Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rod or Restore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROUSHGT, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

That thing has LOW tail dragger mild custom written all over it. At least that's what I see.....

2. Weasel

Weasel

I have a couple of resto rodded cars with IFS,9" and SBC/auto, but because I use widened stock wheels with radial whitewalls which look like bias plies, I get plenty of people saying how nice it is to see a properly restored car and those who know a little more and see that the cars sit a little lower are still full of positive comment. For all the diehard drum brake/bias ply/original engine hopped up zealots on the HAMB, I would wager that there are just as many on this board who would simply admire the cars for what they are - look like the originals but run more like a late model. For me it is more about being sympathetic to the original than being anal about using old technology when there are better solutions out there which can make a hot rod more usable in today's rat race traffic conditions. If they had had the technology available to them back in the day, they would have used it. And doesn't Ryan run a Mustang II IFS on his '38???

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Rod it with out making those changes, EFI, IFS, a car that rare deserves nicer stuff than that don't you think? Why wouldn't you try to score a nice old school power plant for it? What do you need an IFS for? Hot Rod it, don't S rod it, you'll be happier and your ride will be tits plus.

4. I agree with the folks that say restore rather than making another damned cookie-cutter 1-800-rod-parts street rod out of it. That could be a really nice, distinctive car for the same amount of work as putting all the street rod stuff in it.

Worst case, round up another frame or fab a new frame for it for your late model deal, then the car can be put back if someone wants to down the road. Who knows if we'll even be able to buy gas in 15 years, put it together to enjoy.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

From your profile it looks like you've already made your decision but you asked for comments so . . .

make it easy on youself. Just drop the whole body on an s-10 chassis and be done with it.

Guess you can tell I'm in the traditional camp, huh.

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If your main concern is resale value then I think restoration is the way to go. It isn't prime rod material like a '32 Ford. And even if it was, in 15 years street rod tastes change a lot. Today a car that was street rodded in 1995 would be horribly out of date and therefore worth less to potential buyers. Stock is stock now and forever you don't have to worry about the whim of the public's tastes changing.

If I had it, I'd probably keep any changes subtle and traditional. Timeless designs stay that way.

7. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

get it drivable, and enjoy it like it is for a few years, then decide.
    it's a bitchin ride the way she sits now

8. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I would go with a resto-rod build, but emphasis on the "rod"

9. redo32

redo32

Hey R.GT, Admit it! Your a closet Street Rodder, just come on here to rile up the youngster "traditionalist". When they get older these "rat rodders" ( that'll get them pissed off) will realize that our creaky old bodies deserve a soft, smooth ride with air conditioning, tilt wheel and nice leather under our butt. It sounds like you have a plan, you don't need to have approval from anyone here. If you do a quality build and it sets right & looks right everyone will appreciate it be it Ford or Terraplane.

10. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Thought they were ugly 'til I saw daddy-0's! So I geuss that 's my answer..
    In 15 years which version would you rather be driving?
    Or keep the stock body and update the underpinings (which sounds like what you're planning). I'm all for beam axles & such, but I've never heard anyone say "my car rides too nice, steers & brakes too well - I wish I'd kept it stock"!
    What does it matter what it might be worth in 15 years if you ain't gonna enjoy it during those years?
    All just food for thought, do what makes ya happy...

11. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

That'll guarantee low resale!

12. Another vote for traditional hot rod. Looks like you've got a solid body and chassis to work with. Get it running, driving, safe, and reliable. Keep it basic and simple. Stay with the beam axle up front, upgrade brakes, change the rear end to something with good highway gears (this car was geared too low for good cruising at 65 MPH), go with an engine and trans that does not require major body and frame mods. Wire it with a good quality aftermarket harness so electrical gremlins don't take the fun out of owning and driving it. Then drive the living daylights out of it while you're saving up money for a slick paint job, upholstery, etc.

13. badgeree

badgeree

I was at the Auction where the restored one sold, it was pretty perfect. I wouldn't bother restoring it, if money making is your idea.
    Make the mods you need to do to make it cool and fun, then drive the wheels off it. Worry about what it's worth in 15 years, when 15 years gets here. We might be running on Flux Capacitors and bannana skins by then, so it'll be worth nuthin'.

14. ROUSHGT

ROUSHGT

Thanks to everyone who commented. I decied it will be rodded and be old school looking but late model EFI with overdrive. Sold the original engine this week to my friend who has 3 Terraplanes. More to come soon!

Doug

15. Weasel

Weasel

You should be able to get a late model EFI engine in without having to cut or mod the firewall. At the risk of being flamed, the Chevy LS engines are about 1 1/2" shorter than the SBC and with an OD trans you'll get good mpg too.

You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it when you can go, stop and steer like a later model. It's all about the smiles per mile....