Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Royboy Productions coverage of the 2011 KKOA Leadsled Spectacular

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Jul 31, 2011.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Wow! It was a great weekend for me at the 2011 KKOA Leadsled Spectacular in Salina, KS! This is basically a home town show being 20 miles from home and I took as full advantage of that as my body would allow. Starting with going in on Wednesday night to see the early arrivers and enjoying the 107 to 83 degree drop in 15 or so minutes when a storm came through.

This year the show officially started on Thursday, not many people made it to the park on early but I had the honor of hanging out with Mick (straykatkustoms) and Ron Myers and others, it's always a kooler day with those kats.

Cell phone pic of one of the early birds on Wednesday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had arranged for a few people to go tour the historic Blue Heaven Studios and sister company Quality Record Pressings plant that just opened. It was just handful of us but it was still fun to see how records are made, I've been involved with the original recordings for years but never knew the inner workings of creating the final product.

Here's a cell phone shot from inside Blue Heaven Studios, which was my home away from home from 2000-2008 or so. We don't do many sessions anymore, it's now basically rented out as a wedding hall and reserved for our annual Blues Masters At The Crossroads concerts.
    [​IMG]

Another cell shot, this time of the Neumann cutting lathe that we use to cut our direct to disk records, the cleanest possible records made.
    [​IMG]

While some of the highest end records are only made from virgin material, others allow for old records to be ground up, melted down and recycled, here's some records that were scratched or damaged in some other way and are now awaiting a grinding machine.
    [​IMG]

After the tour it was off to Bright Built Hot Rods for the annual open house, this show typically has a better collection of hot rods & kustoms than most shows I hit, this year was no exception. Some of these photos have not been edited yet, sorry for that, I'm skipping steps to hurry the upload process so you all can check out the show. Click on any of them to go to the gallery and see all of the photos as they are uploaded, this is only a sampling!

[​IMG]

A nice selection of various kinds of cars showed up this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yaril Customs killer shoebox, fresh in from Miami FL to Salina, KS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody recognize this fella? That's one sweeeeeeeeeeet Caddy you have there Roger!
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry I never got to meet you but my uncle Povertyflats called you a friend and that's good enough for me, this killer ride you have sure doesn't hurt.
    [​IMG]

I love this '40, belongs to a buddy of mine from the Fundamentals in Wichita. He drives it out to Paso every year, and now has a tear drop trailer to go along with it so he doesn't have to sleep in the front seat.
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite cars from the KC area, can't wait until Greaserama to see it again.
    [​IMG]

I caught John (coolstuff) shooting some vid too
    [​IMG]

That's it for part 1. Thanks for checking out my photos, as I said above click on any of them to go see the full gallery.

See you at a show!

Travis

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Good photos Trav. I would like to see the record thing someday but had other things going on. That Kopper Kart clone pickup belongs to Dan from CA. Like you I had a great time this weekend.

3. Thanks for the pictures Travis!

4. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Thanks for the tease Travis...can't wait to see more!:cool:

5. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I wish I could have met Dan, that truck is awesome!

Thanks guys, I'm just starting to weed through the 950 total captures from the drags, while I go through them I can give you these videos to hopefully hold you over :)

The first 2 are videos shot with my phone, the last one (the letterbox looking one) is from the iPad, which should I shoot action with in the future?

<iframe src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1407550517_gdVvXvT?width=425&height=284" frameborder="0" height="284" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="284" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1407551462_XwhhGzC?width=425&height=284"></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1409640746_fmqxX2D?width=425&height=240"></iframe>

Hope that holds you animals over until I can get more up!

6. NEALS49

NEALS49

Hey Travis thanks again for sharing, I look forward to looking through your great shots. I have a few myself so all should be well. We should event a cool can adapter for our cameras my got way to hot... and for yours a antigravity plate cause it so big and heavy... Neal,

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I like the Ipad video better as it seems clearer. But never mind all this car stuff.......let's see a photo of the snake dammit-----

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Thanks for the starter set!!!

9. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

No time for pictures! The last I saw the snake it was flying through the air out of my kitchen door over the deck... S.O.B. spooked me out of a good nap too.

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Lame !!! :cool:

11. shoebox50

shoebox50

Great pics! I see Yaril made it in his killer shoebox!

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 2

After the Bright Built Hot Rods Open House was the official start of the show, a cruise through the business district of Santa Fe Ave in Salina. It was really more of a slow parade but it brought out a huge crowd, the cooler weather due to another storm that you can see in the last pics helped the spectator count as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Povertyflats and his security guard GasserLouie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad (Povertyflats favorite brother in law) and his dealer (car) Bobwop in Dad's 39 Chevy truck that he bought from Bob.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay (nosurf) showing us all how it's done.
    [​IMG]

Part 3 up next!

13. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 3! More of the Thursday Night Cruise on Santa Fe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yaril loves driving the snot out of his shoebox, lucky for us because we all get to see it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BarnFindT in his '40
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car may not be H.A.M.B. friendly but I hope you don't mind a shot of my friend Rachel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the cruise a few of us went a block up the street to a buddy's bar and had a drink or two and relaxed in the A/C, night 1 of the 2011 KKOA was in the books!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great pics - thanks for takin' the time to post 'em !

15. Always dig your work Travis. Why not shoot vid with the d90?

16. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Excellent Travis! Thanks for posting and as always - great seeing you!

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks guys!

The D90 doesn't autofocus in video mode, aaaaarrrrghhhhhh! That's the only issue I have with the camera. In the future I want to shoot more with a small device and upload on the go so people can kind of follow along as the show goes.

18. 51Merc-98Ag

51Merc-98Ag
    from Texas

Thanks for posting - this is my first post on HAMB and the KKOA this year was my first one to attend in my "new" Merc

19. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Great pics Travis..

20. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The light blue/Green pontiac is the shit. What a killer ride

21. bugnastynastybug

bugnastynastybug

22. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Good to see ya Travis,catch ya in Joplin!

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Best coverage yet.
    Love the blue ford truck, it has some crazy work on it.

24. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Great pics. Excellent commentary.
    This 56 is one of the best cars I have seen in any one of the photos.
    Clean, Good choice of color, and accessories!
    Absolutely well done!

[​IMG]

25. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great pics as always Travis!!!

26. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

killer pics!!!! Hopefully can make the trek from Upstate NY to Salina next year!

27. LabRat

LabRat

Great Pic's Travis ! Check out some GoPro vid's ... I love mine .

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

First off, really nice pictures. Thanks for taking those.

Plus, we got videos! Very nice job.

Any more?

29. sololobo

sololobo

Trav man, was great to see ya at the event, your pix are sweet as usual, thanx for being there and sharing the shots with all. The coverage of Brights cool event and the Santa Fe cruz are awesome. The flat turqouise Pontiac hard top has knocked me out every year, excellent. We appreciate your super work. ~sololobo~

30. wizzard23

wizzard23

Thanks for the pics, Travis. We had a super time, and it was good visiting with you again.