Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rumble seats- would you let your kids ride in them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 18, 2017.

1. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My daughters grew up in a rumble seat. They no longer fit back there, but it doesn't seem to have done them any permanent damage. Always strapped in, plenty of sunscreen. Recommend Kroop's goggles for effective, inexpensive, one-size-fits eye protection.

2. They are out of car seats and boosters

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. silent rick

silent rick

you guys are scaring me. makes me not want to take the panhead for a ride anymore.

4. town sedan

town sedan

Rumble seats are Dangerous! What was Ford thinking? They should have a mandatory recall and replace them all with trunks!

That said, my mom let me ride standing on the running boards of her VW Bug and dad never had a problem with us kids sliding around in the bed of a pickup. Guess life today is what it is, but I wouldn't turn down a ride in a rumble seat. The kids? Well maybe not at speeds over the neighborhood 25 mph.
    -Dave

Ron Funkhouser and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I would ..... but just for an occasional jaunt around a specified route....I do have to drive defensively the moment I turn the key anymore!!!...but, I only take neighborhood roads and shady lanes with low speeds. I don't trust most on the roads to be honest, and with the cell phone addiction running rampant in driving in Colorado (one hand on the phone, one on the steering wheel) ....I really have to take precaution, and make sure of low traffic and taking the best scenario. It's not an everyday event, but....once in a while, with all my "over-the-top precaution" I can muster....I would let kids hop in the rumble seat and enjoy a moment in time.

6. I'd never consider it on a highway, or big city, but I'd be fine with it around my small town.
    The law down here won't allow anyone in the back of a pickup, and I'd guess a rumble seat would require belts.
    My Mom always used to say that airplanes crash, but people still fly.

7. blackanblue

blackanblue

Off topic pickup in the 80,s me and 7 year old son his dirt bike, my panhead and earl our shepherd went on a roadtrip to PEI from Ontario and back,Earl and the bikes in the back,met my buddy who was getting married hence the trip. Amazing trip no issues,clam chouder, lobster, shine,,and no regrets. Ya me and the boy had belts.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

My 1912 T is a Touring car, no Rumble seat, but I let my 4 year old grandson drive it in low. Great grandpa's '31 Roadster has been off the road since 1983, if it ever runs again both grandkids can ride in the rumble. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I intend to once my car is finished, but by that time I also expect to be moved to my new place, and its a much smaller, more rural town. I agree with most of the guys here, I wouldnt on the highway, or in most places around here, too many morons tailgating and texting, while drinking a Starbucks. Hell, I don't really even like to let my kid ride in my wifes RAV 4 where we are now. Its the other guy that scares me, and three out of four of the "other guys" I see around here scare the living shit out of me.

29bowtie, kiwijeff and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

20160905_123427.jpg my kids ride back there all the time but as seen in the pic I bend up a remove able rod that holds it upen and would at least lessen the impact if it were to slam shut. I also added seat belts back there and a remove able piece of foam over the edge of the driprail in an effort to make it a bit safer in case of an accident. KIMG0463.JPG

LOU WELLS, Fern 54, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6433.JPG The Peter Helck 1912 MERCER with running board seat. This car was clocked on Daytona Beach back in the day at 112MPH. Bob

LOU WELLS, 29bowtie, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Do not think I would in today's world, traffic, etc. I cannot believe how people drive today, pretty scary IMO, don't think the police/ Sheriff's have the manpower/time to control traffic any more, every time I'm around a big city, it appears to be the wild west, out of control.

kiwijeff and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. Yamaha970

Yamaha970

Around town is a must..Slow and steady the kids love it.My Aunt drove us around in one as kids and I made sure I did the same for my kids..this is from a run to the hardware store had a load IMG_20160911_104637906.jpg IMG_20160911_104637906.jpg

14. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Also I always make sure it's during daylight hours..
    39 Ford taillights on 36 fenders are not the brightest of lights...

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Yep controlled situations no serious lengthy traveling.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. People are way too used to driving cars with abs, traction control, advance disc brakes and computer controlled suspensions. They all follow way too close, and go way to fast. People around here are all really aggressive, stupid and drive like A-holes. I pass several rear end collisions every day. Would I let my kids ride in a rumble seat? IMG_1484788929.231493.jpg hell ya! We cruise around surrounded by a lot less.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

My little bit to add to this. My bro. in law (Jim Bauch) had a 36 3 window w/a rumble back in the 70's. Rode his 3 sons back there ---A lot---even built convertible top for them. Moved on to a 32 Ford Cabro, youngest still fit. To this day ALL of the boys still have fond memories of the rumble seat time. I honestly don't have a take on todays thoughts. I guess if I was gong at highway speeds I'd want a seat belt on them. Bill

18. I wouldn't have thoughts of it without seat belts.

19. Kids? NO

20. compare it with riding in the back of a touring car.
    flying out in an accident- seat belts stop that
    front end accident making contact [heads] with the back panel- needs shoulder belts
    getting hit from behind with something high enough to crush the back -about the same.
    the lid getting slammed closed when hit high from the back- maybe design in some lock bars to add a defense.
    objects dropping from trees, off trucks,bird shit etc- a little more protection because of the coupe roof.
    really not that much worse.
    compared to:
    riding on the back of a motor bike?
    playing football?
    eating at mcdonalds?

21. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Well ya know we gotta protect this new fragile generation....

Deucedreamer and kiwijeff like this.
  22. e z i

e z i

Hell, I took the rumble seat outta my 31 so the grand kids couldn't go with me. :D

Lone Star Mopar and Spoggie like this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Safety is up to the owner or driver and what he's willing to live with. No one know's what the future brings. Rumble seat or not, we're driving cars that are fly paper compared to the other cars on the road. That being said, you can either stay in the drive way or take your chances. I know my fate, so yes, a rumble seat would be safe..... as long as the passenger thought it was.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not to get off topic, but this "new generation" bull shit has ruined a lot of stuff that was the fabric of just living. Kids have to wear helmets to ride a gawd damn skate board or even a freakin' bike! Shit happens, man. If the "Ole man upstairs decides to cash you in, well, that's it. C'mon, guys, can you honestly say, before it was LAW, that you didn't ride in your dads car NOT wearing a seat belt?

Bottom line, do what makes you sleep at night. If you feel that a rumble seat isn't safe, then make it a freakin' trunk.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Rodders

Rodders

I let them ride in the rumble.

26. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

I just gotta' ask. If they aren't safe in the rumble seat, are they safe anywhere in a car that ever came with a rumble seat? Even with seat belts? Front seats, back seats, child safety seats?
    In my opinion. These old cars should be treated like a motorcycle. If you need to feel safe, buy a Volvo.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sure, people used to ride Rumbles seats, bed of pic ups, etc. But, today we know a lot more about the need for safety. As a over the top idea, for rumble seat use: install roll bar/full seat belt harness/wear helmet

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. ... It's been an annual rite for my daughter to ride in the rumble seat during the all day cruise that our community puts on at the end of June every year ...
    P9220901[1].jpg

29. {Older and Wiser} My kids grew up riding in my model A coupe. And would let them hop in the rumble seat of my brother's A too. And I really never gave it a second thought. This past year, I have seen here on the HAMB , were accidents have happen to the greatest of rodders and drivers. Now the grandkids can only ride in the rear seat of the Nomad. And even then they have their seat belts on. And I won't take them on the interstates, or drive over 55 mph. As much as I love Hot Rods, I love them much more. Older and Wiser ? maybe