Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Round 2! 1940 Buick Super. Kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyNapkin, Jul 28, 2014.

1. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Since my 53 Buick is done and I'm between projects on my house, it's time to bould my next Kustom. So lets start a thread on my project so it keeps me motivated. I picked up (finally) a 40 Buick Super on Easter. I bought it from a friend of a friend that has been working on it off and on for the last 12 years. He knows that I'm a Buick guy and that this was one of my dream cars so he finally decided to sale it to me.

What he did. He took the body off the frame where they put a 68 nova front clip on it. Rebuilt the rear suspension and put a mustang 2 master cylinder on the frame. He also made motor mounts so a 350 will sit in her. The body has been under coated and the frame was sprayed out a satin black. He had a parts car so this one had all of the nice parts and some doubles . Probably the nicest car I've ever started with. There's very little rust.

My plan. Well chop it 4 inches in the front and lay the back down till I like it. I'm going to give it a hard top treatment and add 37 ford headlights. Widening the back of the rocker/running boards are a must. The rear fenders are going to get welded on and smoothed as well as the hood and trunk decked. I have a set of 41 caddy bumpers that I'm going to put on and Appleton spots. The rear wheel is going to change and I'm going to make skirts to fit. I'm going to stick with the Chevy drive train and the front clip they put on. I am going to do different rear suspension set up. Probably a triangular 4 link with bags. I like to drive my cars and I want it low and ride good. So that's what I am shooting for time to start the fun.

Remember I am just a hobbyist and I do my own work in a garage at my house. Limited tools but I do have dome awesome friends. Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The vision that I'm shooting for is something like this. I've been dreaming of the car since this came out in The Rodder's Journal..
    [​IMG]

Ranchero59, 54delray, Tin Can and 5 others like this.
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Looks like it will make a really cool custom. My personal opinion is to forget about 37 Ford Headlights, it's not a traditional custom touch and I think it will detract from the overall look of the car.

3. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Love your 53 and this will be a great car in the end. Janne does some great ideas and I will be watching this thread all the way thru. Have fun and enjoy every minute on this 40!!!!

4. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

31Apickup Thank you for you input

5. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

jwcaddy Thanks for the kind words on the 53. Im building this one to blow that one out of the water. Well I hope. lol

6. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Time for the Chop!!!! Like I said 4 inches are coming out of the front and the rear is going to go down to what looks best. I was way more nervous to cut this car. I must have stared at it for hours before I made one cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty happy with the turn out. Thanks to my friend Sean for coming over and being my second set of eyes. And the best thing is my neighbors are still talking to me. HA!!!

Ranchero59, brEad, UNSHINED 2 and 4 others like this.
  7. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

8. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thank you

9. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

So I'm trying to stay organized and efficient on this car. Its just to clean to just start hacking away with out doing my research. Every night I go and just stare at it and measure and remeasure. That being said I'm going to work from the front to the back. So I am going to start on the headlights. I'm going to put on 37/38 Ford headlights. I love the glass lenses. To me the Halogen bulbs on the stock front end just doesn't look finished to me. Plus when I set the Ford one up they look to match the grille so well.

What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ranchero59, brEad, 54delray and 6 others like this.
  10. gatz

gatz

Nice work. The Ford lights look great.....it'll keep people guessing.
    Will be watching this.

11. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thanks gatz

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

That Henry teardrop design is way cool and the last of butterflies hooded Buicks-you nail it! More pics & updates...

13. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Got my jetback in Hayward and put it at Rods in the valley's place Napa last year. Enjoy it every day since i got it home. Here is a pic on it from Rodneys backyard. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408208920.169759.jpg

14. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thanks sir. And a beautiful Buick.

15. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Ok what a F'd up month August was. I felt like shit just was going down hill and I had no time to play on the car. The good news is this car and my finished 53 stayed intact during a 6.0 earthquake in my home town. The bad news I had a 6.0 earthquake in my home town and my barbershop downtown was a mess.

Here's what I did get done. So I am trying to work from the front to the back. Except I am going to skip the hood. I need some reinforcements to help me on that. Front bumper time. Again they are 41 cad bumpers. I had to make a few pie cuts to get the shape I liked and A LOT of getting up and down until I got the bumper brackets right. I like how it turned out what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I wanted to make a splash pan (or whatever you want to call it) to cover the bumper brackets. So I made bucks and formed it. Using my shrinker and stretcher I was able to get them to curve down at both of the ends

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .

I do need VERY BADLY the bumperttes/ bumper guards for these bumpers. I would like to put the tail lights in them on the back. Let me know if you or anyone you know has them and I will gladly buy them. THANKS

brEad, Tin Can, Ranchero59 and 2 others like this.
  16. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

You have "the eye" for details and the skills! Hardtopped roof and doors-way cool. Splashpan and no hood-just imagin what you gonna hide radiatorsupport with. This is rad.... Bumperguards is hard to find but you go true earthquake and neighbors still talking,think you have one of those HappyDays in front of you! Frontbeams was a hit,backend will be aswell-go man-GO

Ranchero59 and TagMan like this.
  17. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Well thanks. I don't really think I have skills. I'm just not afraid to try something and maybe some luck. But thank you so much.

18. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

No worries and thank you for sharing your opinion. I knew the headlights where going to be the love it or hate it thing on my car. Everyone got mad when I shaved off the port holes on my 53. Luckily I'm not building the car for you.

I drive the shit out of my cars and I did a little test/ mock up with that angle before I welded them in. Passed with flying colors.

Time to carry on......... :)

19. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Moving on my way back, I worked on the running boards/rockers. I hated that the back of the running boards just dove off in the back and how smooth the front is but the rear had this nasty bolt on rear fenders. So I widened the running board and I welded on the rear fender. I feel it looks a lot better.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Smoooooth constructor! All those small details doing the result! Work on. Any luck with bumper guards?

21. Hmmm.........I must admit the Ford headlights are growing on me. Ya have to understand us old farts were accustomed to seeing the 40-41 GM h-lights in 35-36 Fords back in the day. They were the cat's pajamas!
    As for the hardtop chop, well its............right on.. Subscribed.

22. seldom scene

seldom scene

23. seldom scene

seldom scene

Good job, well done. Did you raise up the rear fenders a little to get rid of the "G M step" ?
    I,m glad you're not building it for me. I wanted to chop mine "High School Confidential" style with a blanked in rear quarter window. I have permanent black and blue bruise on my ass for kicking myself every time I think about selling my 40 Super. hopped up str 8 ran good, real good.

24. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Love it all. Chop is perfect and the rest of your mods are spot on.

25. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

36 ROKIT. Thanks, yes I understand its not the "normal" treatment to the headlights. But for some reason I have always loved them and I think the fit nicely next to that grille. Like I said it will be the thing that some will love it and some will hate it. Thanks again for your input. I love learning and growing as a regular car guy. I hope to hear from you on other steps along the way.

26. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

motoandy. Thank you sir

27. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Here's a little up date. I mounted my Appletons on the car this week. Something I thought would be so simple took me 3 nights after work. LOL its done and they turn out how I wanted them too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ranchero59, mgtstumpy and jocktherock like this.
  28. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

112's ?

29. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Yep. You are correct.

30. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Cooooooooooooool........