Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rolla Vollstead's E.O.R.A. track T...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zig Zag Wanderer, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

anyone have pictures of the "Paul Priest Special" track T that Rolla Vollstead ran in the Eastern Oregon Racing Association around '49-'53? the car was built in the C.R.A. style and ran a 12-port Fisher-headed GMC with dual sidedraft Vacturi carbuetors. i'm interested in engine shots primarily, of the side drive and those carbs. how similar might they be to Riley sidedrafts?

on a slightly different note, does anyone have any knowledge of unusual bodystyles run in the C.R.A. or similar series besides the typical '23-'27 T roadster or the occasional A-bone?

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

do you have all the books?
    don radbruch/tex smith (vol 1 & 2 ) and dick wallen's hard cover

dick's is more based in california but don's really covers the whole united states and shows what was going on in each area

all 3 of them are excelent refrence if your building a car
    ive spent more then a few hours studying them

good luck with your search
    Zach

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

[
    on a slightly different note, does anyone have any knowledge of unusual bodystyles run in the C.R.A. or similar series besides the typical '23-'27 T roadster or the occasional A-bone?[/quote]

Attached Files:

4. Fidget

Fidget

I made the referred to post. I'll dig out his book tomorrow, and see if there's a pic in it for you. The car I took a pic of in the first post is being sold locally for close to $30k.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I have copies of photos of the car (compliments of Don Radbruch) but they don't have any engine detail. What they DO show however is that the car was a "convertible"-it was really a sprint car in drag. They would remove the sprinter tail and cowl and place the roadster body on the chassis so they could run roadster events.

6. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

...a little o/t.....Rolla Vollstead, I haven't heard his name for a LONG time. I actually had contact with him several times back when he did Indy car teams and I worked with the "Bryant Heating & Cooling Special". Quite a guy.....

7. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

i don't have the Don Radbruch book but i do have the Tex Smith's hot rod history #1, which has nice detail in the Spaulding Bros. section about the Johnny Hartman/Wayne Chevy 6 powered track T

"I have copies of photos of the car (compliments of Don Radbruch) but they don't have any engine detail. What they DO show however is that the car was a "convertible"-it was really a sprint car in drag. They would remove the sprinter tail and cowl and place the roadster body on the chassis so they could run roadster events."

dale, i was not aware that the car was run as a sprint also, i'm looking at the chassis shots of the Johnny Hartman car and i can easily believe that most of the C.R.A. cars built after 47-48 could be "converted" that easily as well

thanks for the responses guys

8. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

cool thread fidget...what an honor to meet him and stand in his shop!

9. Fidget

Fidget

10. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

11. Fidget

Fidget

There's a picture of my mother in law on the trophy girl page.....the years have not been kind!! :D:D