Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Running air line ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Mar 24, 2016.

1. I'm doing air ride on my car, first time doing an air system. I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips on how/where to run the air lines. Do people usually run them under the car along the frame or inside the car under the carpet?

Just trying to figure out the best way to keep the lines in a safe place but easily replaceable if needed.

Also, what do people normally use for hard lines if I want to go that route? Thanks dudes.

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 49 I just ran them down the hump under the carpet, isn't that traditional?

3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Ive always used 1/2" stainless hardlines and compression fittings. Along the frame held with line clamps. Heres what i did on my 51 F-1 frame
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458860195.377154.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458860222.523155.jpg

uglysteve and shawnsauto1 like this.
  4. What do people usually do?
    They usually run plastic line with a couple zip ties. Maybe one in the middle all over the place.

Ask what's the best way? I'd like to know that answer. Hard lines sounds good to me.

5. Nice work lodaddyo

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not knowing what you have makes it hard. DOT line P-clamped at regular intervals to the inside edge of chassis where it can't get damaged or crushed, and a rubber O-ring where they go through bulkheads (Floor, firewall).

uglysteve likes this.
  7. stimpy

stimpy

on vehicles that use it for brakes we run it in the flange area of the frame so its shielded and you can use the frame holes for mounting if you do not want to drill extras , and we use adel clamps to hold it in place they also make a neat non traditional zip tie to that has a square base and the tie goes thru it and thru the hole around the hose and back and it hold the hose away from the frame but its secure . panduit sells them .

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

One thing I would caution about steel lines and tanks, the air is damp and will cause rust in steel and corrosion in aluminum. Copper might be a better solution. Heavy equipment and trucks use air dryers to keep the moisture out. An air filter should be used in the system to keep debris out of the valves. A desiccant style dryer would also be advisable.

uglysteve likes this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Heres a few examples, most will leave an exposed fastener on the backside, unless you weld studs on at the mounting locations.

First is a partial clips that sandwiches to the frame, requires a fastener and hole at each location.

Second, full surround clamp with isolator cushion, requires fastener and holes at each location.

Third is actually a wire loom clamp, late model GM. Many ID'S available
    Not traditional, but it's a push clip, drill a hole and push it in. They slide open and can be reused.

Attached Files:

uglysteve likes this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

uglysteve likes this.
  11. I've got an accu-air set up with the exo-mount or whatever its called. looks like this...
    [​IMG]

No auto leveling stuff, I ain't that rich haha. I have the plastic line that comes in every air management "kit" you find. I have seen nice set ups with hard lines before and those seem like a more durable way to do it than the plastic line. Maybe I'll do a little research on the brass lines. Thanks for all the help guys

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Stainless hard lines are probably the best bet. That is what I am going to use in my car anyway. Nice work Lodaddyo That frame looks awesome! As for copper if you do choose that remember that it work hardens and becomes brittle so mounting points are key,I suppose the same goes with stainless depending on the grade. Dessicant dryers are very nice as mentioned but you will still need to maintain your tanks by draining them often to assure no water buildup. As for plastic DOT line I do not recommend running it under carpet, passengers and their feet tend to rub things and I have seen lines fail due to that. With any line you choose you will want to make sure nothing comes in contact with it.