Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod & Custom'sheavy handed subscription tactics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Jan 27, 2007.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

In yesterday's mail I got an envelope with a big red banner on the outside that said; "Service Intertuption Notice". Well, I know all my bills are paid so I open it up and it's one of those renew your subscription now deals. But inside, in a big red box it says; "This is the fifth time we've written with no word from you. We're concerned that you haven't responded." And below that it says; "Service interruption is pending - so we need to hear from you by 02/16/07"

Now, right on the label of the cover of the latest issue is the expriration date of my sub, and that's Jul 07, and that's also on the address label on this notice, so WTF?

I've still got six months to go and I get a notice like this? It's tactics like this that'll make me drop the damn magazine

2. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

You don't have six months to go, the April issue just came out. I'm not defending these mailings, I don't like them and I get them as well. Next time send me an email ([email protected]) and I'll forward it onto our subscription department. Can't fix something if I'm not aware of it.

3. bills model a

bills model a
    BANNED

If you get them how could you not be aware of it ? :}

Bill

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...that was easy...

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. seldom scene

seldom scene

Hey Kevin, I have a coupon from a 1960 R & C offering a years subscription for 1.00. It has no expiration date on it will you honor it? Just kidding it's more valuable in the mag and I love R&C and will subscribe as long as you will publish.

6. purple

purple

Cool deal Kevin, I know you don't have control over the companies sub dept., just runnin the coolest mag in the corporate line up. It's the only mag I still get. I miss Jim but he's got his shit together with his next line of work. And good luck with the Custom Rodder orphans, I hope not too many get their shorts in a bunch over the sub swap.

7. 2002p51

2002p51

Thanks for your response, Kevin.

I always assumed that since Primedia's subscription stuff all comes from Palm Coast, Fl, and you're in SoCal that, in a company the size of Primedia, the editorial types don't have any contact/influence with the subscription types.

I appreciate getting a reminder that it's time to renew. I object to it being in the tone of me being a deadbeat that's trying to aviod a bill collector.

Subscribers are a magazine's regular customer and should be treated as such.

Just my $.02

Drew

8. All of my Primemedia subscriptions are like that...when I ordered a year of Skateboarder, I got one of those within a few months.

Bryan

9. You'll probably save money by letting it lapse and then they'll give you a real cheap new subscriber rate.
    Don't you just love "the suits".

10. rixrex

rixrex

I get it...subscription swap, so thats why I just got an R&C in the mail to make for Custom Rodders demise..I also got solicited by all the other mags too...Rod and Custom is just fine by me, excellent magazine

11. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

I don't subscribe to R&C because I get a box full every month. Sorry that you took it so literally but I get plenty of junk mail telling me to open it immediately and not to discard it. Sorry if I confused you Bill.

12. twochops

twochops

Here's a dumber one yet -- I got two of these in the mail today -- one for Rod and Custom and the other for Street Rodder. It says this huge savings is not offered to others. It also says this offer not available to the general public and is non-transferable. But this is the same damn price that is in the inserted magazine coupons.

TwoChops

Attached Files:

13. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

That card was suppose to go up in smoke 30 seconds after you read it. I'll have to talk to our tech department about that. Better jump on that offer, we only do a limited number of issues every month so you don't want to miss any.

14. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Hey Drew just a heads up for ya. I always renew at the NSRA Southern Nats in May at Knoxville. I usually get a good deal on the subscription and also a free T-Shirt to go with it.eet Rodder since I had 2 years left on my R&C...that particular shirt left a little to be desired...not near as cool as R&C's. Since you live in Kingsport I thought you might make Knoxville. I'd let it lapse buy it iff the stand until I could renew there.

48 Poncho

Oh yeah, I want Dixey's job!

15. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

don't know what happened to my typing in that post but I typed I re-upped to Street Rodder since I had 2 years left on R&C but Street Rodder's T shirt looked like something a kid would want...not near as cool as R&C's.

48 poncho

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i jsut called about that the other day...they had already swapped it over and with my 2 year reup, im good till july of 2010!!!! easy enough!:)

17. Robert

Robert

I got two different renewal requests within a week and they were for different amounts. Two years for $24.00 or two years for $27.97????

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

id go with the first one!!!:D

19. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

I think that is a no-brainer.

20. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

That's what I thought but I couldn't find a calculator :D

CC

21. I'd jump on that $24.00 offer....at the rate that's climbing next weeks might be $30.00;)

22. bills model a

bills model a
    BANNED

Please no sorrys after all if you have no idea about what is being mailed out
    then i don't think im the one confused.
    Bill