Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roof Insert

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jan 4, 2020.

1. trvguy

trvguy

I ussed a Dodge Minivan roof on my 32Ford, nice compound curves. Nice fit

loudbang likes this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nobody has mentioned it so I will. Be forewarned, it will get a lot LOUDER inside. Right now, a lot of noises are exiting the open top and going away, you put the top on ad all those noises are going to bounce right back down at you. Especially is you have loud exhaust (lakes headers!), but every little noise that is generated is going to be reflected back down at you.

I built the insert for my A pickup to be removable. The original roof bows were in the car, providing the basic shape, I used a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood and cut it to size using a pattern I made out of poster board. Then, to minimize the reflected sound waves I filled the ply with holes. Then covered it with batting and vinyl. I can remove the insert in about 3 minutes if I want to go with the top open, but to be honest, that is very rare (never?). When I eventually redo it I'll make it permanent instead of removable.

IMG_7675b.JPG IMG_7679.JPG IMG_7697.JPG

3. unfinished

unfinished

Man I wish ya had not brought up Vista Cruiser.....yet another car I lost in a broken relationship!!! Lotta fun and I miss that ole wagon!!! Can't say as much about the lost love....

loudbang likes this.
  4. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

In addition to what these guys said, I also like the '57-'59 Ford roofs, they have inverted ribs that look good. '64 Darts have a cool pattern of ribs, grouped to the outsides.

Another cool idea, is a dzus fastened insert full of louvers!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

6. AmishMike

AmishMike

Not trying to sell the idea but a suggestion for your consideration. No pics but saw a coupe with plexiglass roof insert ( tinted yellow). Thought kind of neat idea. Sun would roast the inside but could also make removable for open air cruise or wedge open at rear. Not sure how would make rain/drip proof & suspect some steal cross pieces to support sides & insert. As a roadster guy will not be trying but you might think about it. With treated wood frame attached to plexi & slight tint to match paint on car might be pretty nice

7. blazedogs

blazedogs

I welded in a steel roof insert not too long ago and it was a nightmare.A lot of work , easy to make a mistake , warp age when welding, getting the right contour and fit, body filler work blending in etc . Never again Would now chose a different route than a steel roof insert My 2 cents.. Gene

8. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I used a piece of 1/8" lauan plywood for the top in my 32. A thin piece of padding and then the original type grained vinyl. I painted the lauan a nice semi gloss black and it looks really nice from the inside.

39045715_2133019950358692_7074580747406802944_n.jpg

-Brent-, Tman, RICH B and 7 others like this.
  9. blazedogs

blazedogs

A much better way to go and a fabric top matches the era of the car & looks great...

kb9jlo, loudbang and TagMan like this.
  10. McFly

McFly

Do you have any detail shots of the track/trim holding down the vinyl?

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  11. 31choppedtopcoupe

31choppedtopcoupe
    from Ohio

Any interior pics of that insert?

12. Lexan and it will have a "moon roof". Believe it or not when I was little I saw a few show cars at a place called "The Cow Palace" with roofs filled that way (would have been plexi glass back then).

13. I did the same as @sloppy jalopies and found an '86 Toyota minivan :confused: matched my A Tudor perfectly. I'm gonna cover it with vinyl later.

More details here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-6-steel-roof-covered-by-stock-vinyl.636247/

Roof 01.JPG Roof 02.JPG Roof 10.JPG Roof 11.JPG Roof 13.JPG

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes. Note the oak blocks are to hold the insert in place. That was part of the removable aspect of the top. I originally wanted it to be removable. Turns out I don't remove it, it's just too nice having a roof overhead. So, if/when I redo it I'll get rid of those and use something far less noticeable. Otherwise it look like the original style insert at first glance, chicken wire and batting. IMG_7688.JPG

15. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

I like how it looks man
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  16. 32 hudson

32 hudson

A lot of good information , suggestions and photos in this thread. Where do I get the trim welting or rubber strip to finish off the edge ? I would like it to fit close and not stick up much. I am not a fan of the Juliano's aluminum strip.

17. cfmvw

cfmvw

If you check out the European Deuce Thread, there are a number of cars that were set up with a ragtop sunroof instead of an insert. Maybe you could graft in a VW Bus ragtop sunroof?

18. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

I like the idea of using wood bows similar to original, then making a vinyl top that snaps on and off...but thats just me.

19. 31choppedtopcoupe

31choppedtopcoupe
    from Ohio

Looks good buddy. I think I’m gonna copy it for my ‘31.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app