Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods round spindle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Apr 6, 2018.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. i've always used original ford spindles. they are not hard to find, i see them for sale all the time on here for reasonable money

gimpyshotrods, bct and Montana1 like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

The first thing that caught my eye was the price, RED FLAG! I might be wrong but those look to be castings and not forged steel. The grainy look in the photos and also what appears to be a thicker flange where the backing plate bolts on are what I'm basing my opinion on. Looking at the vendors other offerings there is a cast axle with a really crude look to it, not at all like the appearance of other aftermarket dropped beam axles most, if not all of which are also castings these days. If nothing else this guy has a lot of balls displaying that Ford banner on the wall and a sticker on the carton.
    Like 36 said, look around and buy original Ford spindles, either round back '37-'41's or '42-'48 square back. You will need to also get a king pin set and have the bushings fitted, either heat and bend the steering arms to clear a dropped axle, or cut off the arms and buy dropped arms, forged of course. More costly, but what is your life worth?
    Oh, consider this- if king pins are $40 and maybe another $50 to get the k/p bushings honed how much does that make those spindles worth to that guy?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Elcohaulic and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. This is the axle they sell, it has Hoffman written all over it, that is all you need to know.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. BTW, when you look at their on line store, they have the nerve to hang a Ford Motor Company sign behind all the products.

That's a giant red flag! (and really deceitful)

gimpyshotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. bct

bct

I can get you spindles cheaper than that. Would you like cedar or pine?

Speedy Canuck and Just Gary like this.
  7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

it's interesting how nobody agrees on things. one thing someone wants to use is original and everybody screams about metal fatigue and worn out dimension. use new everybody says. then another person wants to use new and everybody screams about quality. also, if you took the time to read the whole description he says they are made from 4140 forged steel. he could be lying i suppose but, if nobody has used them or you don't know of anybody who bought them, how do you know about the quality. i looked at other companies like speedway and their prices start at about $130 and go up from there. like upwards of $400. so what is the quality of those and why are they so high? after all, isn't just about every thing made in china now? if you buy the same thing made in china for 3 times as much as you can get it elsewhere does it make you feel better? besides all that, i am not buying an axle. have you not seen other companies sell some good stuff and the same company selling junk too? another thing i noticed, he has 140 feedback points with just 3 negatives. also, the people that bought the spindles gave positive feedback. maybe after awhile it would be interesting to see how the spindles stood up to use and abuse. that would really tell the tale i think. i will keep looking around at other places and try to figure out why, if it's all made in china, why do the cost vary so wildly. thanks for the replies.

8. Crocodile

Crocodile

By that reply, it almost seems your decision has already been made.
    If you go with these, please let us all know what you use them in/on. and how happy you are with them.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd bet that those are Helix. There are a lot of vendors showing up on Ebay right now selling left over Hoffman Group stuff under a lot of names. Helix spindle..png

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checking that Vendor's history they have been on Ebay Dec 14, 2017 They have no store front operation that I can find.
    You take your choice and pay your money Gary but the guys gave you their opinion after you asked and you didn't seem to like it.
    Those guys are just another front for Hoffman group junk. Most likely the shipping address for the parts will be out of Portland Oregon. No one will take their adds anymore because of the poor quality of what they sell.
    Right now they are going to be facing a few lawyers from Ford and Mopar to start for unauthorized use of their name.

11. Fordors

Fordors

Like I said right up front, I could be wrong about them being castings. Turns out I was wrong, I should have read the description. Like you said they are 4140 forgings. Forging is one thing, was there any heat treating done after the forging operation? What if any QC procedures were followed? Mr48 raises a good point, were they produced for the Hoffman group?
    You can also get a vega ( I won’t capitalize the name, this knock off shit isn’t worthy of that ) steering box from online vendors complete with a universal joint, pitman arm and the bracket to mount it on the frame for $140. Such a deal!
    If you want to gamble so be it but I just cannot believe quality and profit can be built in those spindles at that price point. Let me know if you ever decide to drive your hot rod in Chicago’s southwest suburbs OK?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  12. Yes and there's metal and there's 'metal.' :eek:
    Who knows what the metallurgy really is, let alone any treatments.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

They do not look like a forging..And claiming 4140 is bs..They look purdy though..

14. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

don't worry about chicago. i wouldn't be caught dead there! hahaha. i live in calif. that's bad enough. i wasn't dogging on everybody's opinion. i was just surprised on the comments. are the ones speedway sells for $ 139 junk too? maybe. thanks for the replies.

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Think of it as jumping out an air plane which parachute would you buy?