Register now to get rid of these ads!

Round 2 of c6 trans issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragstar, May 4, 2009.

1. dragstar

dragstar

I posted a few weeks ago about some shifting issues I've been having with this Merc I have, 390/C6 combo. Its having issues dropping into 2nd while you're in the throttle, it winds up to about 4500 rpm and will finally drop into 2nd when the throttle is let off. The 2nd/3rd transition is no issue at all.

It seemed the issue was solved and maybe the trans was just overfilled before, after an 80 mile trip the problem is on again, off again.

At this point, I've dropped the valve body and looked it over for any blockage and pulled the vacuum modulator checked for any kinks or issues within the vacuum line. I ran new hardline from the intake manifold vacuum with just 6 inches of soft line at the ends just in case. I'm honestly at a loss with it now. the trans has maybe 600 miles on it, but has exceeded its time warranty as is is about 5 years old now. Fluid is fine at operating temp.

Any ideas are appreciated.

2. 1930 A

1930 A

it sounds like maybe the kickdown rod is being pushed too soon and the trans is in passing gear. When you let off the throttle the rod is released and lets it shift. Try disconnecting the kickdown rod and see what happens then.

3. dragstar

dragstar

Much appreciated and something I have overlooked through this whole ordeal. I'll look into it! Thanks

4. dragstar

dragstar

any other recommendations from the morning crew?

5. Do you mean finally drop into third?

Kickdown linkage too tight?

I'd try a new modulator. If that didn't work I'd pull the tailhousing and inspect the governor.