Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rookie mistakes: 53 Plymouth wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Screamin J Pito, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

So I had found this wagon on ebay bout 5 n half years ago and knew I had to have it. So I went about trying to sell the 66 Galaxie I had at the time. Took me about a year. When I finally sold it I called the guy with the wagon and he STILL had it!! Told him I'd be there the next day with cash and a tow truck. He tells me "yeah it ran until a buddy messed with it but now it wont fire, just turns over". Well, the day I bought it just happened to be April 1st...joke was on me. Not only did it not turn over but was stuck. And I mean stuck! pulled the head and took a wooden dowel to the pistons...nothing. Over the past 4 or so years I've pondered, dreamed, collected, sold and drooled over parts and ideas. I have finally started and still don't exactly where I'm headed but have a damn good idea. This is my first build and I will try to include as many good pictures as I can at every step. I promise to screw something up. I promise to listen and learn. I promise at least one drunken post threatening to sell the damn thing. And I promise to struggle with posting pics till I get the hang of it. So, here we go...

The first few show what it looked like when I brought it into the shop. The last couple show how it sits as of a week ago. By now I have all the glass and dash out. From here I drop the gas tank, pull the doors, rear "hatch" and lift gate. Then, if all goes well, I can blast it to find any other hidden rust!

Attached Files:

2. lehr

lehr

Cool car !

Pat

3. cool,good luck with the build.

4. Boy, you are a rookie - otherwise you would have promised at least several drunken posts threatening to sell the damn thing!! :D

Neat wagon - love the early long-roofs

5. robleticia

robleticia

Cool car, its gonna be killer!

6. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

WoW ! That's in great shape. My frame was rusted out and my floors......wel what floors. I think you got a great car to work with.

7. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Cool car and have fun with it! What are your plans?

Looks like a nice shop to work in too...

8. sololobo

sololobo

Hey man, great looking Plymouth Suburban, cool 2-door style. It sounds like the old b.s. line, ran when I parked it! Good luck with the project. I have a 56 2-door that is sitting for me to hit the lottery to get it going. You can do it!, Good luck bro. ~Sololobo~

Attached Files:

9. greazy john

greazy john

cool car looks to be in great shape so far ...just take your time and do it justice..

GREAZY

10. missysdad1

missysdad1

There's a thread on here featuring a Plymouth wagon like yours which features a very clean MoPar 318/auto swap. I did one the same way years ago and it works excellent!

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I've got a way cool 318 poly with manual bell housing and clutch just right for that car that runs great.....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  12. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Thanks guys! I'm stoked to finally be working on it!

Daddy O: I like to under promise and over deliver! Im sure there will be more than a few drunken postings!

cowboy1: I am lucky, theres not much rust at all. Well see after it gets blasted though.

sololobo: Dude that 56 will be sweet!! Love that bodystyle. Whats it got for power?

missysad1 & povertyflats: I though about goin that route but im up in the air.

(not sure how to do one of them "multi-quate" deals yet)

Ok so the plan...

Pull the body off the frame, blast it, and fix everything. Afew body mods but mostly just want to clean it up a bit, you know, align all the gaps, smooth some things up n stuff. I think I'm gonna just stick with the original flathead and three speed (anybody know how I can tell if it's an overdrive?). Rebuild the original suspension with some lowering blocks in the rear, cut a few coils up front and probably some discs up front. Basically a clean mild custom that will be a daily driver. I know its going to be slow going and I'll probably hear how getting this deep on my first build is a mistake but I'll never learn if I don't dive in!

13. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Also, as far as the trans goes, if mine isn't an overdrive an I addapt one? The motor/trans are the only thing I'm not sure on. Thought about getting an addapter from wilcap for a different trans but then I'd have to swap rears and so on. Id like to stay away from any major chassis mods. I can kinda-sorta weld sheet metal but I'm not so comfortable doing structural stuff yet.

14. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

Cool old plym. stay focused as I have not and my 47plym sits in the backyard waiting to be something cool someday.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool car should be a fun ride when you get it back to driveable ,

16. how to tell if your car has an overdrive three speed?----

the trans tail will have a governor and solenoid on it, regular three speed do not.

There will be a chrome T handle hanging from the bottom of the dash labled "overdrive"

there will be an electric kickdown switch under the gas pedal or on the throttle linkage

easy way to tell chrysler flathead sixes--measure cyl head length--25 inches= chrysler/desoto....23 inches = plymouth/ dodge.

on the plymouth/dodge, 4 flywheel bolts =218, 8 flywheel bolts = 230

17. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

"Daddy O: I like to under promise and over deliver! Im sure there will be more than a few drunken postings!"

In an effort to save time I will respond now" OK I give ya $50.00 bucks" Now you say " I hate this thing,come on over before I make it a blazer" Now that that is setttled give me you address I'll be right over with the cash!!

Nice ride, when it gets bad....just hide the hammers :)

18. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Thanks man! The car was complete when I got it and didnt have anything that said over drive. Lame.

Haha hide the hammers, the torch, the dog and the whiskey! But pull out the camera...

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

2 door wagon = coolness.

20. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

So since the car doesnt already have overdrive, in theory, I can find one that does and addapt it right? Cause if not I guess I'll have to spend the $$ and rebuild the Hemi. Then find a trans for it. Then find a read end....I dont want to do that. Ive got plans for the Hemi!

21. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

The 2 door wagons are way cool, Can't wait to see your build. Good luck

22. That's a cool car and a nice project. Can't wait to see some build pics. I think it was Rod & Custom or Street Rodder that did a series of articles on a wagon like this several years back. Engine swap, brakes, etc.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very cool body style/lines-watch for rust around roof and tailgate-all projects seem easy in the beginning-just keep things moving, no matter how slowly

24. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

So far it's just in the floor and tailgate. Crossin my fingers that it. The guy I rent shop space from has a media blaster and just told me tonight he's got a soda blaster on the way! So rad!

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The Od transmissions for those are getting scarce and a bit expensive around 1200 for one in good working condition. Easier was to deal with reducing engine rpms is to swap in a later rear end of 3.55 ratio or so. Lotsa sources, Mopar B bodies Jeep cherokees, Ford rangers, etc. Will need to relocate spring perches and mod the drive shaft but not a to much work and less tha the OD. But if you can find an OD they were basically in 50 to 54 cars. they are a bolt in plus the cable and wiring, and do work slick. Another option is a five speed there are a couple guys making adapters. Again drive shaft work will be needed, and work on the e brake will be needed as the stock one is on the tail of the tranny.

Lots of good reading about your car on the P15 D24 sites, parts vendors tech info etc.

Those are starting to be quite a popular body syle to have. they are pretty unique.

26. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

I've tossed around the idea. I've got a 72 duster I picked as a parts car I was going to rob the 340/4 speed an the 8 3/4 rear but decided to keep the duster (it's a sickness). I just wanted to stay away from major chassis mods but if I have to go that far into it I'll just take the extra time, sell a kidney and built the 392 sittin in the corner! THAT would be a shame! For real though, I'll be keeping my eyes out for an OD.

27. hkestes

hkestes

You can luck into the OD if you are patient and don't have to have it right now.

I found mine on EBay in the Denver area. Guy had a 54 Suburban he had been driving until he broke a piston, decided to buy a wrecked Ram and use the Hemi in his wagon. His pictures he put on EBay were real dark and you could just barely make out the solenoid on the side of the transmission. Nobody bid on the complete drivetrain. I called him and he confirmed it was an OD asked what he would take for the transmission and he said I would have to take the engine as well but that $225 would cover it.

Sent him a paypal that night, scheduled a business trip to Denver, rented a PU and hauled the engine/trans back to Dallas. Bolted the OD in my 48 Plymouth and have been driving it for the past 2 years with no problems.

Sold the manifolds, head, generator, starter and some other small parts for about 2X what I paid him.

28. 61 chevy

61 chevy

very cool car, get rid of the green wheel

29. Hey screamin get your move done and get back on that Mopar . What have you got planned ? I am sure that you have some direction !!!! Later , Andy...

30. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Hey Andy, move is over now I just have to wait till February when I'll start getting off work at 4:30. Early off gets me lots of time in the shop! Hopefully I'll make some progress worth posting in the next couple weeks! As far as plans, stock running gear (gonna hold out for an OD trans), a few body mods, shiny stuff on the outside and clean stuff inside.