Register now to get rid of these ads!

rounded hood corners on a 49-51 mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Ok fellow HAMBERS I am thinking of rounding the corners on the rear of my hood on my mercury. I saw a thread about this same topic some time back but unable to find it now. My problem is how much to round or if I should round. I know that there are folks out there on both sides of this same fence ( like or no like). Myself, I like the rounded corners up front but still torn on the rear ones. I have heard that the reason for rounding the rear is because the hinges like to drop and causes the hood corner to hit the edge of the fender causing the disastrous paint chip and such. I think that with the rounded corner it gets a little busy where the door and hood meet with all the different body lines there, and I do not want to mold my fenders into the rockers and make it all one piece either.
    Now on to my help needed. I was thinking of doing a small rounded corner that is less noticeable at the very bottom of the hood rear corner. Basically just remove the edge of the hood and mold it onto the fender, that way the door lines are not to cluttered there.
    I know I am opening up a can of shit asking for pictures and thoughts on this, but I value y'all s opinion and think your advice is mush appreciated as well.

2. man nobody wants give some advice on this. hell just some pictures would help me out.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Do a search on "rounded hood corners" and you'll be busy reading for a while. Your idea of just small rounded rear hood corners sound good, but won't you still have to weld the hood and the fender together?

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

on a 50 4dr we did years ago,we used a spray can to get the radius we wanted,trimmed the edges & welded em back in place & welded the edges up then cleaned up the welds,the hood we did the same & used sheet metal to finish the edges. sorry no pictures,hopefully this makes sense??--chuck

5. I did a search and come up with a few and read them. I seen one somewhere about doing it like I am thinking but cannot seem to find it.
    Damageduck I am thinking about the same way you are talking about and understand completely

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There was a tech article in a fifties magazine about this probably by George Barris. He took a grinding disc and laid it on the hood or door corner and traced around it. Cut the corner off and welded some new steel to the body to fill in the space. He added some reinforcement behind the cut off corner as well.

7. Hoods rounded in the rear are cool, did you check on Rik's site for pics?

8. NO I will have to look at them