Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rust Dissolve and a Winfield Carb?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Careful with that heat. Zinc goes from solid state to liquid in very few degrees and that is at quite a low point. So low that there is little, outside very controlled conditions, that can be done to weld or solder. A friend recently had an SR-C throttle with broken ears. He tried to sneak up on the temperature with a nice corning hot plate. First indication of trouble was when the throttle went sideways in a puddle of its own... Only common metal with a lower melt I know of is Bismuth which melts at about 200F. I know the carb in question is rough, but avoid such surprises.
    Good Luck: Fred A

2. I got them out without heat. It was a lack of basic physics knowledge. I was looking at the width of the slots and then grabbed my big ass screwdriver and realized it fit the slot completely. I then turned the carb horizontally on the floor for better rotational leverage. They all came out hard, but they came out and none stripped. realized I need to use thicker screwdrivers on these old carbs. Makes sense if you look at the screwdrivers from the twenties and thirties.
    Might end up with a usable carb yet!

3. I agree with Bruce- use the dremel to level off the head of the screw, then use a bit to drill in a little/ make a dimple in the head, then start grinding away material. You don't want to get the pot metal to hot, or it will crack/crumple on you. To be honest, from what I see in the pics, you may find a good bit of that carb unusable... but I sure hope not!

4. Guess my post is a bit too late, and glad to hear that things look good...

Dad always told me to use the right-size screw driver for the job :D

5. I am not expecting much, but maybe salvaging parts. False economy.... buy 3 crapped out carbs to build one less crapped out carb

6. Now, if you do need to do any filling, building up material, etc, I highly recommend JBWeld for marine purposes- it doesn't dissolve with gasoline, like the normal JB has a habit of doing!

cactus1 likes this.
  7. OK... this was not subjected to the rust dissolve... but the float, which was in nice condition, came apart. What was originally used to join the two halves?

8. AmishMike

AmishMike

Interesting read - learning. Two things I have used: For good penetrating "oil"; light a wax candle & drip hot wax on screw - heat & wax seems to penetrate good -bit of a pain to do of coarse. Second - clean ammo brass with mix vinegar, salt & dish wash soap ( % on line - search "clean ammo brass ). Hope word "ammo" not hurt any PC feelings. Never tried on medal but believe could not hurt. Liquid dish wash soap great oil/grease remover around garage & hands.

9. Jim,
    Most likely, the ball was soldered together- not uncommon for the solder to break down over the years

10. Soak in ATF for a week, you'll clean and lube in one step, works great.

11. c

This regular solder? Will that hold up in modern gas?

12. Just make sure there's no gas in the float. Or combustibles.

13. The thing is totally in half, my guess it this carb hasn't seen gas in 50 years