Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Rodder's Journal back in '22? Does anyone have any news?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thinkfink, Jun 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think when fellas actively seek out every one of these threads in order to doubt it’s existence, it reads like, “Y’all are crazy… it’s gone.”

I mean, you stated that opinion already. Why double down?

I dunno… I get why fellas would be disappointed in how all the troubles were handled… but homie is working his ass off trying to make it right… seems appropriate to support him with positivity.

2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I think we should support him. Its been a great magazine. We are a fairly small community and need to stick together. If we don't support the people that run businesses that cater to us they'll be gone.

3. 5window

5window

Even if you are skeptical or angry, why not hope it comes back? Wouldn't that be the best outcome?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t recall, but if I said as much, it’s not “hope they fail”.

41 coupe and PoTaToTrUcK like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

oh. Dude. I’m not singling you or anyone else out. Hell, I don’t even look at usernames half the time.

SilverJimmy, Outback, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  6. 296ardun

296ardun

I have supported Steve and TRJ since it went down. I still do. Period. The publishing business is very hard these days, but if he can get it back, he will.

7. elgringo71

elgringo71

Any of us that have had magazine subscriptions in the past have probably had the magazines go bankrupt without a refund. I know that it has happened to me before. During COVID the world changed and many businesses are gone. So it has definitely been a difficult time for businesses. If he says that he is working on getting back on his feet, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I am a Lifetime subscriber and I loved the magazine. He makes his living off of the magazine because it’s not corporate owned. I’m sure that he doesn’t want it to fail. If someone owed me money and they were in a coma after a car wreck, would I wish for their death or that they came out of the coma?

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My local newsstand has fewer and fewer automotive magazines, and only one or two that cover my interests, and those
    seem to have tech that reads like a reinstatement of the directions that came with the parts, possibly with better quality photos. I miss the smaller ads in the back of the mags that often had small guys that developed a fix for things that
    the big guys ignored. I hope to see advertisers support TRJ just for that.

427 sleeper, hrm2k and 5window like this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in on the first lifetime offering. I cleared a spot on the shelf below my coffee table for the new issues when they arrive. Not IF they arrive but WHEN they arrive.

I would do another subscription if it would help

SilverJimmy, unforgiven, rod1 and 9 others like this.
  10. belair

belair

It doesn't take much to get our panties in a wad, does it? Did Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, or Rod and Custom bust their asses to try and honor your subscriptions and faithfulness? Did they give you updates on their progress as they strove to honor thei commitment to you? Did they treat you as if you had any value? Who care if you're butt-hurt about your life-time subscription not working out like you thought it would. (Yes, I have one). If it works out and I get a copy in the mail one day, serendipity. If not, my life just rocks along. My my wife of 39 years still thinks l'm good looking, the kids are doing well, my grandson is about to turn 1, my parents are still here, I have the best job I have ever known, live in the greatest country in the world, have 264 channels on the TV, got a chopped Model A coupe, a 55 two door, a 56 Nomad, a 57 hard top an A V8 pickup, and Jesus loves me. So l got no patience with the boo-hoos about how you didn't get you magazine this time. Long liveTRJ and the ingerity of the folks trying to bring it back.

SilverJimmy, Outback, das858 and 40 others like this.
  11. 5window

5window

Well spoken.

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's kinda funny (sad)...Steve and staff went to great lengths produced 83/84 of the FINEST traditional hot rod publications on the planet, despite all of his great contributions to hot rodding, it appears TRJ and Steve's legacy could sadly be based on the ONE issue that wasn't produced.:(

Outback, mgermca, unforgiven and 8 others like this.
  13. My old bosses motto was “we’re only as good as the last car we repaired”.
    what is the ratio of positive stories in the news compared to negative?
    Such is the human condition.

I don’t think the guys (TRJ’s) story is written yet.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  14. cross fingers and wish Steve all the best - it was a great magazine!

15. 5window

5window

It is a great magazine.

16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

It's coming back with a bang. I've heard rumors about the cover car :)

17. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I re-upped with a 2 year sub just before it all went bad. I'd gladly pay again if it'll help. Besides I need another TRJ cap and more t-shirts!

18. tomcat11

tomcat11

Wut fer, you got that avatar girl!:D

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ll subscribe for the first time when it comes back. I do have a bunch of back issues I`ve boughten over the years. Both new and old.

20. I have a subscription (not a life time) I'm not sure how many more that are left from my last renew. I look forward to a new issue in my hands in the future...

jackandeuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. goboy33

goboy33
    from Florida

I met Steve and the crew at the L.A. Roadster show a few years ago. They put my '33 roadster in the Rodders Journal, looking for history.
    These guys eat, sleep, and breathe hot rods. It must be hell on them!
    I'm betting on Steve and the crew to get the Journal up and running again, if it's humanly possible.

Outback, Scooterville, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  22. thinkfink

thinkfink

Thanks to all of you for the updates.
    And also great to see, that I am not the only one has no hard feelings of what has happened so far.
    The world went upside down in the last years and a stubborn "a deal, is a deal" mentality won't get TRJ back on a financial solid base.
    Especially for the international lifetime subscribers, it will be impossible to refresh the deal without some compensation for the increase in shipping costs.
    In the end, all I want are my missing issues and TRJ to be financially sound to be able to operate.
    It was the best Hot Rod publication out there and hope it is soon again.

Outback, warbird1, D type and 4 others like this.
  23. I am standing by to see what happens, as far as I am concerned if it comes back and they make good on what I paid for.

I keep seeing all this how hard the print business is, shit so wearing steal toe boots everyday and working for months at a time in a slightly ventilated machinery space. The money I used to pay for TRJ was made the hard way, I didn't get it from my grandma.

24. 5window

5window

I'm not sure about all of your points, since you left some words out, I think. Or if you have a Lifetime or unfulfilled annual subscription.What if they come back? In any case, no one was belittling your livelihood or the value to you of the money you spent. I'm not sure where those HAMB gold chainers you despise are lurking. Most of the HAMBers I am familiar with are hard working, even in retirement, folks.
    No matter where the money comes from, everyone is entitled to receive what they purchase. So we all hope, for our good and the good of hot rodding, that TRJ resurrects itself.
    And, get some ventilation where you work. Management should take better care of you.

25. And a hoodie!

Jack Rice, 5window and jim snow like this.
  26. I sure did leave out unfulfilled annual subscription.

Thanks for taking time to read my comments.

I am a field service engineer and I travel all over the world helping people fix machinery. It's often uncomfortable, but I think it pays better than print media. Take it easy 5window

Outback and 5window like this.
  27. Lil32

Lil32

sitting here re reading TRJ No 84 which I received 12th January 2021
    looking forward to TRJ No 85
    I got my copies from our Newsagent

28. thinkfink

thinkfink

Lucky you...#84 never made it to Europe as far as I know. Enjoy.

Outback and Lil32 like this.
  29. Graystoke

Graystoke

30. catdad49

catdad49

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.