Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods RPU top cost estimate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmac620, Apr 8, 2015.

1. dmac620

dmac620

Anyone have a ballpark estimate for what a upholstery shop would charge to sew up a canvas, top for my '29 RPU. I have the top irons and wood installed already, just need the fabric cut, sewn, and installed. I'm only asking so I can figure out if there is enough money in the piggy bank now or do I need to wait a while longer. I'll eventuall take a ride out to a couple shops in my area but just wondering what others may have paid for the same work.

BTW, if anyone can recommend a shop in the central NJ area, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Here in Des moines Iowa i have had two quotes one was $800 and ones was $1500

3. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Mac's, Snyders, Brattons catalogs?

4. bantam

bantam

Just got a quote last week at $ 1500.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This one was around $1800 and the upholstery guy said he never wanted to do another one.

Don

[​IMG]

6. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Mine was $1500...I already had the original top frame and an old top for them to use as a pattern if needed. The upholstery shop bought a pre-made top, but ended up having to remake quite a bit of it. When you do get a top stitched up, make sure the space between the windshield and the top overhang is closed up, and consider a back window section that you can unzip or unsnap to open up the back of the top. Both of these reduce wind buffeting. New threads 6-20-14 004.JPG New threads 6-20-14 004.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not sure on just the covering, Rod Tops is doing a full custom job on my 26 RPU, scratch built removable and collapsible top bows - framework and side curtains. Zip out rear window and storage bag for the top.
    Will end up being $4200 or so.

8. I welded up the frame for this top from 3/4" square tube. The upholstery guy pop riveted 1/8" panel board to the frame to attach the padding and cloth to. The top is fully padded, inside and out, like a Carson top. The rear window panel zips out, but I never noticed much difference in wind buffeting either way. The shop charged me $1400, I furnished the rear window frame and glass.

[​IMG]

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I am an upholstery guy, and before I read the answers I thought 1500 to 2000 . So it seems I was right. Good luck Jack