Register now to get rid of these ads!

rolled the dodge out today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickles street chop shop, Sep 30, 2007.

1. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

iv had the front all torn apart so that i can clean up the frame. i spent yesterday getting the suspension put together o i can roll it out today for a washin, a few pictures and the clean the garage.

i asked yall about the POR-15 stuff. well, i ordered some of it and its great stuff. i just need to keep chuggin and get the rest of it all cleaned up, so i can drop the engine dropped in...when i get it finished up.

for those of yall that have ax'ed me for a full parts list and pictures of my hemi build, ill make a new thread for it. but here is a few pictures of what i have been up to lately.

cheers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put the pistons in tomorrow before i go to school, and put the heads and lifters in. so its getting there.

[​IMG]

i hope everyone else had a good weekend.

2. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

any of yall know of how to prime this engine with oil?

3. GrantH

GrantH

no idea on dodges but they sell primers for fords/chevys....

4. 40chev

40chev

If you have an old distributor you can pull all the guts out of the dist....Not real familiar with the early iron but if the dist has a gear on it take that off also, drop the dist in until it slips in the oil pump shaft and use a good heavy drill clamped on the top of the dist shaft to turn the oil pump...Or take a piece of 3/8" steel rod and make an oil pump primer rod...

this is how I have done SBF, SBC, big and small block Mopars

5. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

thats what i was thinking. iv help my grandpa biuld some of our race engines which were chevy 350's. we have one of those oil primer shafts. made it real easy. ill look at the dist. this evening.

thanks yall

6. That won't work on this MoPar:rolleyes:.

Like most other MoPar engines, the intermediate shaft connects the distributor and the oil pump - and has the gear pinned on to it... removing the "gear" (and shaft its pinned to) from the engine leaves several inches of gap between the distributor and the oil pump.:rolleyes:

What I did - I took an old intermediate shaft, ground the teeth completely off the gear, and placed that in the engine. I turn it with a speed handle (with a tight-fitting flat screwdriver "socket"). By cranking it by hand, you will FEEL the instant oil pressure comes up.

Remember that when you reinstall the intermediate shaft, bring cyl #1 to TDC and the shaft's slot should be parallel with the camshaft when the gear is all of the way down. If you don't do this, it goofs the spark plug wire positions and/or distributor position when properly timed.

7. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

oh ok, cool. ill take a look at it tomorrow. would you also, by chance, have a segestion on what ignition i should look at to get away from the points?

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I just put all of the new parts for my dizzy in my 53. Cap, rotor, coil, condencer, points and plugs. The thing fires beter than my wifes new car and runs like a top. If you keep up with them you shouldn't have a problem.

If you must get rid of you points go with the Pertronix Ignotor II

9. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

Hot Heads has a "tool" to prime it, but all it is, is a long round bar with a notch cut at one end. You remove the intermediate, as said it engages the cam. However, you then have to get the gear back in where you want it, and engaged with the oil pump, easier said than done.

I have heard of people using a pressure oiler to pump the oil through after hooking into where the pressure gauge hooks. If you can get one I'd suggest that, then no screwing around with getting the gear to point where you want.

What year is that coronet? I'm working on a 54 4 door with the 241 myself.

10. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

i found an old oil pump shaft that i can put down in there and prime it with.

i have the same dodge you do, with the powerflite transmition. do you have that, or the three speed? show some pictures of it, i want to see what it looks like. i always mess it up but 53dodgekustom(or 53kustomdodge) has a 53 medowbrook with the flat six and three on the tree. he's turned it into a real looker.

11. 40chev

40chev

Your absolutley right, I completely forgot about the intermediate shaft haveing the gear on big blocks......Now that I think back I think I just used a long rod to fit into the oil pump.....I hate getting old, like they say, the mind is the first to go....

12. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

I have a my build on a hotrodders.com journal. It does have the powerflite.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=13590

My upgrades mods so far.

Removed most side trim.
    Switched to hanging brakes
    12v w/ itsasnap harness
    70's mopar alternator
    EI FYI small block ei from mancini racing was a drop-in for my 241
    sanderson headers (this is a pain in the but had to lift engine 2" to accommodate them. this took floorpan mods, among many other issues.)

13. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

looks good man. its really blue. are you going to stay with the drums all around? i went to disks in the front all bolt on for like $600. it was worth it.

14. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Dang nickels looking good.

I like the Gold. How much $$$ do you have in the engine? (if you don't mind me asking.)

I almost picked up a 54 with a 241 in it the other day. It was even a 2-door, I was going to convert mine. Was also thinking of building the HEMI. Total rust bucket, had been sitting since 69. Someone bought it though.

I am thinking of dropping a poly motor in mine. (single rocker shaft version of the HEMI) It would be cheaper than building a HEMI.

15. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

i was going to do a post with a the whole parts list and what not. but iv got about $2500 off the top of my head. a family friend wayne calbert owns a shop off of I-35 in denton tx, he did all the machine work so i got a goooood deal with him. the biggest problem so far was just getting the cam situation. im about a month maybe two from startin' that sumbitch up.

16. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

i forgot,

i got the gold i dea from slopyseconds and his A build. i just thought it was badass. i axed him if it would bother him if i used the gold idea, but he didnt seem to mind.

my hemi is rated at 222 foot pouds stock, and only 150 hp. its not a monster by any means, but i thinks its cool. the only thing not stock on the engine is that its bored over 0.030 and it has a high lift cam. wayne said that the cam was really restricting the engine, so the larger lift should help a whole lot.

17. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I think you would be surprised how much more power you can get with some extra carburetors and better exhaust to go with the cam.

Sounds cool.

18. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

yeah, magnus jager has a set of headers for his red ram. but he had to raise the engine up and all that jazz. the manifolds are not too bad flowing so ima stick with those, and have some cut outs for fun. but mainly some hushpowers out the back. i also want to run the 3x2 off. intake but i need to save for it, as well as the three 97's. its a bit pricey for it all.

here is a newer picture of the engine. with my grandpa's stude in the back.
    [​IMG]

19. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello...I just finished building my 241 Red Ram..I got a 318 distributor and put a pertronixs in it, what a difference.. I see you are using the old front on yours..Hot Heads Harmonic Balancer is nice and goes great with balanced engine..I have a pair of Sandersons Headers and 2" exhaust, want some back pressure..
    Priming your engine with oil is not a issue. If you don't have the intermediate shaft in good..Get a long blade screwdriver with a wide blade or make one..Put it in a drill motor and start slow and increase the speed of the drill..Your primed..
    I have run into almost every possible issue so if you need help let me know..
    Here is a picture of my 241..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

20. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

Yeah the Sanderson headers are more trouble than they are worth they hit the frame on both sides, and steering box. A custom set made for the application would be sweet,but $$$$

Nice looking hemi there.

21. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

97- fuckin ace. what did you put it in? i thoght about the assory drives like yours but i like the looks of the stock better. thats just my opinion, but it does look nice dont get me wrong.

magnus- yeah i wass looking through all of the pictures that you have on that website, following the car all the way and say that you had to mess with the drive lines. like you said, its just too much a pain for me.

i talked to a fellow in canada that is selling me a new rocker assembly braket, the rear one with the roll pins in it, because one of mine broke. i was looking at them more closely today and turns out the the other one is cracked where the pin goes in. the previous owner liked to rigg shit, and he just screwed in a bolt insted of getting a new pin. i keep finding all his shit and it just sucks.

22. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello...Magnus, how can the headers hit the frame..???????? Do you know what your talking about..Headers on a Hemi come from under the head and hug the block..You must have a very narrow frame or ???????????..
    Duane..

23. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello Again..Magnus oh Magnus, what do you see...
    Duane

Attached Files:

24. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I love those years of stude trucks.

Strongbergs97 Those headers are really neat lookin. I think the HEMI's sit real low between the rails on the 53-54 Dodge's.

Or he maybe he is talking about an earlier design?

25. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

26. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

those headers are awesom looking. i wouldnt mind a pair. but later days perhaps.

my grandpa had an old chevy car that he took a 454 out of. put it in that truck with a turbo 400. he's getting old so he has power steering and brakes. with A/C and a cessette player (high tech for him) he's 74 and doing burnouts down the drive way. im one of the lucky four that have driving the truck, including my grandma and dad. i was scared as hell the whole time but loved every second of it.

27. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hey Magus..Saw the pictures of your build..I'm bad..Sorry about the comment..You do have issues..
    Duane.