problem with my 1962 Buick Electra.I went to a junk yard and pulled a nice clean one out to replace it.Good luck with what every you do .They are nice cars. Bruce.

11. If you can pull the contacts out, just soak in vinegar and rinse. Then solder the wire and terminal together. Otherwise I say they look fine.