Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal...Electrolysis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951fordf100, Jan 2, 2010.

1. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

I've searched many threads on here and have decided to try this on some of my stuff. Couple questions I didn't find answers to. I know you can't do this process with stainless, but what about de-rusting chrome? Can that be done without any health issues? And I know there isn't any "formulas" as to how long to keep something in the tank but is it possible to have something in to long and have it be damaged or ruined?

2. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

Alot of the tractor restorers around me use this method, and leave stuff for weeks with no damage, as far as the chrome , I don't know, but try a small , un needed part first, something like an old bike fender ....Good luck ,Shawn

3. chubbie

chubbie

I've used electrolysis on chrome, '66 cutlass bumper. the bad chrome spot looks black, chrome doesn't peal, doesn't rust tho!!!! the small rust spots are gone. maybe 3 years ago, still looks OK. just did an original set of radir wheels, they looked real bad. so i thought I'd remove the rust and powder coat them. I'll have to do some touch up (air brush or powder) the chrome looks to good to cover! also did a hurst sincro-loc shifter. it was rusted junk! looks OK! the handle had to much rust, so has black around the HURST lettering. don't know a bout gases, I do this stuf when its warmer outside, you know, door open! not this morning, 29 below zero.

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

<cite>www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

Hey, Brother................Just for the hell of it , I Googled "electrolytic rust removal", and BAM!!!!

A TON of info to wade through, but lots of sources and experiences to judge from!!!!
    </cite>

5. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

Thanks for the input. I'll go over and see what stovebolt has to say. I did a small gas tank off an old lawn mower and it came out pretty good. I've got an old valve cover with the GMC script on it I want to try next. Then on to some bigger stuff. Thanks again for the help.

6. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Just sand it by hand wade. You know......the real mans way. Stop taking the easy way out.