Register now to get rid of these ads!

rod & kulture's dragfest update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zombie, Apr 10, 2008.

1. zombie

zombie

well, i wanted to give everybody a heads up on the evolution of the dragfest event. it seems that we are going to be a LOT more inclusive this year than i had hoped. all of the classes except for hotrod have been bumped up to 1972. this is not what i wanted, and have been fighting it tooth and nail. however, this being the first event, and not knowing exactly how much "real" nostalgia stuff is going to show up, the powers at be, feel we need to make sure there is a "full" show for the spectators. i have had a lot of guys contact me that are bringing real history cars to make passes both for competition, as well as exhibition. the show will have a lot more real nostalgia cars than hotrod reunion, or march meet, but unfortunately they will be mixed in with some camaros and mustangs sporting snorkle scoops. this event has snowballed into a very large event with about 25 classes, so we are already discussing another event that will be smaller im sure, but will be a lot more "exclusive" for the traditional cars only. now, with this being said this is going to be a great event with a ton of real nostalgia cars, and is gonna be a great time. i just want everyone to know exactly what to expect at this event, since the venue has evolved.

thanks, zombie

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Zombie, are you still excepting pre-registration? I need to get mine in!
    Rocky

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Lets get ready to RUMBLE!!!!!

4. zombie

zombie

yes. on the website, or by phone: 661-852-0106.

im looking forward to seeing the ol' rail-job make some passes.

zombie

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

Sorry to hear you had to bend and compromise, but I understand. I just hope everyone else does, too... Good luck with this deal. And keep us posted on the future, "more pure" event...

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

It's still going to be One Hell of a SHOW ..............22 more days!

7. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Kinda bums me out. All of the previous talk, and the website, was emphasizing how "real" it was going to be. On the other thread, you even had pictures of examples that you didn't want. Now it sounds like it's going to end up being full of those cars.

I've already taken vacation time, bought plane tickets, and made hotel reservations. Now it sounds like you have plans for another, exclusive, event that is going to be the way that you advertised this one.

I'm sure it will still be fun. But after the hype of a real nostalgia dragrace like the early 60's, a bunch of Mustangs and Camaros bracket racing doesn't quite cut it.

Are the nostalgia cars going to at least have their own classes? Or are they going to run side by side with the later stuff?

8. Shoprag

Shoprag

Yeah the year extension suks, when zombie came into the barber shop (for his kids hair cuts not his) we talked about the change, the thing is it sounds like it's still gonna kick some ass.

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

The NHRA Heritage Race in Vegas will attract most of the 'Newstalgia' IMO, Lets support this race in numbers and let 'em know what we want! I don't know anywhere else we're gonna see 300 ft squirts by REAL old NITRO (Cacklefest) diggers, a drive-in movie screen, DragBikes, Fuel Altereds and who knows what the 'Loosened' rules will bring out of the woodwork. There should be plenty to see, when the Mustang and Camaros come out consider it a Beverage Call!

10. Will there be sacrifices to the Nitro Gods? Who'll be tippin' the Can?

11. zombie

zombie

hey buzzard, first of all i appologize for recent additions to the classes.

some of the classes are mixed but, fuel altered, the straight axle gasser class, open wheel flathead/six cyl., e gas, and f gas, some nostalgia bike classes, and hot rod classes should be "traditional" for the most part. the other classes should be loaded with traditional stuff as well, but there will be a mix.

the cool thing is that we have been contacted by quite a few history cars that are coming. we also have been approved to run 3 point cages for 10 seconds and slower on the rails.

i have zero desire to watch mustangs and camaros bracket race. i am doing all i can to keep that shit to a minimum.

12. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'm not even worried about it pesonaly. i think there will be enough cool shit there that the stuff i don't care for will hardly be noticed. i can't wait!!! flyin out in just over 2 weeks!!!

13. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Don't get me wrong, we're still headed your way. I think the weekend should be a blast and sorry if I came across too negative. I know how things can change during the process and I'm sure ya'll will do a great job at keeping the compromises to a minimum.

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

I Wish It Wasn't A Conflicting Date With The Nostalgia Heritage Races In Las Vegas!!! I Love This Stuff And I Cant Go Now!! I Would Love To Rip A Full 1320 Burnout!!!!

15. Hey Zombie, understand that I fully support your vision for this event.

But what is the reasoning behind letting the new shit in?

I mean, were the numbers not there to break even with pre '64 iron?

I too am one that would not want to see a compromise in your vision just to make sure the show is full.

The feeling I have is that the newer iron is somewhat of a pandoras box... and if you experience a revenue due to the inclusion of these cars... it will be hard in the future to turn that away.

Again, I support you and what you are doing... and am one that would love to see this work out.

Also... as far as stuff I would like to see...

1) Would be a class for the HA/GR cars.

2) Would be a class for 4 speed clutch cars. I'm talkin' gear jammin'. clutch usin' axle twistin' FOUR SPEEDS!! Not Jerico crush boxes that you can shift without using a clutch... or modern Liberty trannies in Pro-Stock cars... I'm talking FOUR SPEED cars with 10" slicks leaving on a PRO TREE... man, that would separate the men from the boys.

I'll see ya all there.

Sam.

p.s. if you see me and my '55 stop by and say hi... and if you see it runnin' down the track... raise your beer and scream "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

'car will have a gray hood on it at the drags... but look the same:
    [​IMG]

16. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I don't think LIVE WIRE will be ready... but either way i'll be there filming for Volume 6!!!

can't fucking wait!!

17. TERIFFIC!!! Now here come all the fuckin Mustangs and Camaros!!!!! What happened? Why not pre-65? I'm still coming,but that sucks....

18. Just charge more to let those cars in, that might cut down on them..
    I would think if they see who is putting on the show, they "might" get a clue who is and who is not wanted.

Maybe we can get the orcabetties to sit on their cars and scratch them..

19. That's funny shit!!!

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i can understand and appreciate the disapointment some of you guys are feeling but i do not think any of you will be disapointed once your there... keep in mind that it is a huge undertaking to put on an event like this. not only in the work involved but the HUGE amount of money it can take to pull something like this off. ever tried to plan and put on a car show of ANY size?? i have. in fact i funded it out of my pocket and did the majority of the work (planning wise) myself. it's NOT "fun".
    try to look at it from a business perspective. if ya can't at least break even what is the point in doing it at all? unless you just have tons of money to throw around. some people do i suppose but that is not the world i live in.

props to Zombie and the "powers that be" at TRnK for having the cahones to invest the time and money into something like this for all of us to enjoy. i don't know what the financial situation is at TRnK but remember that this is a (relatively) small, home grown effert and i'm sure they do not have Peterson Publishing kind of money. this HAS to be a huge risk, financialy, for a business to undertake.... point is, i know it might be disapointing to see later model cars involved in this event but opening up the show to a wider variety of vehicles increases the potential to make money (necesary to put on this or another event in the future). not only does it increase the potential to make money via entry fees for race vehicles but, believe it or not, not everyone is into "traditional" cars and this will likely draw people (and their money) that are into other vintages of race cars as spectators. ya never know, maybe one of those "Camaro and Mustang" guys will see those nitro burnin rails run down the track and decide to build one himself, thus insuring the future of the vintage of drag car that we all here in HAMB-land enjoy the most.

21. zombie

zombie

well, i just got back from vegas and randy just gave me the ok to fill everybody in on the whole plan. if the event is successful (its looking real good) we will be having a 5 point series race next year. the 1st and final race will be a '72 and down race, but the 3 middle events will be the traditional '65 and down race.

no offence taken buzzard, i understand exactly what you're talking about.

we started promoting our event 6 months before the nhra heritage series dates came out. the nhra has done several things to deliberately screw us. i had hoped we could keep things cool, but its not looking real good at this time.

hey sam, i think the above statement should answer some of your questions. the reasons for letting the 72 stuff in on this first event is because of the cost of the event. one of the pricey items is the fuel altered show. lets just say i could buy a brand new car for what the altereds cost, but these are the real deal, short wheelbase altereds, and they're worth every penny. with some insurance adjustments, we are making the 3 point cage legal for 10 seconds and slower rails. we're paying $1250 for 1st, $500 for 2nd, and $250 for 3rd for more than 20 classes, bands, drive-in movie screen, and the list of "pricy items" goes on and on. the traditional stuff is still the main reason we are doing this event, and these are the guys we will be catering to. once we see how much traditional stuff shows up, this will give us a better idea for new classes next year. i love that little 55, and i would love to come by and drink 1 or several. ha ha.

are you still going to bring it for the show?

bad bob, i read you loud and clear, and i feel your pain. i hope the above ramblings answer your question.

i really appreciate all of the support from the hambers. after this first event i would like to get some feed back on things you would like to see more of, or different for next year.

thanks, zombie

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Sent my entry in and the car will make it regardless........Our goal is still to RACE it! 19 DAYSSSSSSSSS

23. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'm so fucking stoked i can hardly stand it!!! i'm comin out the begining of the week (to L.A.) to just ramble around and meet cool people and hang out at cool places. i have NO IDEA where i'm stayin or what i'm doin. just me and my rental car in California for a week. YEEHA!! might even do some camping and hiking in Death Valley or something...

can't wait to see and meet you all. Sammy my friend, it will be great to catch up with you. it's been too long.

24. Muttley

Muttley

If I take the time to draw up a map and set up a HAMB meet will any of you clowns show up?

25. Of Course!
    But if we do not do that, just look for the ugliest mo fo in the place..

That would be me...

26. Muttley

Muttley

I'll draw up the map tomorrow.

27. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

"believe it or not, not everyone is into "traditional" cars and this will likely draw people (and their money) that are into other vintages of race cars as spectators. ya never know, maybe one of those "Camaro and Mustang" guys will see those nitro burnin rails run down the track and decide to build one himself, thus insuring the future of the vintage of drag car that we all here in HAMB-land enjoy the most."

Exactly KUSTOMBUILDER! This is exactly what my worst nightmare would be, all the hundreds of thousnads of pony car owners making it more difficult and expensive to get more "traditional" cars and parts for the guys who have been doin it for years, sorry I have to disagree!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

28. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

that is a valid point. i don't think anything is going to change that inevitability though.

29. Hey Zombie, can you or someone send me a link to the info that not ADOBE?

My computer is F'd up and I cannot open any adobe format stuff..

I need to start planning the trip, I might be a vendor, I will be camping, and I want to put 2 of my cars in the show.

Are there fees to show, or just admission, and do we just drive up and show, or is there registration?

Sorry for dumb questions, but I cannot read the stuff on your site.

Looking forward to it. and BTT for you anyway.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey Zombie, these is the type of defensive conversations I've had to have for years about Billetproof and Goodguys. Most people have zero idea what it takes (time, money, effort) to put an an event - especially a drag event. Goodguys is very skilled at putting on events and the VRA series of drags was a break-even endeavor as a whole.

Everyone wants a niche event for cheap or free. When I win the lottery we'll have one. Until then promoters have to make money for events to exist...period.

Hang in there.