Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Round Back or Square Back Av8 Spindles? Brakes? Steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Sep 15, 2012.

1. bab59

bab59

Setting up a Model A front Axle.
    Have all of this on hand can go either way.
    Which spindle brake combo does everyone like better?
    1940 Ford passenger Round back non bendix brakes. Cross steer ready, or go with traditional?

1949 Ford F1 Square Back Bendix brakes Ugly drivers spindle.

Which set does a guy sell which set is a guy happy with? Any way to fix the ugly steering arm on the 49 F1 square back spindle run cross steer or traditional? Which steering Style?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a lot of guys who run the F-1 spindles cut the original (and ugly) steering arm off flush and use an aftermarket steering arm. That is what I plan to do if my buddy comes through with the F 1 pieces when he subframes a truck he and one of his grandkids are planning on building. I'm running fenders though and the spindles won't be that obvious.

3. Koz

Koz

To me it depends on how heavy the car is. Non self energizing brakes require a bit more room to stop than the Bendix but are not horrible if kept in good adjustment. That is the word, good adjustment. The Bendix brakes stop better but are more cash to set up and just don't have "the look". The best of both worlds is using the early backing plates and putting the self energizing guts in them either with Buick drums or Ford/Lincoln drums. These suckers will put you through the windshield. There are a number of threads on here about how to do this mostly using early 70's Impala guts. Just do a search. I'm using the later on my new pickup and have used the same setup on my '35 pickup and my '30 roadster and they both stopped great with a 1" bore MC, non power.

I've modified the '49 spindles to take a side steer arm, you can check out how on my Sport coupe build thread.. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641469&highlight=koz+sport+coupe+sort+of

This one was done on the round back spindles but the concept is the same. I've run cross steer, side steer and cowl setups. All of which worked great. It's all in having them set up and your geometry right. All work well if "on" and varying degrees of bad if not "on". It's what works for you. My favorite is still a Vega box and cross steer, albeit not the most traditional in appearance.

My 2 cents......

4. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

On the fronts I used the round back spindles and the F1 11" brakes. The spindled needed to be ground some for clearance with worked fine.

I never tried the F1 Spindles, do they fit? I did try the '42 to '48 spindles and the taller upper king pin boss would not clear the F1 wheel cylinders that are available these days, no way, no how.

Just remember that wire wheels won't fit without spacers in the F1 setup.

Cliff Ramsdell

5. Easy to modify the F-1 spindles to remove the "ugly"; but by the time you purchase bolt on arms you will have a fair amount of money in them.

I think you would be better off to use the "round-back" spindles that already have steering arms.

Here are a couple of pictures of a pair I modified. Look like earlier "square-back"
    spindles with the arms cut off.

I have had no problems getting brake hoses to fit the current Chinese F-1/F-100 wheel cylinders on either "round-back" or "square-back" spindles.

Attached Files:

6. Round back spindles are usually the spindle of choice. Self energizing brakes have to do with the era you are shooting at, if your era did not already have self energizing brakes then you will have to go with an earlier brake setup.

Cross steer also depends on several variables. For instance my '38 Ford came stock with cross steer. Anything built after '38 could have had cross steer. For instance, suppose I was alive and building in '51 and was building a slick '27 T, I may have chosen a cross steer and spring in front setup from a '38 Ford.

7. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

36 FORD PU 004.jpg

EL MIRAGE 012.jpg I used my original 36 ford square backs, I used bendix brakes out of a 53 f1 and the wheel bearings some on had posted here. no fitment issues at all. I did cut off the steering arms due to excessive clearance issues. needed to go 4 in drop on the steering arm.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

37-41 Round flange or 42-48 Square flange spindle are the same as far as I care. Use whichever you have access to and everything fits fine. I prefer the 42-48 single adjustment brakes just because they are easier to adjust. Never used the F-1 or F-100 conversions but I'm a low-bucker, run what I find.
    Cross-steering works fine and a steering loop makes fore-aft steering not a problem either. I never cut off the extra eye on the RH spindles though... just hate to ruin a spindle for its intended use.

9. Those sure look like 42-48 spindles to me, not 1936.

oliver westlund likes this.
  10. Before my learning curve I bought 2 driver & 1pass f1 spindles,found out the spindle inner bearing is bigger than a car.I've got 46-48 car backing plates,hubs,drums loaded with extra shoes so now searching for car round or square spindles.

11. X2, and I was kinda wondering why the OP didn't just bend the stock arms to clear.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The spindles could be the late36 ones with the 37-48 axle stub. Early 36 and earlier Ford spindles have a longer stub axle and require bearing spacers to use the hydraulic hubs and the holes in the hydraulic backing plates to be slotted and use a centering ring on the flange to center the backing plate. The bolt hole pattern on the 28-36 spindle flanges is smaller than the 37-41 and 42-48 spindles and reuires the bolt holes in the plates to be slotted to attach them.

13. '35 and '36 spindles have straight vertical sides, easy way for quick ID when someone is trying to scam them as "square-back" spindles.

14. Fenders

Fenders

I don't know why anyone uses non-energizing brakes on a hot rod....

FWIW:
    1937 - 48 spindles will work
    37 - 41 are round back, look nicer in my opinion, just need a little grinding at the top
    42 - 48 are square back
    otherwise they are identical

1953 - 56 Ford F-100 pickup brakes and hubs are self energizing and fit on those spindles -- you can buy the bearing kit from Speedway, just have to trim the inner bearing a little with a grinder.

Plenty of threads on the net about this set-up.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Because they work fine if you pay attention to your driving.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I use non-energizing brakes on my hot rod.....because that's what I had laying around. That's hot-rodding, to me anyway.

oliver westlund likes this.