Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roller rockers and stock valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billy the kid, May 29, 2006.

1. Is it possible without spacers?

I want to run either stock 283 or 327 valve covers. Or Cal Custom finned jobs or old Vette covers.

Those are the only covers I would ever run on any small block. If I have to I will change the rockers and the cam.

2. Tony

Tony

If you can find a set of Cal Custom covers that are the taller style with more fins, they will clear rollers. The only drawback to these covers are they have holes in them..

I was going to run the vette covers on my 57, but like you i'm running full rollers on my mill and they were nowhere close to clearing. I had a set of the Cal Custom's i mentioned above laying around and they clear with about 1/8 clearence between the baffle and the polly lock..
    If i didn't have these laying around, i'd probably spring for the spacers even though i'm not crazy about em..

Tony

3. The new Edelbrock finned covers are tall enough.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...it depends on the type of roller rocker you have. Here I'm using Comp Cams Magnum roller rockers with screw-in studs and guide plates with poly-locs. I had to put double gaskets on the valve covers to clear everything, but it works. If I left off the poly-locs and ran stock nuts, I wouldn't have to run double gaskets. You can't run Crane racing-type roller rockers with Cal Custom valve covers unless you use a spacer.

Attached Files:

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What's wrong with the spacers?

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

heh,sure you can. as long as you are running dart heads! (the valve cover lip is raised 1/4 inch.)
    run the spacers and make bigger power. form over function is for high heeled shoes,not hotrods.

7. Mike

Mike

I ran a set of finned aluminum Corvette covers on my 327 w/ roller rockers. I used two sets of cork gaskets and I had no problem with clearence.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...they're kinda ugly, and stick out like a sore thumb...

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Even if you paint 'em to match the head?

10. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

Trickflow has someheads with raised lip too............

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

This is what I'm running as well. Using the nuts that came with the rockers. But these are roller tip only.

Josh