Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rockstars: what did you run for brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murder_city_devil, Apr 17, 2008.

1. what have you used to stop your 1949-1954 chevy? i don't think i want to use the walton style firewall mount power steering unit to keep a cleaner engine bay. so i'm looking at a 1970-71 master cyl. i think they ran disc front drum rear(same thing i'm running). but throw me some ideas i'm stumped!

-marty

2. ECI dual MC bracket in stock position......

3. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I got a man. master cylinder from a early 70's corvette made for disc/drums Mounted it in the stock location. ECI disc kit up front on the stock spindles. It was one of the best things I did for that car. I also went to a circle track race shop and got some universal braided brake lines and fittings made by earls and it was a lot cheaper that trying to find the camaro lines that eci recomends. Dont forget the residual ( sp?) valves, and the proportioning valve, they are a must.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

I run stockstockstock. Once you learn to leave them a little loose they grab good. I can lock all 4 wheels up and I got 215-60x15's BFG radials that have 7 inches of thread on the ground. No power brakes either.

Frank

5. Tman...will a dual really fit in the stock location? i've been assuming this whole time they didn't.

54BOMB...that's what i was looking at except 70-71 camaro manual master cyl. but thanks for the corvette idea too. where did you locate your proportioning and residual valves?

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

I think we pulled a clean one from a early 70's chevy truck....couldnt afford the Waltons one at the time..Can always swap it out later, but it has been working fine for me..:)

7. fef100

fef100

I had mid fifties Chevy five lug drums on mine, late fifties Chevy car rearend, stock master. Seemed to work ok, but that was early eighties & I lived out of town, so traffic wasn't an issue.

8. tooslow54

tooslow54

I used the RB's under floor kit along with a MP Power Brakes disc conversion on my 54.

9. 67-76 Vette Non-Power M/C. I made my own bracket. It loos just like the on in the NCA catalog, I also upraded the front brakes to Bendix style. Todd

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

I have the dual m/c kit from NCA. It mounts a dual m/c behind the stock one. You gut the stock m/c and there's a rod that passes from the pedal, through it, and to the dual one. It's a bolt in deal.

11. It fits fine. I am running drums on both ends, it stops fine. With your setup and the right Bore MC, yours should be good as well. Look into the ECI kit.I sold a few and am happy with mine.

NOTE: my exhaust IS asymetrical, the drivers side dips under the MC.

12. cretin

cretin

I went with an underdash setup and a remote fluid resevoir under the hood

[​IMG]

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Excuse me but Vette's were 4 wheel disk from 66 on. The Camero early 70s would have been disk/drum.
    The old partsman !!

14. Yes they were John But they did not have any internal RPV's so you can use the Vette m/c under the floor and use external 10lb RPV's.

Todd

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
  15. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I got the valves ( both the proportioning valve and the residual valves, 2 and 10 lbs ) from summit. Its a tight fit but the new master fits in the same spot and used the same brake pedal, the hole in the floor didnt line up to well but I could still fill it from there. I had to order the master from napa cause it wasnt a stocking item, I just went off of what the instructions said, I didnt try to match up a new master cylinder. I think it was about $25.00. I ran my exhaust 2 into 1, 3" pipe down the pass side of the car.

The only thing I might do different would be to go with a smaller bore M/C. might have given me a better pedal ratio and stopped the car a little better, but I never got that far with it. It stoped way better than stock but I think there was still room for improvement, ( fwiw I had a ford 8.8 rear end with the stock mustang brakes on the rear )

16. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Homemade bracket, gutted stock master, vette 1" master (non power) ECI brackets up front and 55 rear, soon to get a s10 disc rear, and I use a adjustable valve to the rear. Works way better than drums, and since I don't keep it down at 55, I need better brakes.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im still running the stock MC
    would really like to get a Dual MC under the floor where the stock one is at, Is there an inexpensive way to make this happen?

Im still staying Drum / Drum
    just want the safety of a Dual MC

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

see above, with a mustang or chevelle drum master, say 66-67. I used some 10 ga steel and a 3/8 rod, took an afternoon with a mig.

19. this thread has been extremely helpful. thank you all for giving advice and some even with pics, pics are good:D

i've got a lot to consider here, i love having options...but that's probably the single best thing about building hotrods, is that theres no right or wrong way to do it. unless it's unsafe of course.

-marty

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

not tryin to rob the thread here, but after may, imma put a 350/700r4 in my 53..i want to redo the frt to disc and most likely find a drum rear for it...wanna make it safe for my wife to drive...so 2 things
    1. converting the frt to disc cost about how much, if i buy outta the book..
    2. how many diff rear ends are there for this conversion...or wjhat are you guys runnin>?thanks
    todd

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I got the ECI base kit and a friend used his employee discount at OReilly, all under $400 on the front, and I have a 55 rear currently, bolt in, or there are the nova/camaro rears that fit, or s10 4x4, but you have to weld new perches on. I would upgrade the rear springs, wheel hop was bad enough with the 235, a 350 would break the springs.

We'll talk at the revival, i'm sure.

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

DAMN! this is great! rp [kropduster] works at oriellys and he also gave me a 55 chev rear end thats out on my car hauler! whoo hoo!
    thanks man!
    ohh and you need to record anything we discuss at the RR, i sometimes get a lil tipsy and forget things...just ask the bombers cc, theyll tell ya!!!!!LOL

23. tooslow54

tooslow54

I got the MP kit for the front for about the same cost. Not sure now, but back then it was a toss up between the ECI and MP kits. I went with MP due to the fact the calipers were new instead of rebuilt.

On my rear-end I got that at a junk yard: '75 Nova $100. I then put in all new hardware and new drums (just to be safe). I think total investment on the rear end was $250. Also: you'll have to cut off the big Nova perches and weld on the "skinny" version to match your springs. (I used a new spring "kit" from RB's).

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks 53sled..its on my list of shit to do

25. Carla drives ours with drums and is perfectly happy with it. I have a 70 Nova rear in mine

26. cretin

cretin

I got a front disc kit from chassis engineering, that was less then $400. I'm running a late model camero rear end. If you go with a camero rear end I have disc brakes for that if you want it.

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

pm me the details if ya will please! what years your rear???:D