Register now to get rid of these ads!

round up... good for kids?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StanDaManTX, Apr 4, 2009.

1. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Hey guys, this is the first year i will be attending round up and i'm pretty pumped up about it. My wife is kinda nervous about us bringing our 9 month old son along, because our neighbors told us it was a "huge drunken party". No quite sure what to expect and if it is a "huge drunken party" i'm cool with that.:D I am just trying to figure out if it's something i should bring my son too. Any input to help me make a decision would be appreciated.

2. Harris

Harris

Yes, there are some people drinking, but overall a very family friendly environment. I saw many couples last year with young children in tow.

3. 62nova

62nova

The Burlesque show on Friday is always a hoot.

4. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Your kid will be fine there. Maybe not drag him to a midnight show at the Continental though. If you are going to the Sat. show at the expo center, no problems. I will have my 3 kids in tow with me. As I always have. There is good shady spots to be found on the grounds. Maybe carry some small portable chairs to sit on.

Honestly at 9 months old he won't remember much.

These were a couple of my two hoodlums a couple of years ago making beards out of grass and packing tape.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009

5. belair

belair

At 9 months, sunscreen is a MUCH bigger priority. And the car show is a nice time. No pony rides, but still fun. Downtown at night? No place for kiddies.

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Kid that young will need shade, for certain. It's a long day if you let it, but nothing I am afraid of taking the teen and tween to.

7. Von Franco

Von Franco

Stan there are lot's of shade at the fairgrounds and he'll like the mini bike races as well.
    Come by my booth and I'll give him his first hot rod decal ...................

8. been to several HAMBcentric events, never had one that did not have kids and fun. Even when we get a little loose at the drags it is later in the evening when most families have gone off to do family things.

9. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

thanks for the info guys. ive never really encountered a show that wasn't family friendly. I just wanted some insight from guys who have been there before. gotta be responsible you know. I will def. be bringing him along. its never to early to get em started. My dads got pics of me crawling though parts cars lol

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  10. Philbilly

Philbilly

I was going to bring my 4 year old son so I'm glad to hear the good comments.

11. borndead327

borndead327

My son has been going since he was 4 yrs old
    He loves going to the roundup
    I think his high lite was meeting Jesse james
    Good thing he knows what bad words are

12. Crease

Crease

Bringin mine, just a bunch of nice folks. Haven't missed a RU yet and I've never seen any drama. However, there was a 10 foot jackalope which was eyein my son. :)

13. gonmad

gonmad

The last two years my boy has went. And he is now 3 1/2. No problems, and congress is fine if you go back to the hotel at a normal kids bedtime. We may be going again this year, but not sure. We now have a 2 week old!!

14. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Just make sure you have a rope of some kind so they don't run off.:D

Attached Files:

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Danyelles 1st roundup she was 5 months .

16. At 9 months I doubt he would be pissed if you left him at a responsible baby sitters. You might enjoy the show more if you don,t take him.Yes I have kids and started taking them to the shows and swap meets when I figured they were old enough to actually enjoy it. Dad and mom need some time off too.....

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big drunken party? Is Breeder going to be there??.......

Doc.

18. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

They must be talking about the R.O.T. RALLY biker event which is not for kids. LSRU is very fun for all ages.

19. Crease

Crease

Yep, this will be my son's first RU at 4.

20. I took my two 3 year old boys last year and they are ready to go again this year! This is our "Men's Weekend Away" (and my wife's vacation away from all of us...)

21. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

I would love it to be a "men's weekend away" lol. But he's still pretty young and at a point where only mama can make him happy sometimes.:( But she is excited to go cuz she has never been to something like this and I am excited for her to experience the Kulture. I want her to know what she's in for now that my car will be on the road soon.:cool:

22. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Stan,
    Take him up on this. Your kid will thank you someday! (take your camera)

Bart