Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rust converter inside door parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Apr 30, 2016.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey fellas,
    Changing out the window channels in my '56 Pontiac and found a bit of rust. None of it is really threatening the strength of any of the parts. Also none of it will be visible when I'm finished.
    Some of it is on the door sheet metal, some of it is on bare metal parts that the window and channel sit in.
    Can I just put rust converter on those parts and close it up or will it need some sort of topcoat? Pretty much limited to rattle can everything right now by the way.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

SEM makes RUST SEAL that is ideal for that. I pour several ounces of it into door shells, rotate the door until it seeps into the edge seams and all hidden areas. Pour out the excess. It doesn't require a top coat like the converters do.
    For your application you could brush it on.

3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

NO NEED FOR THE EXPENSIVE STUFF!
    Rattle Can Rust Reformer, right off the shelf @ most Auto Parts or Home Center. Around $6. can.
    I use it on everything, including parts that do not get top-coated. It holds up fine with UV, and wears like iron.
    I've done dozens of Rides, over several years, without an issue.

Graystoke likes this.