Register now to get rid of these ads!

rolls/bentley speedster on ebay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h2omonkey, Aug 17, 2012.

1. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

2. Weasel

Weasel

Sorry - looks like a kit car to me - you can do much better than that for a lot less money - buy a MkVI Bentley cheap as a basis and then do it your own way....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. Weasel

Weasel

Something more like this....

[​IMG]

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Weasel, that is much nicer. Bob

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Or, buy a seventies V8 Rolls and use it to build a 36 Auburn speedster kit, suitably modified with the Rolls grille, engine, suspension etc.

I have seen unbuilt Auburn kits for under $5000 and old Rolls for $5000 to $6000.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

How is that a kit car?

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I see Rolls or Bentley parts, but the car isn't all Rolls/Bentley, and it doesn't look right for the period.

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's not a kit car Weasel, it's in my neighborhood, the guy built it from scratch, it's an astounding piece of work. He came down my driveway one day because he saw me working on my hot rod, he's a car guy through and through. We chatted for a long time.

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's hand built, it's not supposed to be a replica of anything that existed, it's its own car and pics don't do justice to it, the work in the car is astounding and meticulous, if I had 160K burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy it.

10. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

This car is a "real" Bentley, made by Mr. Bentley. When Rolls-Royce took over Bentley in the '30s the cars changed. They got hot rod versions of the "small" Rolls-Royce engine, like the engine in the e-bay car..

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I agree it looks like a kit car, poor styling but nice work gone into it.

Here's one I made earlier... Its a Bentley MKV1 special.

[​IMG]

I don't think you will find MKV1 Bentley's are very cheap these days, even project cars. Pretty costly here in the UK at least

I made just about every part of this special from the chassis mods to make it look more like a vintage Bentley to the scratch built body to the screen and the petrol tank, There is some footage of this car being driven on my youtube footage.

David

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The guy built it in the 50's. How can it not look period or do you mean todays version of what period was? Speedsters were cars that guys built and drove or raced. The factories built a few, but I believe most were done by independents.

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If you are saying that some individual cobbled the car together out of whatever he saw fit, I agree. There are many one-off Rolls and Bentley cars, but those are normally built using a production or near production chassis, with whatever body the customer wants, including speedsters and roadsters. This one is basically a hot rod. Unless it was built by someone everyone thinks is cool it's worth a lot less than the ones I described.

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Its a 1950s chassis, it was not built in the fifties. More like eighties by the look of it.

David

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's not cobbled together, its body is hand beaten out of steel, the fenders are aluminum, the drivetrain is Rolls Royce, I wish you could see the car in person, it is really special.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I believe it was built about 15 years ago.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. It still qualifys as 50's speedster in my books. Reading the details, it's probably worth what the guys asking.

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sorry but that is not a 'real' vintage Bentley either, its probably a MK six (late forties and fifties) Like the one I posted above.

David

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Looking at it again its possible an earlier chassis but not a vintage Bentley.

David

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've always liked the looks of a 3 or 4 1/2 litre Bentley, so do a lot of other people. Even the originals have been heavily hot rodded over the years, so knowing what is "Original" and "correct" takes a a true expert. Bob

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's some pictures I took of the "special" in my driveway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. I really should be fixing Toro lawnmowers, at work, but this is more exciting. Nads and I were working on the Elky and up the driveway rolls this Clark Gable-esque dude with hot older lady in tow(natch)

We almost couldn't beleive our eyes. was the cooliest thing we had seen since like Amelia Island. AND he drives the wheels off it. Says people almost crash driving next to him, so doesn't take it out much.

True Hot Rod in every sense of the word. Time to head to 7-11 for a lottery ticket.

JT

23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

It looks better in those photos but its still a bit OTT. Like I said nice work but slightly suspect styling but it is what it is. I am sure he will get the money, thats the sort of money Bentley specials fetch here. Some fetch a lot more.

David

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

By "cobbled" I don't mean it's junk. In the fabrication/prototype world cobbled means put together with modified or adapted parts rather than everything being made from scratch. To one degree or another all hot rods are "cobbled" together.

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It is OTT, for sure, but I myself love cars, all kinds, except r*t rods. I just thought I'd chime in because I know the car.

26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

God! nice driveway Nads! (just noticed)

David

27. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Well..... it would have been possible to build a '72 Monte Carlo in 1948, but it didn't happen. In the '50s Bentleys could have built cars like this, but they didn't. For a number of years I was the foreman in a shop that specialized in vintage Rolls and Bentley cars. I don't know everything, but I know this car is not built as a Bentley would have done, or as a body company would have built. Per my other posts, and per what you say, the car is an amateur build. As a result it doesn't look right for the period, instead it looks like what it is.

28. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

I love the dark wood panels, reminds me of a true boat.

29. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

Hey Nads, if that is your driveway, I want to come live with you!

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gotta love the Bently/Rolls snobs picking on a Bently/Rolls HOT ROD in a hot rod forum.

it does have that "kit car" look about it, I'd be looking for the VW peashooter exhaust out back if I came up on it out on the road.