Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Running a 322 aluminium flywheel on a 264 nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lamb, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Lamb

Lamb

Hey all, I'm down under so nailheads are pretty scarce. A while back I bought a 322 from over east that turned out to be a dud (dropped piston, scored bore etc) - I hope to rebuild it one day but I have found a 264 that I might run in the interim. I have an aftermarket flywheel that I was going to run on the 322 but of course it will be balanced to suit. Just wondering if there is any way I can run this on the 264 without irreversible modifications? The flywheel is a schiefer from memory.

cheers
    -Owen-

2. desotot

desotot

The 264 and 322 are balanced the same.

3. Lamb

Lamb

I didn't think they were as the 322 has a harmonic balancer and the 264 doesn't?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The harmonic "balancer" is, in most applications, a harmonic "dampener"...not a balancer. All physical items have a natural 'harmonic' or susceptibility to vibration when stimulated at that unique frequency. The harmonic dampener is a 'mass dampener' that 'absorbs' that harmonic, or causes it to move to another frequency, which will not likely be reached within it's rpm range.

So, as long as the engine is internally balanced, use the flywheel without concern....except for it's OWN balance, which you could have checked.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015