Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rumble seat or trunk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 5, 2020.

1. In the early 70's Brenda & I were in Gatlinburg and my pal Rene' & his wife were staying at the same motel, this run was in October and the weather was cool but Brenda & I crawled into the rumble seat of Rene's 43 PB Plymouth coupe and headed out for dinner, while we we eating a storm blew in and there was a lot of rain in a short period of time.

We walked around town waiting for the rain to stop, when it did we decided it best to go back to the motel, I was glad we had heavy coats for the ride back, Rene open the rumble seat and took a towel an wiped up some water that had gotten in on the leather seat.

Rene' & Dona got in and fired the car up and pulled quickly out of the parking lot, what we hadn't noticed but the stainless steel sheet metal top had water ponding on top and all that cool water came flowing back on Brenda and me, Rene; was very apologetic but laughing his arse off, it wasn't funny at the time, today we laugh about it.

That 10 minute ride back to the motel was about the coldest I have ever been, I have not sit in a rumble seat since. HRP

Algoma56, CobraJoe and pprather like this.
  2. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is slightly OT? I came across this picture of an early Triumph with a rumble seat, probably the most classy I've ever seen.

Phil Triumph_1800_1948_Roadster_Rumble_Seat_tall_Lake_Mirror_Cassic_16Oct2010_(14690506909).jpg

3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Trunk for me! Cooler, suitcase, chairs, a few tools...'gotta be prepared.
    SPark

interior16.jpg interior17.jpg interior18.jpg

4. Man that is nice, HRP

5. Trunk. When I built our A roadster, i had option to build either way. Trunk was way more practical to me, luggage, tool box, snacks etc. My mom, God bless her soul, bugged me about that, saying I was always thinking practical, but I know she realized I was right. My wife and I drove that 6000 miles a year, in a 6 month season 'round here.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

unless I win the lottery I will never have this issue. I'd say if you had a roadster where everyone is outside it would be more fun. my buddy in high school had a 32 Plymouth with a rumble seat. seems like every time we went somewhere I always ended up in the rumble seat because our other buddy was too pretty and didn't want to mess up his hair.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. A rumble seat is a trunk full of furniture.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Trunk, how else you gonna go get firewood?
    20190912_075241.jpg

9. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Beyond cool.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Dedsoto, R A Wrench and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Picking that suit case and ice chest up and over the body when I owned a 39 convertible was a major pita. HRP

1939-ford-deluxe-3-passenger-convertible-coupe-1.jpg

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Before I ever owned a hot rod, I saw an old timer neighbor struggle with his stuck rumble lid because he was using it as a trunk, something shifted and got in the way of it opening.

Later, when I got myself an old car with a rumble lid, I knew I would convert it to a trunk lid since I would be using it as a trunk only.

I'd like to think I learned at least one thing from someone else's pain.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.