Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rough service bulbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank Carey, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Are the new LED light bulbs suitable for use in a drop light? Will they hold up like the rough service bulbs we've all been using for years? Is there a rough service version of LED bulb? Are the old rough service incandescent bulbs still available?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I've been using a rechargeable LED work light for a while....no cord.

RICH B likes this.
  3. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I bet the led bulbs will outlast the old rough service ones plus no heat generated .the only thing I don't like is the way the light is distributed its like it doesn't get into all the nooks and crannys .seam dim

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That’s all I use now. The cheap LED replacement bulbs outlast the rough service. They take a beating.

6. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Yep when you drop them the filament doesn't break like with incandescent bulbs

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walmart carries the incandescent rough service bulbs or at least they did a couple of months ago.

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have been using LED bulbs in drop lights for quite awhile.
    No heat, seem to be very resistant to breakage during the oops moments.
    Best way to go!
    KK

9. The “drop light” is the best for a corded light as the ballast is down by the plug the light can take a beating

Been using cordless led lights for a few years now work great
    No cords no heat

10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

led is all I have been able to find here at my local ace, and seems to be fine in my droplight.
    Granted I have only been using them for past year, but use it often and still on first bulb I installed.

11. Slopok

Slopok

No heat or anymore melted carpets!:eek:

12. led lights are the way to go, IMHO I took a $20 led 4ft shop light, a pc of 1x4" 3ft long scrap wood, 4 wheels from harbor freight, tow heavy duty zip ties and now I have a killer roll around 4ft led light that lights up the underside of a car light day light. The rechargeable under hood clip on lights are killer too! My house and shop have all LED lighting, only way to roll, IMHO

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have a small fluorescent drop light I still use some, but I find myself using a couple of small LED lights more and more. Easy to get into tight places, no cords, and no risk of a explosion if you drop one in a puddle of gas.

14. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

If you go to some of the larger swap meets or car shows they always have the guy hawking LED Drop Lights by throwing them on the concrete in front of you then reeling it back in. Probably throws it on the ground hundreds of times. They sell just the bulbs for the drop light or you can buy the whole think. I use the battery powered portable lights they are bright, don’t use a lot of batteries and you don’t have to mess with a cord. Do a google search or amazon search for drop lights.

15. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I’ve been using led battery type for several years. I buy about 1 each year, they keep getting better. Biggest problem is the battery runs down just when I’m counting on it the most.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The LED bulbs I buy at Lowes are plastic and wont break easy at all.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You have to ask for the 'penetrating LEDs'.