Register now to get rid of these ads!

Route 66 Ok. City to Joplin?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by bigken, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bigken

bigken

My boy is coming to the drags with me, and we are considering hittin' Route 66 in Ok City, running it to Miami - spend Thursday night there, and take it into Joplin on Friday morning. Anyone that cares to, is invited to join us. We will depart Dallas, Thursday morning around 6-7a.m.
    If anyone has advise/experience they care to share about that section of 66, please feel free to share it. Currently doing my research.
    "Happy Motoring" - shit, did I say that outloud? :rolleyes:

2. ryno

ryno

there a pretty cool motocycle shop in the down town / old part of miami. ive never made it when their open but it looks like they hav esome old stuff.

3. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

It's a pretty good drive and usually well marked. The last time I made the drive, I missed a turn in Vinita, so watch carefully. I get some more info tonight.

J.

4. ponchoman

ponchoman

I'll second Pops warning about watching it carefully in Vinita. I'd join y'all but can't leave until Friday, and anyhow, I've done the OKC to Joplin probably a hundred times since I moved from there (Joplin) to here (OKC) about 49 years ago. See y'all at the La Quinta or Ramada or whatever on Friday the 22nd.
    PonchoDon

5. bigken

bigken

Thanks guys, picked up a 'Travelers Guide' to Route 66. Pisser is, all the books are written for a drive from Chicago to L.A., and we're going 'upstream'. So I gotta lay it our backwards. Oh well, it'll be an adventure anyway...............
    See y'all Friday.

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

Why are you going to florida ? :D

7. bigken

bigken

Never been there???? :rolleyes:

8. SHRUM

SHRUM

A ways out of okc there is a place on your left, just east of arcadia that has some cool stuff. If you keep your eyes to the left you will see a blue whale by a small pond. Then you need to turn around and go back! He has a cool little room that he rents, but the coolest thing is if you get him talking about his work. And if your lucky you might get to see a duece;)

9. ponchoman

ponchoman

Shrum,
    Yeah, he's an old buddy of mine, name of John H. Got a truly cool '32 Vic, and he has built all the stuff around his place with minimal help and a big dose of imagination!!

10. SHRUM

SHRUM

Yeah he was building a 3 wheel 2007 cavalier,really neat place we got his card so we could rent his room for a birthday party. We got pictures of all kinds of stuff Except the 32. You dont expect to walk upon something like that:eek: Real nice guy

11. bigken

bigken

Yea, the Blue Whale is in Catoosa, and it's on the list. What really hurt was the plans to stop at the Rock Cafe in Stroud. It burned a couple months ago, but will be rebuilt. It won't be ready until NEXT year.
    Oh yea, how much time do I plan for playing part tourist for the drive from Ok City to Joplin?
    Thanks guys.

12. SHRUM

SHRUM

This isnt that blue whale,this is just a cut out to look like it. Rock cafe looked like they hadnt touched it,I was wondering if they were going to rebuild or not. We also stopped at the round barn thing it was neat too. I was meaning to time how long it took from okc to tulsa but we stopped so many times that I gave up on that. There is also a cool gas station you could take pictures at in one of the towns mabee sapulpa? Its on the right and even has a couple of cars inside.