Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Roger Penske just bought Indy speedways

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Nov 4, 2019.

1. toml24

toml24

Roger Penske just bought the Indy Motor Speedway.
    Wow!!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Deuces

Deuces

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

And also the Indy Car racing series.

Deuces likes this.
  4. I was just reading that article, look for some big changes & improvements, Roger Penske is a genius. HRP

Blue One, Deuces, gggholson and 2 others like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

He's not worried about his next meal........

6. Let's hope he puts the engine in the correct end of the car, and brings back dirt!!

7. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Damn. That had to be a huge chunk of money. I think the same family has owned the facilities for many years. I wonder why they decided to sell? Could be a good thing? As the old saying goes We Will See.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's the good news but I bet the cost of beer and hot dogs is going up.

9. I hope someone writes the biography someday of Roger Penske. The man is a business genius. What's he have, like 13 Indy 500 wins as an owner? Remarkable man. His business empire is a marvel.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It would be nice to have Indy return to the glory that it once had. If anyone can do it Roger Penske would be the man.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

He never kept any other race track he owned , so would not hold my breath. Makes me wonder if it is for the love of the sport, a flip for profit or he has a long term plan business portfolio?

craig b blue and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Plus it will all fall into Jay Penske and Penske Corporation board of directors laps sooner than later. I hope they are all in on keeping the sports health as one of the primary points of focus.

13. oldolds

oldolds

Hmmm 82 years old. A little late in life to take on that project. Just my opinion. I am sure he has people to do the work. I could not imagine the amount of work to keep a racing series and large track going.

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

As someone on another board said " At least it didn't get sold to NASCAR or International Speedways ".

15. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Time will tell. Tony George and his sisters have had the cost of things at the speedway dialed up to max for years.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Speedwrench all I have to say to that is "Amen". Now if Penske would buy Nascar and all of NASCAR's assets it would make me feel a lot better.

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A point I would like to know is Penske going still have his Indycar race teams as well as be the series owner.

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I got my answer. I guess he is keeping the teams.

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Interesting factoid was mentioned in a FOX Business round table last week that Penske was in line to buy GM out of BK but the powers that be restructured the deal so the bond holders were screwed and the UAW came out on top.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good for him! I admire the guy, hope the INDY 500 returns to the days when you could name the drivers. Bob

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard they were going to have a moving van race series, I hope that happens.

eddie1, Just Gary, 41rodderz and 8 others like this.
  22. tjm73

tjm73

Indianapolis is a truly American race. I hope it returns to V8 powered race cars, turbo or otherwise.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  23. aircap

aircap

Roger can afford it, and besides - he's a smart cookie. He'll do well with it.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  24. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Back when he bought our local dirt track (Nazareth), he was treated like the second comming of Christ. He quickly bulldozed the dirt track. Then he ran the big track into the ground and refused to sell it to anybody who wanted to operate it as a race track. Now it sits with weeeds growing up through it and the town loosing all the revenue it generated. In my opinion he's a piece of shit.

25. That was next to the old Nazareth 1/2 mile track. I was there for a race maybe in 1985 or 1986, went over climbed up to look it at the 1-mile new track, which was dirt at the time. I believe he tried to run up against Syracuse one year and lost his shirt.

26. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Roger was a Cleveland boy. I used to see him at Manners drive in restaurant in a '49 or '50 Ford with a Chevy. He's come a long way. He once bought a early MG I wanted

27. He must've got tired of going across town to see hies trophies, so he bought the trophy case. Hope to see it come back to some fun stuff like the 94 marlboro team

28. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

At that time the big track, and 1/2 miler track was owned by Jerry Freid. Jerry leased the track to former Reading track promoter Lindy Vicari. Lindy restored the big track and ran up against syracuse in 85. Kenny Brightbill was the winner. I was there, the place was packed to the gills. Know way he lost money.

Eventualy Jerry Freid sold both tracks to Penske. As soon as Rodger got possesion of both tracks he promptly sold the 1/2 miler to a real estate developer who built a strip mall on the property. And that was the end of the track infamous for being the place Mario Andretti started his racing career.

As for the big track, Penske sunk millions into to paving the track and upgrading the facilities. Then he ran the track it into the ground. The stands got tore down and moved to Watkins Glen. He then sold off the track to another developer who went bankrupt after promising the town he was going to build an arena for a minor league hockey team on the site.. 20 years later, the remaining parts of the track sit like a giant shit hole eye sore in the town of Nazareth. If you poke around youtube you can find a documentary that Mario just did on the track. Very sad.

tractorguy likes this.
  29. RmK57

RmK57

It gives Logano, Keselowski and Blaney a hand up in a place to practice. Or would that be a conflict of interest with Nascar?

30. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Penske will probably run the 500 on the damn road course!Penske only cares about Penske