Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal.......the miracle of molasses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bathcollector

bathcollector

Mine stinks on and off depending on the weather i think ? I just scrape the foam off and it seems okay again at the moment.

2. luke13

luke13

was trying to find some cheap molasses on the net last night, and stumbled across a website that showed you how to remove rust, paint, grease. using water, washing soda and a process called electrolisis(same process as electroplating) with a battery charger and some steel rods, only problem is that it produces hydrogen gas.

3. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

I was wondering how well straight molasses painted on rust would work? I have a rusty trailer axle (and other things) that I don't want to remove and thought I'd give straight molasses a go, what do you think? Yes I know I'm lazy and looking for the easy way.

4. luke13

luke13

you can only try it, i was thinkin the same thing but it may be just an aggressive black sticky mess, never know.

5. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Fill the swimming pool and drive that rust bucket right on in!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Great information on this stuff. I will have to give it a try....thanks guys......

7. woodbox

woodbox

We have chickens that we buy feed for, from a feed manufacturer. I asked if they used it and sold it, they quoted 84 cents per kilo, bring your own bucket. So I figure 100kg of molasses into the 1000Ltr pod should be under 100 bucks.
    So find a local stock food plant and ask them. They get it delivered by the truck load!

8. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

I work at a feed store & we sell molasses by the gallon, I took one home to try it out on some rusty Willys tail light mounts. I didn't mix it with water just poured it all over them in a sealed Tupperware, it took a while, few weeks, it ate all the rust off, they looked like the we're sandblasted. The stuff works

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. !DAN!

!DAN!

Does any one know of a supplier in the socal area

10. 60rftc

60rftc
    from LBC

Blacksmith's Corner on Lakewood Blvd. I bought a 5 gallon bucket for $20 about 6 years ago. It might not be in stock but they can order it.

11. rif-raf

rif-raf
    from md

I was wondering the same... can it be brushed on to a small fixed surface then maybe covered up for some time to remove rust? like on my parts runner there are multiple small spots where the paint used to be (ie; patina) if anyone has tried this id love to hear how it went for spot cleaning. thanks

12. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

I was considering one of those plastic adhesive shipping label envelopes to spot remove then I had to smack myself in the head and get back to reality. Good ideas are always over engineered into something completely idiotic. Get a $30.00 sandblaster and use a light touch. Leave the molasses for the delicate parts like signal light bezels that cant be filled afterwards.

13. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

14. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

I bought a 270 gallon tote off craigslist and cut the top off and filled with water and then added about 16 gallons of molasses bought from Gander Mtn- I think. they had free shipping. I put 1936 ford truck doors in for two weeks and then took out and pressure washed. They are bare steel and all rust is gone. I then used a garden sprayer filled with Prep N Etch from Home depot. I will wipe down with acetone when I am ready for primer. I have since put many other parts in the mix both large and small. The results are amazing.

couvy likes this.
  15. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

NOW! I have read this whole tread and really enjoyed it. I went today to the local COOP today and got a 50 lb bag. I understand that it has filler ( probably ground corn cobs ) so I mixed the first 2 gallons with hot water and strained. I made 4 gallons, put in some rusty stuff and will try it. AGAIN NOW! I read several times where people asked how to mix dry molasses but never saw an answer. I read on another site that someone used 1 cup per gallon. This is what I am trying. Don't have a clue if this is correct. Why doesn't someone answer the question or, did I just miss the answer because i was in a hurry. Thanks everyone. This was awsome tread!

16. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

One last try and I give up. I hope this just slid by and the right person didn't see it.

Does anyone know the the ratio to mix dry molasses with water? Especially the kind that has fillers (to keep it from clumping) .

Thanks, I promise to not ask again.

17. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

18. old chevy dude

old chevy dude

Thanks, I will check this site later. You may want to read the whole tread. There are concerns about cast iron and other engine parts. Now, thank you for the reply but the liquid ratio isn't the concern it's the dry mixture the most of us need.

19. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

This is a good read. would like to make a tank big enough to do my 31.

20. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

here is a before and after. I have a 5 gallon bucket with about 1/2 gallon of molasses and the rest water. I have had it for about 1 year and add a little every few months. The shiny part was just hosed off. It was the lower section in a higher concentration of molasses sitting for a few weeks. I could have turned it upside down and got the other half as good, but a quick hit with a wire brush and it was r rust-removal-molasses.jpg eady for primer.

21. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

So I'm hoping to bring home a late 39's Ford running gear that was used as a hay wagon. It's been sitting in the woods for who knows how many years. I'm wondering if I can get the front axle assembly into a batch of of this if it will free up the movable parts such as spindles, etc.?

22. fijidad

fijidad

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

The stuff is used as fertilizer.

24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Its worth a try. I put an old rusty window regulator in and it free that up well.

25. 55willys

55willys

Got to be a good mole hunter to get enough of those to do a whole car. Jim Ford

26. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Yup x2, I put my rusty, unmovable '28 door latches in and forgot about them for a couple weeks. Pulled them out and they're like new. Even the little knobs on top are all shiny coppery again. Same with hood latches.

27. woodbox

woodbox

I have my bath up and running now. Results are looking promising. I want to set up a neutralizing bath with bicarbonated soda in water. I want to do this to get to all the areas that are hidden from direct coating without submersion in primer or paint.

28. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

hey woodbox, are you using liquid or dry molasses ?
    I'm interested in the bicarbonated dip,
    I've got a block to get in the mix now, and I am trying to find a ratio for dry molasses .

29. woodbox

woodbox

Liquid from a stock food manufacturer. I paid 70 bucks for 100 ltr.

30. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

thanks man,
    ive got a pile of dry molasses, wish i could fine a for sure ratio for it..