Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodder's Digest / Buckaroo Communications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 34 kid, Sep 2, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I miss Steve too.
    He had his run in the mag starting Project Big Olds.
    I wanted to give props to all my pals that helped finish Big Olds in the mag that started the whole thing. If there was ever a car that deserved the cover of Rodder's Digest it is certainly Big Olds.

2. Spike!

Spike!

..But there"s a nice shot of you in Rod and Kulture
    from the Jalopy Showdown... Just sayin.. : )

Spike

3. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

It did! Issue #3 of Blacktop!!!!!!!! It also has a very sexy pic of Denise!

4. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Welcome to the new world of getting screwed. I got a kick out of the U tube picture of the crowd of people looking up standing at the sky scraper Enron building (stock market rip off's ) one of them holding up a big piece of cardboard with magic marker huge letters saying JUMP FUCKERS !

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

It sounds like you guys got the hotdog in the backdoor. Oh well. I get TRJ and R&C. Never had any problems.

6. 2002p51

2002p51

"Big Olds" will get a better deal in another mag eventually.

They can't all keep ignoring that car!

7. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I repeat Issue #3 of Blacktop Graffiti!!!!!!!!!!!

8. big bad john

big bad john

Talk about raining on your parade.........just to let you know....They got money come me too.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You guys are missing my point. I don't care about Big Olds being in any other mag....he's been in a few and of course that was great. My point is that Big Olds started off in that mag and from time to time Rodders Digest would do a small article with an update on Big Olds progress thru the years. It would have been nice to see the whole build come together in one feature in the mag that started it all.......and to see some of the cool shots in print that were taken a couple of years ago for the feature.

10. I understand that completely. Closure.

11. Rodder's Digest was always my favorite magazine...became friends with Steve Hendrickson ...met his dad, Roger and kept in touch with Burger...writing back and forth. Had my cars in the readers pages several times..
    With the help of Bob K and earlier when Steve brought me a big box of RDs at a Christmas party in Minneapolis, I built my collection of RD magazines...kept them coming until they quit coming in the mail. It's the only magazine I collect..in fact it's the only thing I collect. Still need some early issues to finish out my collection.
    I also got burned when they went under...both times.
    When Steve, Gerry and McWirter ran the show it was fantastic..a great informative, down-to-earth and funny publication. And they built it up from nothing to be torn down by Buckaroo.....RIP

PS...yeah, Denise, I agree. It'd have been great to have seen a "finished" feature on Big Olds....'specially in their last issue.

12. Rocky, send me a list of your missing issues. If I have any they are yours. I remember that party at Paso Johns house, we tore into that box of mags like wolves!

13. Da Flash

Da Flash

OK
    Number one, the crew that were doing all the work are gone, out again into the free lance world, a scary lonely place.... So they are not out there as if nothing happened. They are a great group of people.
    Two, as one of those out there freelancing, I lost over $8000.00 for work published.
    So cry over a sub all you want..
    Da Flash

14. Nobody here is pissed at Gerry, Lane and others. We know you guys got hosed as well. It is Mr Ego John Dianna that bears the weight. But alas, we have had a couple threads about him over the years.

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Just to clarify the above: Tex Smith's Mag. was taken over by, I think, American Rodder, many, many years ago before Dianna's involvement. And for a time it was a part of that mag, placed in the back-half, and, possibly on the cover was listed as being combined with that mag: "Tex Smith's ______ Now Combined With American Rodder" or something like that. I had a number of those issues.

Then, as it always happens when one magazine is absorbed by another, (or, one company is absorbed by another) the "Tex Smith" mag that was added to AR eventually vanished.

Sorry about your loss of cash we've ALL been there in various situations, myself included, and that's never cool. But, in this instance the story goes deeper:

Most of the time when one mag is taken over or folds, if it's from the same Publisher, the Publisher will transfer your Subscription to one of their other mags. This was proven a few years back when Custom Rodder was phased out. The Publisher gave Subscribers the option of changing over to Street Rodder or Rod & Custom, at no charge, for the remainder of their Subscription length.

Moral: There ARE some honest folks in the Publishing Industry, and Brian Brennan, and his crew at SR/R&C, etc., are among them.

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The only thing Burger and those guys were guilty of the first time around was being under funded and a single title company. When TAM bought them out, I had seen over the years how they had treated their titles and knew the end was near. I can't blame Gerry for selling his company, he was probably promised that it would be expanded and have greater distribution on the racks. He maybe just wasn't as selective as he should have been. John Dianna however, I'm sure there is a special place in what ever circle of hell he lands in. Why would you ever put out an editorial about how big your offshore boat is when your titles are all two months late to the rack? Nor do I care how big and luxurious your offices are, ever. Doesn't seem to ring true to me... But I'm never to patient with conspicuous consumer types. Just rubs me the wrong way. He was also responsible for the catalog ROD & CUSTOM became during the nineties under Jeff Tann's editorial reign. Good thing Dave Frieburger was given the chance to tune it up, from what I understand, it was hours away from being axed a third time!

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Rocky, list here publicly what issues you're missing as there are many here, myself included that have doubles.

18. Buckster

Buckster

A buddy of mine went thru Dayton, TN on the way to the NSRA Nationals. He went by Buckaroo's office & noticed some guys loading some magazines into a pickup truck. No
    other activity was noted.

19. arincee

arincee

Yeah, I know what you're saying, I got burned by Buckaroo too. We're all in the same leaky boat but screw them. At least we've still got our hot rods to have fun with. I hope those crooked assholes will never get to ride in a hot rod again!

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You've been registered on the HAMB for almost three years and THIS post is what you choose to come out of the closet spewing??:rolleyes:

21. Roadsir

Roadsir

I pretty much stopped reading RD after Steve left. I did stay with R&C, HOP UP, and RJ. For Steve the magazine business was always fun, and he had great passion for the business, but it was a really tough business, and even tougher today.

My advice on subscriptions is one year at a time on the spendy ones. R&C, HOT ROD etc. is pretty damn cheap for multiple years and when something happens your not out much.

It's really a shame what Buckaroo and JD has done with RD, and especially the staff, freelancers, and readers.

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

How many times did they kill R&C over the years? I'm pretty confident that subscribers either got Hot Rod or some other Petersen mag they didn't want.

-Brad