Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ron Hings custom 56 Chevy convert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Yep, the real deal from back in the day. Note there's also no 'safety bead'. And looks like they used pre-'55 Chev centers as there's no hubcap 'bumps'.

2. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark is the right owner for this car. Congrats on adding it to your stable,

54delray and Moriarity like this.
  3. Usually..not always..but usually I don't like canted quad headlights. Lots of cars with them missed the mark...

Your 3 examples are probably the best looking I've seen. Real cool for all of them to be together in your collection.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That Chevy is bad ass! You have one in every color :D

5. congrats ! , I was looking that over on BaT... So cool... do you have any history on it ? sorry if someone has already asked and I didn't see the reply @Moriarity

54delray, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  6. It's all been said..just adding to it.
    Congratulations.

Moriarity likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The car was bought new by Ron Hing of Portland Oregon. It got customized in stages with the tail lights coming before the front end work. The final bodywork and front end work and orig paint were done by Ray Wilson of Madam Fifi fame. Ray also did the body and paint on the miss elegance 55 that I own, Rons car graced the cover of Popular customs magazine in feb 66. It was a very successful show car in the PNW back in the day. I believe it was about 20 years ago that Ron sold it after long term storage. that is when the color got changed to the current Tangerine pearl. I am pretty happy that that is the only change that was made popular.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hyptnotic!! Mark thanks for saving the canted quad Chevy customs!

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fin-to taillight profile is perfect. Sometimes they end up looking a little droopy.

[​IMG]

10. I see where I rate.

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

dammit... sorry I was out of town when you were here....

12. LOL! I'm just ribbing ya!

54delray and Moriarity like this.
  13. kvwberg

kvwberg

14. Just now seeing this. Super awesome Mark! Bummer something has to go ultimately to make room. Add my vote to the unused kitchen having to go instead of a car. Who cares about home resale without a kitchen? Won't be your problem anyhow. ;) Of course, the boat could always come here...even though I'd either be too scared to run it on our lake during the day or hack off the all the other residents running it early in the morning. LOL

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A little background on Ray Wilson. Scan0708.jpg Scan0709.jpg

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

17. I too am just now seeing this post Mark. CONGRATS! Your taste in customs matches mine perfectly.. Perhaps relating back to the optional custom pieces in the the old AMT 3 in 1 kits as well as that style being the ultimate in the mags and shows of the day. I love this one too (orange suits it and probably replaces some aged and cracked lacquer?)! Please, before the snow flies.. a pic of all three together??

-Dave

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the car is being picked up at the end of the week and should be here before mid next week, I can't wait to see it!! I will try to get a pic posted of all 3 together, should be pretty cool....

54delray, VANDENPLAS, SS327 and 12 others like this.
  19. hotdamn

hotdamn

man this rules! congrats :)

Moriarity likes this.
  20. That will be epic! Im gonna have to start a collection to somehow get Taboo back to CCR or something else to get them all together at some point.

54delray, Baumi, VANDENPLAS and 8 others like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that would be cool, but I can only bring one to CCR at a time!!!

22. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See, that is why adoption is your answer. All the help cleaning and you can take a couple of cars to the show.
    The offer for adoption is still available and you get a V8 Corvair in the bargain

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

You were making good headway until you mentioned the V8 Corvair. :eek::D:D:D:D

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I had a crown conversion V8 65 corvair about 25 years ago. It had a 327 350hp in the back seat. Man that car was a blast to drive 8F79A873-2097-4377-A8BE-FB9749EF006F.jpeg 62685102-32F1-4753-AFB6-1FD68A5C6EDB.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  25. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I only have 3 words to describe that car: Spec-tac-ular!

26. Thank you ! @Moriarity ... I love reading about these old customs... cant wait to see a picture of the canted headlight trio !

27. That looks fun ! I'm sure it was a handful with that combo.. Ralph Nader would have been even more up in arms.. Unsafe at any Speed..:D

SS327, Moriarity, hrm2k and 1 other person like this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only saw two. I hope for @Moriarity's sake there are two more on the other side ;). Nice score, Mark.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  29. That thing is KILLER! Heck I thought I was a KUSTOM guy now because my decklid is shaved.. haha.. If I even come within a hunnert miles of Mound, MN I'm stopping in... you have been warned.

30. raaf

raaf

...that's gonna be a lot of headlights.