Register now to get rid of these ads!

Russian Bone Yard - hotrod possibilities?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vegas paul, Mar 29, 2009.

1. 303racer

303racer

прохладно должность ​

2. Yep their all still deadly radioactive and most are missing the engines from the research I have done on the incident. Might think twice about that part ordered from anywhere remotely part of the ol' USSR.-Weeks

3. I remember when this came up on that other great board I frequent that has been spared the masses of the HAMB, I spent a few hours looking up info on the chernobyl incident and the present day state of things there in the 30 mile deadzone. After that I looked at photos of a rather large city in the great lakes region (I will not name) that is way spookier and hits closer to home. There was no great disaster that caused this other then the loss of alot of major manufacturing plants/jobs. Theres just no junkyard around with old tin to draw attention.-Weeks

4. Splinter

Splinter

My first wife was Russian....Don't ask. It's kind of a sore subject. Oy Hospicie- Ni babbistsa!!

5. RichG

RichG

...I agree, that thing needs chopped bad, maybe dropped and skirted too...:D Or maybe sectioned a little too...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. Radioactive contamination of the sort from Chernobyl is in the form of radioactive fallout. That means unstable isotopes of heavy metals settling out of the air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fallout Give it a good power wash and you are fine.

7. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

What did LADA cars have heated rear widows fitted ? 'So you didnt get cold hands pushing the fucker's' .........

8. So they coulda saved all of those lives of the people who had to go in and put the giant concrete sarcophagus over the reactor by just washing all the contaminants off the people or better yet just pressure wash the reactor down the drain? Man they sure were wasteful with human life. Sorry I will pass on what wikipedia says. Hope the parts from the junkyard stay behind the ol' Iron Curtain. The whole deal was one of the worst disasters that has ever happened and the threat is still present.

For those who care to learn about the incident
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRC1_OZPIg&feature=related

This is my last post on this o/t subject.-Weeks

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  9. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

So was my Second.... :(Baleen!:(

But the trips around Post Soveit Russia were real interersting if were into cars back then. Most of the roads were still full of Pobiedas,Zils,Zims,Zsa Zsa's ( :rolleyes: ) My ex wife had a Zsa Zsa which was a lethal peice of shit. Her best tool was a Short Skirt...;)

10. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

No,it's actually really Shitty Soviet paint. Go to Murmansk for a swim,i am sure the water glows at night:D:D:D:D with Plenty of American Liberty ships littering the naval harbour.

11. Bloody hell, now i know why the stray cats that sleep in my 1934 GAZ & 1947 Pobeda are all bald. :eek: Shit i,m bald too. :confused:

12. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Zil .(*Zis)
    [​IMG]
    Looked good with the top up
    [​IMG]

From the ZIS "101-A", a beautiful sport version was obtained: the "101-Sport" of the 1939 (four pics above, courtesy of Andrei Nikitin, http://www.autohistory.de; the third pic is taken from a number of the "Pravda"), first of a series of attempts for the production of sport cars. The engine was the same 5800 cc. of the "101-A", but boosted up to 141 hp, for a declared max speed of 162 km/h (although the "Pravda" says of 170-180 km/h). This two seater car, designed by Valentin Nikolaevich Rostkov, There were only 1 or 2 examples; however, it remains one of the best Soviet cars ever built.
    The Americanski stole a lot of styling ques from the Soviets.
    [​IMG]
    Here at the Worlds first Drag race .
    [​IMG]

13. mikeymike

mikeymike

Found some pic´s of old russian cars and trucks. the model 40 was called GAZ model 61, and was built between 1936 and 1942. It had 2wd or 4wd, pickup, and t very cool convertible sedan! There were at least three different fronts.....

I believe that the model AA was built until WW2,both with the "ford" front fenders, and with the "jeep" fenders.... GAZ M11 73.jpg

GAZ M415.jpg

GAZ 61 40.jpg

GAZ-M11.jpg

GAZ MM V.jpg

GAZ AA.jpg

14. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Thats because Henry sold them a lot of extra tooling he had for both AA's and 34's plus the early Fordson Tractor.
    Packard sold them the dies to make the bodies for the Zil limo's(Zavod Imeni Lihacheva)
    And the Gaz was a Opel Blitz. Not at all surprising because Russia was a 17th Century economy before the revolution and had no industry to speak of.

15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I always see bald pussys in Dutch movies,it must be very bad there.
    [​IMG]

“My pussies could have whiskas instead whiskey!”

16. joel torres

joel torres

mail that green one to me il mod that nicely

17. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Turn that baby into a GASSER since it kinda resembles a Ford Anglia :cool:

18. Chieftec160

Chieftec160

Gassers are not allowed in Estonia.Especially straight axel and so on.Cant shave my Volgas doorhandels because its illegall!Gey laws in here.:(

joel torres that is very small car and does not have frame.Its unibody.Do you know when the next container leaves Estonia to America?:D

19. T BUCKET TERROR

T BUCKET TERROR

if something/ someone is directly exposed to radiation, it will be "hot/radioactive" if it gets "dusted" by radioactive fallout, it can be washed and will be ok.

20. Magnus B

Magnus B

I have been looking at the Gaz 61, a cool car by itself since the body is a copy of the model 40 fordor. But I'm thinking that chassis would be the perfect foundation for a 4x4 pickup with a Ford 32-34 body. I wonder how rare they are?

//Magnus

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Any resemblence between the Russian military truck cabs/cowls with early 60's International Harvester Loadstar Trucks must be pure coincidence.

22. Zilrodder

Zilrodder

23. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The Moskvitch 400 reminds you of an Opel because it is. The Russians carted away most of the factory back to the USSR. They just started producing it with very little changed. Of course Stalin did not allow the two doors or the convertibles, only the sedans.

24. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Although the ZILs resembled Packards, the Packard company never sold off the dies. The Soviets were very good at copying designs they liked. Look up the story about the about the Tupolev Tu-4 here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4
    The Soviets did indeed build early Ford Model As and AAs under the GAZ name. Ford engineers worked to help develop the factory for Stalin. Some of them , enamored with the "Workers Paradise", decided to stay. Eventually, Stalin ordered them all shot!

25. sololobo

sololobo

Hey red red wheels, is there an echo in here? Cool stuff man, I don't think style points were the goal, only reliable transportation. Cool to see other cars from around the world. Thanx ~sololobo~

26. Zilrodder

Zilrodder

Thats correct. My truck cabin looks like its from -41 International, but it is at least 15 inches wider and lot bigger.

This Zil 111 has Cadillac style front end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITA-urEC6RY

This one is mixture of Packard and Imperial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_sqJOnmVw&feature=related

This Zis 110 is copy of Packard but look at that convertible version!
    On of those were for sale in Finland couple years ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7qLm--9T0&feature=related

This Gaz Tsaika was the most common limo in Soviet Union. I was a young turist back in early 80´s, one of these was parked at the front of Leningrad hotel and I got a ride with my friends for few dollars.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpO9FBK7Qd8&feature=related

27. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Yes Sir; We need to be thankful!!!!!

28. Alcobiker

Alcobiker
    from Moscow

This is not exactly correct. You're right about two-doors, but not about convertible types. On Mosckvitch factory they actually were producing convertible version 420A.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also were produced pickups and woodies, they are extremely rare nowadays
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way, in the same time (1949-1953) on GAZ existed convertable version of gaz-m20 Pobeda
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to Moskvitchs, before War the factory produced so called KIM cars, and the curious thing of them is that there were only two types of bodies - two-doors and convertables, because it was the most cheap solution. It was supposed that convertibles will be used in southern parts of the country
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those cars had lightweight frames. Funny, design's very similar with Opel Olympia already. Only two four-doors cars were made before War and even one of them survived in a museum. With the War began car production aborted and restarted only at 1946 on Opel base, but 4 doors. Incidently there were attempts for creating two-doors bodies, but "a Soviet citizen did not need the bourgeois excesses", so those versions were used in sports competitions only
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also in 1949 even wasn't allowed factory's attempt for making more actual looks for the car
    [​IMG]

well, don't be a surprise to add, that in the USSR the car was a great luxury for ordinary people, not to mention the cabriolet, coupe, etc. ;)

29. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Sweet....i love oddballs....