Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Rose Parade Route Cruise TODAY!***PHOTOS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, Jan 1, 2012.

1. I've been called worse....

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Might have been a different crash.
    Boyd Marshal owned the Falcon. He was in way over his head with this one.
    He side-stepped the clutch right in front of Bob's and right away veered into the westbound lanes and hit a VW headon. Everyone was OK, but what a scene.
    The dragster on the blvd. is a story I never heard.
    So, did it have a self starter? I can't imagine they push-started it.
    Also, with the police presence, well....it would have come to an end in a big hurry.
    I quit cruising the parade route at night in the late 60's. It would take about two hours to get from one end to the other and as the night wore on the crowds would get a bit more tipsy and unpredictable. Not a place you want to be when there's no "escape route". You didn't need some drunk guy hitching a ride on your running board.

Some of these stories are interesting but without any details they are hard to believe.
    If everyone I had heard that said that they were at Lions Drag Strip on the final night of racing or were there when Garlits had his explosion at Lions, there would have been 2 million people in the stands that night.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As far as the funny car showing up at the street races on Cresnshaw, I was there for that. A few years ago I was telling that story and one guy who's a muscle car bigshot in the San Gabriel Valley here said "Yeah, I was there".
    Well, I didn't want to embarrass him, but i thought...."no, no you weren't, you lying sack of shit".
    There was only about ten people there that night, and NO, he wasn't there. I knew him way back then so I would have remembered.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Doug,Bob and others who took pix of the day, THANK YOU! It would be hard to describe the day without your capturing of a moment in time. You're great friends and I enjoy seeing and watching you record history,especially when you are doing all of this on your own dime. You guys are GREAT!

Doug,
    Love the story of the Days of The Drive-In @ Bob's across from Fedco=now Target. Lots of street racing going on then till they closed that location in the late 80's. I seem to remember it being on Thursday nights though??? Very sad when they tore down the 50's original, built the Chula Vista Styled unit then dozed that for a business that can't stay in there.

Sad that Funkhauser decided to close the only Bob's in Pasadena 2 weeks back,perhaps he should have put it in East Pas near the original, then all of the equipment,booths and everything else could be saved.

4. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

[QUOTE.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Safari windows straight up...I love it ! ! ! That is one RAD transporter Jim.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. Good seeing you too,Kevin. I still about 90-100 pic's to post,when I get home....

6. VINTAGETRANSAM

VINTAGETRANSAM
    from SFV

Another great cruise! Could not have asked for better weather. Got back to the Corner Bakery for lunch then another pass down the blvd. then off to Mulholland Hwy. to go through the canyons by the Rock Store. Final stop at Neptune's Net for a snack then back through the canyons on Mulholland hwy. and stopped at the "Sweeper" turn to watch the sun set. What a great day to drive the Mustang!

Kirby

"If it's under control your not going fast enough"
    Parnelli Jones 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Trans-am

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Could have happened...guys did run some crazy stuff, expecially on New Year's Eve...was at the Powerine next to Bob's Big Boy, NYE '61, when some guys pulled in with a '34 sedan, Olds, 6-97's on nitro...fired it up, got the Temple City Sheriff's attention, and we all got busted, me for the high crime of being out after curfew...

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw Joe Fig's Merc parked at the curb...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. These guys were from the Military Museum in El Monte...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Looks like fun, need to be there next year

13. My photobucket account was messed up so I couldn't finish postin my pic's. I have about 40 more.
    YES! You must come next year!!!

14. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

To those who asked about my yellow micro truck (with Mighty Mouse on the nose): it's a '66 Subaru 360 pickup. I was looking for a drag that day but I guess everyone was scared of my stock 356 cc (two cylinder, two stroke.)

15. billys54

billys54

16. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out that badass Bowden and the High-wheeler in the back!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Thanks for all of these great pics, and the effort of posting them, Bad Bob!

This batch have a real 'point and click' quality.....Your usual photos are so precise and well-taken,......these look like you were just having too much fun, and seeing too much cool stuff to concentrate....and I love it!!!

With the amount of shows you go to, and the quality of cars you see every week, it's great to be able to 'ride along' with your teenage-like enthusiasm!!

"Look at that!.....Over there!!!......oh, and that one!!!......and....."

You're documenting the actual vibe of a point in time.

Thank You

20. That's exactly correct! haha I was hanging out the window and shooting,then sitting on the side of the street shooting eveything that drove by. If you notice,some of them I couldn't get my camera out fast enough. There were SOOO many cars cruising....

21. [​IMG]

Notice JustplainJ enjoying the show...
    [​IMG]

What starts with an F...ends with a K...has a U and a C in the middle? FIRETRUCK!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Gasser was really bitchin,except for the gear-drive!
    [​IMG]

22. How about a few BOMBS!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

The cry baby doll does look real "lol" but i cant take my eyes off that Plymouth. Man that coupe looks good!

24. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. bonesy

bonesy

JustPlainJ's VW is as cool as his hot rod. Man I love it.

26. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

That Plymouth belongs to Eddie from Monrovia pretty nice ride