Register now to get rid of these ads!

Route 66 nostalgia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by narducci, Feb 6, 2008.

1. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

The EZ book is great....There is so much Route 66 info available on line....The Arizona Fun Run is coming up in May....3 day run from Seligman to Topock.....Great drive....When in Tucumcari, the Blue Swallow Motel gets my vote....If you stop at the Powerhouse in Kingman, you can pick up a lot of info of things to find along the road....There is also a Rte 66 group on yahoo that is very informative...been on it for years......
    Moved from St Louis to L.A. in 1967 in a '62 Ford Galaxie....Route 66 all the way.....The massive interstate project was in full swing at the time so there was lots of detours....Even today there is lots of remaining original things to see but they are dwindling every year......
    Now I just gotta do Illinois and I've done it all......I work just off of Sunset Blvd....Part of Historic Rte 66

2. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

One of the landmarks on Route 66 in Springfiield, Mo. was Red's Giant Hamburg, home of the first drive up window. I emphasize was because like many things on "The Mother Road" Red's is long gone. I don't live too far from the lot where it once was.
    By coincidence I stumbled upon a Youtube video I never knew existed of local music group The Morells doing their song about Red's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfs-TFt96T0

Here is also a link to a Route 66 site on Red's.
    http://www.birthplaceofroute66.com/bk1story.html

[​IMG]

3. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

My wife's uncle's brother owns Estes Motors in Springfield....One of the oldest used car lots on the Mother Road