Register now to get rid of these ads!

roll bar hoop. . . weld or bend?

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by FiddyFour, Nov 2, 2006.

1. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

taking a look in the "inspirational pics" thread, i saw the "cotton chopper" survivor gas rail that Rand Man posted... wow if that car could talk?!?!

anyhow, the roll hoop is welded from straight sections of round tube, and not mandrel bent. i have been kicking around the idea of building a bender from one of them HF pipe benders, mostly cause i have the thing and it come with the dies.

anyone see trouble with cut and welded roll bars/cage and safety? setting aside the obvious "make sure your welds penetrate" and the rest of the normal caviats?

T

2. Rand Man

Rand Man

I used a HF bender. It is a pain. I spent a lot of time grinding out one of the pipe dies to fit 1 3/4" tibing. I got the job done, but you cant make a very tight bend. If I use it again. I will try filling the tube with sand.

A welded section hoop might not pass tech. I would e-mail that photo to MO- Kan or your local track and ask them.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea, i kinda figured... i think i am seriously going to do some "trial and error" engineering on that HF bender, work with some sand and heat... it puts out plenty of force enough to bend the tubing, but it has a tendancy to flatten the stuff out on the outside of the radius

thanks!

:D

4. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

We went to a local chassis builder and had ours bent. Better to be safe than sorry.:)

5. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

A local chassis shop here charges $5 per bend. Can't beat that with a stick.

6. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

My main hoop costs me $20.00 to bend at a local roundy round shop. He cussed the thing, they are used to bending .95 and mine was .130.:D

7. If you can get by with 1 1/2" dia. tubing I can bend that with my Hossfeld. No dies for the oddball NHRA 1 5/8" dia.....1 3/4" either.

8. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Four point Roll bar must be 1 3/4.

9. I couldn't justify buying the dies necessary to bend 1 3/4" dia. tubing.....wouldn't be enough demand. However....if a group wanted to pay for the dies, I'd bend the (you furnish) tubes for free.

I had the 1 3/4" dies back in the 80's. Did the cage on an Altered drag car and the headache rack for this truck.....that was all.

Attached Files:

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

1 3/4" rollbar tubing is now standard in the dirt circle world. That's where the demand is (in my part of the country).

11. bob hindman

bob hindman

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

kinda far to drive for some bends, but if the beer is SUPER cold. . . :p

13. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Your SO KINDDDD......