Register now to get rid of these ads!

History RON SWEENEY'S..........SEABURST

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Austinrod, Apr 24, 2017.

1. As long as they are the "OE" style (not dual pattern) they will look good. As far as one brand over another, I'm not much help there....
    @Moriarity , do you have a recommendation on chrome reverse wheels?

Austinrod and rodncustomdreams like this.
  2. Of course if you want that tapered lip then you have to have them made from vintage Buick wheels. That would be the top choice.

Austinrod and Moriarity like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Sancho is correct on this. Rally America used to make tapered rim chrome wheels but I believe they no longer do. I have used wheels by Wheels of steel in Visalia Ca. they are no longer in business (quality was first rate but lead times were extremely long) My corvette has a set from wheel vintiques. they are good quality but are std offset so there was no waiting period. the have to custom build all the reversed wheels and I have no experience with their lead times.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. For my taste on that specific Ford they must be early style centers with the 4 windows where the center meets the Hoop as well as the 3 large hubcap nubs on the center. Just as Moriarity's rims are. That's the period correct Chrome wheel. Anything else takes on the look of the Cheep Appliance brand wheel. Dual bolt pattern wheels are just plain wrong. I don't know of anyone still making them. This may come down to doing them yourself. The hard part today is finding a good Chrome shop.
    The Wizzard

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mine on the vette are wheel vintiques. they still make em. you can buy em at summit racing. reversed offsets are custom order. they can do it, it just takes longer. 3 hubcap ribs and 4 windows just like the old days

6. Thanks, I just pulled up there web sight and book marked it.
    The Wizzard

Austinrod, Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  7. Tru-spoke makes them too. 3 cap nubs but I don't think they have the windows. At least the picture they have on their site doesn't appear to.

8. I looked again at the photos on the Tru-spoke site and found these two photos. Looks like the standard offset has the windows, their photo of the reversed wheels doesn't look like it does.

OEMChrome.jpg
    OEM-Chrome-Reverse-Spider-C.jpg

9. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

10. Looks ok with the hub caps. Really like the roof and chop. Neat car.

Austinrod likes this.
  11. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Spotlite Book 546 Custom Fords
    [​IMG]

Sent from Austinrod

12. I can dig the windowed chromie thing. I'd keep the wires too. Really dig yer car, he really got it right with the quad lamps up front, '58 style. I like '58 Ford a lot, but this '7 just plain rules with understated cool. I'm gunna dig out those old Car Crafts, they're here somewhere..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Austinrod likes this.
  13. Bad ass car, and story! When will it be delivered?

Austinrod likes this.
  14. Fantastic car, congrats!
    Good choice on the chrome reverse wheels, they will look perfect. (But I must admit that I generally hate wire wheels on customs.)

Do you know more about that Von Hunter guy? I googled him but found nothing. Is he still alive?

Austinrod likes this.
  15. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

That is not Von Hunter, it's Phil Shaffer, who worked with Von .

16. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Here is another of it from 2013 LSRU
    LSRU13-0536_7_8-6.jpg

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I thought I saw that car before, here it is at Goodguys Pleasanton in 2014. there was no show sign, I did not know any history. I'd like to see pics from before it was redone.

IMG_2068.JPG IMG_2069.JPG

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been a fan of that car good to see it got a good home. I thought I had more recent photos of it but the only ones I found were from the 2009 Portland roadster show and they were taken with a point and shoot in bad light.

Austinrod and Sancho like this.
  19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The best '57 Ford of all time! I got to see it at LSRU and I was blown away. My eye was drawn to it all day.

I thought the Chrysler wires looked great on it. They give it a late '50s vibe where the chrome steel wheels and mags take it into the early/mid '60s. It wears them all well.

Congratulations on scoring such a cool car with a rich history!

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but, I hope not. She's pretty classy with just the wheel change!

lurker mick likes this.
  21. F,Y,I, Schaffer is still doing custom paint in Oregon City. Just seen him a few months back.

Sancho and Austinrod like this.
  22. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Won its Class at the 2010 GNRS with strong competition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from Austinrod

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    stanlow69 and Sancho like this.
  23. Jim already asked but I'll ask again: Do you have any definite show plans for it?

I'd like to see it in person some day.

54delray, stanlow69 and Austinrod like this.
  24. Got to feel good to finally have it in your possession!
    I know I'd be stoked, hell I'd probably spend all night out there going over it.....

OG lil E and Austinrod like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

We mean outdoor shows like the KKOA show in Salina or the Custom Car Revival in early June. It might be to soon to attend that one.

OG lil E, Austinrod and Sancho like this.
  26. I'd like to see it in Salina!

OG lil E, Austinrod and stanlow69 like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^ that's a great looking car. I say keep the hood closed at shows. I like to take a lot of pictures, I have walked by many a cool car with the hood, doors or trunk open since it makes for a crummy photo.

54delray, verde742, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  28. Agreed! No matter how nice the engine compartment is, the hood (doors and trunk too) should stay closed on a kustom. Otherwise it just throws off the lines/profile.

29. Great looking car! I'm glad you finally have it in your possession. How's it drive?

Austinrod likes this.
  30. Colin HD

Colin HD

Looking good!
    Think you should run the old school Lucas Flamethrower headlights.

Sancho and Austinrod like this.