Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod Angle questions ???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeyboy, Sep 2, 2003.

1. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

can anyone explain what measurements,(dimentions), you use to determine the rod angle figure. I understand the long rod/short rod theorey, (more torque, less timing etc) The Burning issue i have is, in several discussions this weekend, one of my buddies put forth that an engine with a higher (Numerically),angle, the easier the motor would be to tune [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Reason for all of this....thinking about a 351w block, 400 ford rods, and K B pistons.........supposed to be a torque monster....just wanna be sure i have correct information on all of this

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Are you talking about rod angle or rod ratio? The setup you are discussing has a great rod ratio, which results in low rod angles. As for tuning variations, I just don't know. Interesting topic, though.

3. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

the number i keep heading for this combo is 1.9...i am under the assumption that is a ratio....but not quite sure..... which is why i am here [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

That is the rod/stroke ratio. 1.9 is considered really good. Speed-O-Motive markets rotating assemblies for this combination. Info on the web, but need to call for tech questions.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Rod Ratio is: Rod center lenght devide by Crank stroke.
    For example: Chevy 327 has 5.700 rod centers, and a 3.250 stroke crank which yeilds a 1.75 rod ratio.
    If you want torque, you need a longer stroke than the stock 3.500 of a 351W.
    Hope this helps.

6. [ QUOTE ]
    an engine with a higher (Numerically),angle, the easier the motor would be to tune

[/ QUOTE ] Bullshit.

7. Winfab

Winfab

I had always been under the assumption that the longest rod possible was the way to go. Well....check out the tech article on rod length/ratios on iskycams.com

Best wishes!