Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rubberized white wall tire paint. ????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mongo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Has anybody ever used this product ? I just came across it while looking for tires on ebay. Is it any good ? Just wondering.

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Turns brown quickly. Westley's will clean it up, but it darkens overnight. LOTS of threads on this subject, and other cheapo ways to get WW's here. Trust me, you'll be happier with real WW's.

Brian

3. I know all the other ways. I ran wide whites on my 60 Olds that I ground myself. I had never seen this product before and was just wondering how good it was.

4. I did a search on here before i posted and didn't find any threads about it.

5. 61TBird

61TBird

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129558&highlight=whitewall+homemade

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354634&highlight=whitewall+homemade

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8249&highlight=whitewall+grinding

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkcm3rh60p0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkcm3rh60p0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. Again , I know the other methods, I'm not looking for a how to. I'm asking about a rubberized white wall tire paint, made just for doing tires. I know about Krylon and I know how to grind white walls. The question I'm asking is has anyone used it ? If yes , is it any good ? It's a simple question.

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I've seen it but never used it. I was told it was the same as white roofing paint so I went to the home improvement store and bought a gallon white roofing paint. It looked good for about a day. It turned brown and looked horrible. I was going to try to remove it but before I did I bought a can of this primer because the can said you could block bleed through from asphalt.

[​IMG]

Painted it on, that was last summer and it still looks pretty good. Some minor cracking but I did apply it over the original paint so I probably have it too thick but it still looks pretty good from 5 feet away. One quart is plenty for all four tires.

I agree, a real set of whitewalls would be the best but I used the paint for two reasons, the tires I have on my truck are pretty decent and I didn't know whether I would like WWW on my truck so I didn't want to dish out the $$ and find out I hated them.

8. I grabed some pics from ebay of two different brands.

Attached Files:

9. sergisbadass

sergisbadass
    from Dallas TX

hmm im gonna have to keep an eye out on this thread cause im curious on how they might turn out.

10. RocketGirl

RocketGirl

We used the product off Ebay on a customer that insited on having whitewalls on 33x11x15 MT Drag Slicks. Disnt work so well because wrinkle wall tires and it started to turn brown quickly, so it was all scraped off.

Attached Files:

11. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

I bought a tin of the stuff on the left from ebay, only got it for my motorbike tires. I agree what was said previous it does go brown fairly quick although i don't see there being an issue of painting over it now and then for it to look good. I haven't had my bike on the road so I can't tell you if it will crack or flake of under constant pressure of the road. But i think it definately worth a try considering the price of white walls we have to pay over here in Australia.
    Like most things I think this paint will work good with the correct cleaning and follow the supplied instructions.

Cheers
    Adam

12. shainerman

shainerman

Ive used the cheap little can on the right before. My buddy works at a antique car brokerage and they use it a lot. It works if youre not going to drive it much. I drove them everyday for about 3 weeks then it looked pretty rough. They let the cars sit forever and they look great, but they are also climate controlled and dont move. My advice: pass on it.

13. I used it on my old 55 poncho wagon. It had radial tires. Looked great after slathering on about 4 coats to cover some brown-wall tires...I took off down !-80 to Goodguys DesMoines and when I stopped at the ist rest stop about 30 miles down the road, the paint had all been thrown off and was collected up in the fenderwells...made a huge mess. Never again on radials.

Attached Files:

14. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

White Tire Paint from Iceland.
    http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

I put down 3 layers per tire as suggested.
    Worked as described, and after a year of driving around it's still holding up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did the 275/60 rear tires aswell:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reartires now do have become dirty and the paint has yellowed a bit from some of the burnouts I have done. The front tires are still as white as the day I put it on.
    I tried cleaning the reartires a little but didn't try really hard as I actually like the weathered/yellowed look on the car.
    Think 'tire-patina' :rolleyes:

15. Squablow

Squablow

I did the tires on my '55 Dodge with Snow Seal about 3 years ago and they are still nice and white. The key is to use used tires that don't have all that brown mold release in them yet, and to really super clean them with laquer thinner until you stop pulling up brown color. I'm convinced that the shit they sell on eBay is just Snow Seal with a different label and a huge markup stuck on.

They're a little smudgy in the picture from fingerprints, but you can clean them with Westleys just like a normal tire. This set has never been cleaned whatsoever in 3 years.

I have Cokers on my '52 Buick and they are very nice, but for some cars I just can't justify dropping $700 on a set of tires.

[​IMG]

16. HOT13ROD

HOT13ROD
    from florida

i used it it looked like crap

17. Now this is more like it. Actual info. Anybody else ?

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It turns brown overnight. Westleys cleans it, and it turns brown overnight. I know this because I used it. I thought it was actual info...:rolleyes:

19. I used the same stuff as "bigblockmopar" and is was ok. Would have to redo it every few weeks. I tryied regular latex exterior house paint and found it worked just as well.
    Trick is in the prep. Wash with acetone. Wire brush the hell out of them with a wire wheel on a drill. Wash with acetone again. The only two coats of paint. Anymore than that and it cracks and will fly off.
    With that said...... Never again. Diamond backs on my Merc and I ground my own just like in the video posted here for the front of my Merc truck. Turned out great.
    If you can't afford WWW go to the bone yard and pick up a couple shit white walls or white letters for cheap and grind em. Beats the hell out of paint any day IMHO.

20. Sorry my brain locked on to the last part and not the part about it turning brown.

21. Go to your local home improvement store and get a quart of 100% acrylic flat exterior house paint,,,,the key is make sure it's 100%,,,it will hold up a looonnng time! HRP

22. Um yeah.......sorry about that:eek: But understand it was probably sitting in that garage for 30 years before I found it! Damn I miss that car of yours!

23. Klattu

Klattu

[​IMG]This is the rubber paint I used on the 55 Buick.
    it does require the 'aged' tire, as a new tire yellows the white.

It does look great, and can make as wide as you like.
    I prepped the tires by grinding off all the letters where the WWW was going.
    I used the small 3M brillo type pads.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=626340&d=1237917536

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=626340&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1237917536

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=625694&d=1237830868

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  24. HALNGASS

HALNGASS
    from C.B. IOWA

I just spent a week preping and painting ( per instructions ) my radials with this krap from e -bay . Looked good till I drove out of the garage onto the driveway ( 20 feet ) . Then it was cracked and peeling all over on all four tires . I'm sure the first time on the street , it will be gone . Don't waste your time and money ....

25. HALNGASS

HALNGASS
    from C.B. IOWA

I just wasted a week preping and paintin and curin this krap on all four radials on my truck . looked good till pulled it out of the garage ( about 20 feet ) . it was all cracked and peeling on all 4 . I'm sure it will be gone in the first mile .

26. rivguy

rivguy

I used white spray primer from the hardware store for the wheel in my avatar. Read about that in Rolls and Pleats. Been undergoing a fade/brown- out test for the last five months. Still looks good. What's nice is that the texture is smooth, doesn't look thick, and has a nice satin sheen. Cheap too.

27. BBobb

BBobb

HRP has some pretty sound advice in this post.The 100% acrylic will help out the cracking. After that simple green cleaner will be a good product to use cleaning down the line.I am very surprised nobody has mention the Krylon Fusion paint.It has worked well for me in the past

28. dallasdave07

dallasdave07

Yeah,I'm interested in doing some homemade white walls too.I tried Krylon H2O first.I have the tire off the rim because I've just started to disassemble the bike for the project.Turning it into a rat bike.H2o goes on easy,dries nice and glossy,then CRACKS LIKE CRAZY when I touch it !Very flexible tires don't accept that kind of paint it turns out.But damn,looked nice though,for a while ! I'll report on my progress,as I continue the project...dallasdave07.

29. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

Yes that Krylon fusion paint works awsome! Its all in how well you prep it.

30. johnnyjalopy

johnnyjalopy

i to used the fussion paint work killer....just dont spray weslesy on the they turn color. i redid a set after that still look good for doing it on the cheep