Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RPM Nationals. Drag race, show and swap. Oct 28th

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin B, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Justin B

Justin B

[​IMG]

The whole idea for this event started years ago, when things were pretty stagnant in San Diego, the good days of the king of clubs show were over, the antique drags opened up to 60's and 70's cars and well there just wasn't much going on. Mason Dyer (@dyerbrand), Russ (who doesn't know how a computer works but can lift heavy things) and I had talked to barona and several other locations around the county about holding a race over the last 3-4 years only to be shut down over and over. We hadn't gave up but weren't really actively pursuing it as much anymore than everything changed this year at the 4 ever 4 clubs antique nats. I had my little flathead powered t up there and after spinning an old ascot slick off the wheel on the second run was kinda bummed out that there wasn't really anywhere to race the thing unless I went out of state or waited another year. Phil, one of the banger club guys overheard my mumbling and kinda gave me that old shot in the arm reminder that if ya want it bad enough you'll find somewhere to race, then he mentioned his buddy had a "little ranch" up north that had a nice runway on it.

A few back and forth phone calls to the property owned and Mason, Russ and I decided to make a trip north and check the place out. We really didn't know what we were getting into as none of us have any real experience throwing or even pitching the idea of an event other than the little reliability run we've been doing down here for years. The "little ranch" turns out to be 17,000 acres with a perfectly smooth mile long runway in the middle. Located between Atascadero and San Luis Obispo, The Ranch's main focus is the wedding/event rental deal, but Rob the owner loved the idea of using the property for something more than just its scenic views. They already hold a large tractor show and a 4cyl speed trials event and he mentioned those were his two favorite weekends of the year because he actually got to enjoy his property.

Long story short(ish) we got the go ahead to give a little racing up there a try. The property is so massive we figured what the hell, of we're doing a race we might as well include a car show section, and since I have a major speed part/early ford/ junk collecting habit we might as well have a little swap meet section. So with all that the only major hurdle was picking a date, or so we thought, the ranch books out up to a year in advance for weddings and the only available weekend was the end of October so we jumped on it, coincidentally it's the weekend after the Hot Rod reunion at Bakersfield so hopefully some that come into town to watch all the fast cars and oil downs will stick around another week to head to the ranch.

THE EVENT DETAILS

Saturday October 28th at Santa Margarita Ranch

This is going to be a flathead and banger race only, side by side, 1/8 mile, flag start, 1936 and older cars or purpose built race cars only (early rails, sprinters, tanks, etc) it'll brake down into 3 classes, v8 street car , 4 cylinder street car, and full race, power adders such as blowers/ overhead conversions or fuel will put ya into the full race class.

If you're interested in racing visit rpmnationals.com and send in your entry, you have until September 22nd to get the submission in and we'll pick 100 cars to run out of the bunch.

Car show, this'll be relatively simple, 1960 and older hot rods and customs, free to enter your car with regular spectator ticket ($25) if you drive your 60 or older car to the race there's no reason not to bring it down the hill to the car show area, it'll get ya closer to the track and the car show gate will open an hour before the general spectator gate.

Swap meet, like I said the location is giant, so why not set up a area for those with overflowing shelves to sell some stuff. Spaces are $40 each, that'll get you and a truck/car load of stuff in, have a trailer? It'll be an extra $20. No reserved spots if you want to be by your buddy show up at the same time. Swappers are allowed to camp if they'd like, load in will be after 4pm Friday and out by 11am on Sunday.

Onto some of the entries that are already in,

Jeff arnett will be bringing the original bean bandits dragster

[​IMG]

Jim Lattin's SCOTT blown 32 roadster that he built over 50 years ago

[​IMG]

Jims son bill is dragging out the original record setting black widow

[​IMG]

Diana Branch's honey dew roadster

[​IMG]

Jason and Rochelle from bear metal customs banger powered roadster

[​IMG]

I'll add more entries to the post as I dig through the emails, but so far we have some pretty amazing entries coming in

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

waxhead, bali-rod, 1947knuck and 5 others like this.
  2. uncle buck

uncle buck

Sounds like a great time at a great location!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  3. mopacltd

mopacltd

That just may be a trip to California I would enjoy.

els likes this.
  4. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Justin. If we are racing do we need to pay for trailer parking. In pit?

els likes this.

5. Justin B

Justin B

Camping is free if you're a racer or vendor

els likes this.
  6. Justin B

Justin B

More great entries coming in, if you want to race get your submissions in by September 22nd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

waxhead, 1947knuck, els and 4 others like this.
  7. Marcy

Marcy

This is gonna be good!

els likes this.
  8. Should be epic!

els and ROCKER77 like this.
  9. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

just under a week away!!

els likes this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

How did I not know about something this epic and yet I live so close?? Work is really beginning to get in the way of my social hotrod life!!!! By chance is anybody going to post more pictures for this event???

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els and ROCKER77 like this.
  11. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Can someone post results from the drags?

els likes this.
  12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Way better event than I expected, seemed to go pretty well for the 1rst one , hope it happens again next year, you guys did good!

1947knuck, els, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

More pix please.......;).

els likes this.
  14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Sorry all I took , I got side tracked, but I can honestly say if you are in California or the surrounding area and they have the event next year try hard to come out to support it !..very cool venue with room to grow and very cool vibe ....

for the very first one it was a good turn out , it would be cool if a couple events could happen a year

els and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png My bud Rex sent me more

waxhead, 1947knuck, els and 6 others like this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Photos from my bud Chris image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

1947knuck, WillyKJr, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  17. Cool Stuff! Close enough for me, and even see a local guy there. My .02c that doesn't matter, but please take with the grain of salt.....Teething pains..... I like what I see, and even though the rules do not apply to me, I can dig it for what it is......Reasoning here= Seen closer venues/events get a lil to "commercial" as I call it, and the horizons got a lil past my acceptance level so to speak. Kinda lost it's flavor... And it turned a lot of people off to attending. I hope this will be a continuing event- one that I would attend. Wishing success, and longevity.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looks like a great turn out, thanks for the pictures!

els likes this.
  19. elgringo71

elgringo71

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Man, if these pix were all in Blk/Wht, you’d swear that you were looking & Goleta 1949-51.
    Great Job Guys!!!!!!

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

els likes this.
  22. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

here are a few I took
    DSCN5897.JPG DSCN5898.JPG

1947knuck, els, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  23. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

24. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

25. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

26. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

27. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

28. ...wow,..looks to be as good as the Race of Gentleman's events...

els likes this.
  29. Sure would like to see more photos of this event.....Thanks for the ones posted so far..

els likes this.
  30. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I’d have to say the quality of cars was on par with TROG and the event was really well organized and a blast to attend I sure hope this becomes a yearly event!